Flight Illusion v Air Manager

Everything about Flight Illusion hardware in combination with Air Manager or Gstep.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Flight Illusion v Air Manager

#11 Post by jph »

What's inside one of the FI 'gauges' ? - I can't see them being complex at all, but, have never seen one close up.
Get one ripped apart Kirk ! :lol: We need piccies :mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#12 Post by Ralph »

Some of them are quite simple with just one motor, but they also have a few that have more complex mechanics. Like this one: https://www.flightillusion.com/shop/mil ... indicator/
With needles, flags, etc... They have a 525 HSI, which is nice piece of work.

Kaellis991

#13 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:50 am What's inside one of the FI 'gauges' ? - I can't see them being complex at all, but, have never seen one close up.
Get one ripped apart Kirk ! :lol: We need piccies :mrgreen:
Below are pics of the first one that Matthijs sent me. Unfortunately, he had the FF needle installed with the wrong beginning point.
He was very kind enough to make another one and send it to me at no charge.
So I have an extra MP/FF gauge but I do not really want to take it apart even though I will probably never find a use for it.

Attached below is the calibration page in the GSTEP program for the FF part of this dual MP/FF gauge. I also had to calibrate the MP part of this gauge and the separate single needle RPM gauge.
It took a little less time to get the transponder configured.
The calibration for those gauges took me quite a long time. It's been over 6 months since I did that and frankly cant remember how I did it.

So the AM script will have to duplicate this calibration.
It would be nice if I didnt have to start two different programs (AM and GSTEP) to run all of my gauges, but how much effort will it take create the AM LUA script and duplicate the GSTEP calibrations?
Is it really worth the time and effort?

EDIT: Below is the calibration for the MP....
image.png
IMG_0663.jpg
IMG_0664.jpg
IMG_0665.jpg
image.png

jph

#14 Post by jph »

Nicely made ! - as is the RMI - that is quality.

Looks like a dual X27 concentric unit. (I listed one in my 'interesting hardware' thread). Cant tell the processor but pretty sure it's a PIC 16 / 18 by the xtal and cap values.
The connection to the outside world I have no idea. I am sure all the information is available or able to be deduced but I would tend to say - why bother ? . if it works fine then no need for AM.
Does the 'old' one do anything ? . I know you mentioned the wrong positioning - but does it actually operate but as if the scale is misaligned - or the needle movement is misaligned to the scale ?

I would imagine that they are supposed to be self calibrating X27 units which is done by simply stuffing them to one end and the other in code as it wont damage the unit.

They are nicely made I must admit.

Joe - ps, I had visions of trauma Kirk as per the last round gauge teardown. ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#15 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:26 pm Some of them are quite simple with just one motor, but they also have a few that have more complex mechanics. Like this one: https://www.flightillusion.com/shop/mil ... indicator/
With needles, flags, etc... They have a 525 HSI, which is nice piece of work.
THAT is neat ! :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#16 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:47 pm Nicely made ! - as is the RMI - that is quality.

Looks like a dual X27 concentric unit. (I listed one in my 'interesting hardware' thread). Cant tell the processor but pretty sure it's a PIC 16 / 18 by the xtal and cap values.
The connection to the outside world I have no idea. I am sure all the information is available or able to be deduced but I would tend to say - why bother ? . if it works fine then no need for AM.
Does the 'old' one do anything ? . I know you mentioned the wrong positioning - but does it actually operate but as if the scale is misaligned - or the needle movement is misaligned to the scale ?

I would imagine that they are supposed to be self calibrating X27 units which is done by simply stuffing them to one end and the other in code as it wont damage the unit.

They are nicely made I must admit.

Joe - ps, I had visions of trauma Kirk as per the last round gauge teardown. ;)

The first one works fine, it's the FF needle beginning point, ending point and range of motion that do not align with the gauge markings.
It's seems to me that the needle was just glued to the motor shaft in the wrong location. I am not really sure. I sent an email and pics to Matthjis and he just made another one for me.

I am inclined now to live with running two programs...it's just another couple of mouse clicks.

Ralph

#17 Post by Ralph »

You can make it start at a different location than zero, that's not really an issue. You would just have to find out what that position is.

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Yeah,
If you run the new gauge with the new code and without alteration. Meanwhile take off both needles from the 'old one'. Make a note of the needle positions in the 'new one' when powered up with no fs running Then take out the new gauge and plug in the old one with no needles. Power cycle it and and then push the needles back on in the same position as the new one with the power on.
That should sort it, or make a nice paperweight :).
As Ralph says though, unless the needle is physically fitted so the pointer is past the stops on the x27 then it will be adjustable in calibration.

(Kirk goes for hammer :lol: )
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#19 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:02 pm You can make it start at a different location than zero, that's not really an issue. You would just have to find out what that position is.
Based on Matthijs response, I believe it's a hardware issue. Perhaps the motor has a certain range of motion and it was incorrectly rotated in the case...perhaps the needle was attached to the motor shaft incorrectly.
Matthijs never mentioned anything about adjusting the software / calibration of the motor and that led me to believe it was a hardware problem.

Kaellis991

#20 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:15 pm Yeah,
If you run the new gauge with the new code and without alteration. Meanwhile take off both needles from the 'old one'. Make a note of the needle positions in the 'new one' when powered up with no fs running Then take out the new gauge and plug in the old one with no needles. Power cycle it and and then push the needles back on in the same position as the new one with the power on.
That should sort it, or make a nice paperweight :).
As Ralph says though, unless the needle is physically fitted so the pointer is past the stops on the x27 then it will be adjustable in calibration.

(Kirk goes for hammer :lol: )
I may pull out the sledge and do that later.... after I get this panel finished up.