Flight Illusion v Air Manager

Everything about Flight Illusion hardware in combination with Air Manager or Gstep.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Flight Illusion v Air Manager

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

For the Flight Illusions instruments I bought last year, I used the software downloaded from their website and after a lot of trial and error I finally got them working.
It took a while to find / configure an appropriate instrument but I got it done.

Recently, I read that AM can control the Flight Illusions board.
So I thought to look at what AM can do for my two FI gauges and Transponder.

I connected AM to the FI board and it found the instruments.
But I do not see any instruments that match the gauges.

Where do I go from here with AM for Flight Illusion....
....or is it even worth the effort to use AM to control the FI gauges?

Ralph

Re: Flight Illusion v Air Manager

#2 Post by Ralph »

If the required gauges are not available, then you can contact Flight Illusion and ask for those to be added.

Kaellis991

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 6:11 am If the required gauges are not available, then you can contact Flight Illusion and ask for those to be added.
Where would those instruments be added?
Will Flight Illusion create Xplane LUA scripts (i.e. instruments) that I would use in AM to connect to the gauges found when I connect to the FI board?

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

They are added as gauges to the current library, like all the ones that are there now.

Kaellis991

#5 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:17 pm They are added as gauges to the current library, like all the ones that are there now.
So the answer to my last question is yes?

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Yes and no, they're not X-Plane Lua script. They work with any of the simulators.

Kaellis991

#7 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:02 pm Yes and no, they're not X-Plane Lua script. They work with any of the simulators.
I guess that is what confuses me.
Many of the other scripts I have for my switches and other gauges need to read and write to xpl_datarefs or xpl_commands.
And also in the mix, the JustFlight Piper Arrow I am using has some proprietary datatrefs beginning with /thranda.

I'm anticipating that the dual needle MF/FF gauge that FI custom built for me will need to read and write to xplane datarefs for this specific piper aircraft.

I have it working with the GSTEP software, so what's the point of even going through all the re-configuration...I ask myself.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

If they use custom datarefs and commands then yes, they would need custom datarefs and commands. But if they are custom made for you then it is a little bit of a challenge.
You would either have to make your own scripts, or Matthijs would have to do it, but he would have to recreate those gauges at his facility. Or you would have to send them to him so he can use them to create the scripts. Various options.

Kaellis991

#9 Post by Kaellis991 »

Ralph wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:44 pm If they use custom datarefs and commands then yes, they would need custom datarefs and commands. But if they are custom made for you then it is a little bit of a challenge.
You would either have to make your own scripts, or Matthijs would have to do it, but he would have to recreate those gauges at his facility. Or you would have to send them to him so he can use them to create the scripts. Various options.
I sent an email to Matthijs asking about it.
My guess is, based on what you said, that I should just leave well enough alone.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

If you want to try it yourself, then we can help here on the forums. You can use an existing gauge script, clone it, and make modifications to it.