Can I use this actual aircraft potentiometer?

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Can I use this actual aircraft potentiometer?

#51 Post by jph »

Anyway.. where's my birthday cake ? ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#52 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:49 pm You are doing a cracking job Karl so keep it up.
Do you have the RPM etc wired up and working yet ?
Joe,

Thanks for the words of support and all of your help. Couldn’t have done it all on my own. Without the input from you, Keith and others, this project would never have been completed. It still isn’t finished but I’m at least on the final approach.

The RPM gauge and the manifold pressure gauge are from Flight Illusions and are working well. At least they were a couple of months ago when I tested them. Nothing is hooked up right now.

Kirk

Kaellis991

#53 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:54 pm Anyway.. where's my birthday cake ? ;)
Joe,

What does it cost to ship a birthday cake from Florida to Portugal?

Kirk

jph

#54 Post by jph »

Too much :lol:
Too many freeking candles. It would be a major fire risk. :D
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#55 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:19 pm Too much :lol:
Too many freeking candles. It would be a major fire risk. :D
Joe
Can’t send you any alcohol but I can send you some $$$ to buy it there… ;)

jph

#56 Post by jph »

Seeing your home cockpit progress is all that is needed :D

At some point, if you ever decided to the you could make a lovely top panel as per the real aircraft with a piece of 18mm MDF, some hole saws and a round over bit in a wood router. The Piper panel is excellent for home sim building due to the deep recesses. Someone into their carpentry could do this for you easily. The LCD panel(s) can sit behind so you look at the instruments through the holes. The glareshield pad in the Piper is nice and thick and could hide the corners of an LCD panel in there no worries.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#57 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:00 am Seeing your home cockpit progress is all that is needed :D

At some point, if you ever decided to the you could make a lovely top panel as per the real aircraft with a piece of 18mm MDF, some hole saws and a round over bit in a wood router. The Piper panel is excellent for home sim building due to the deep recesses. Someone into their carpentry could do this for you easily. The LCD panel(s) can sit behind so you look at the instruments through the holes. The glareshield pad in the Piper is nice and thick and could hide the corners of an LCD panel in there no worries.
The carpentry is the easy part. That was my profession some 40 years ago.
I built my panel from a layer of 6 mm thick laser cut plywood and a layer of black 5mm thick HDPE cut with my router using the plywood as a template.
The LCD panel for the main instruments was a scheme I experimented with a couple of years ago. Even bought the touch screen monitor. But because I couldn’t block the top of my desk for work reasons I went with this cockpit design. It’s a compromise between work and play.

Who knows…maybe the top part of the panel can happen when I retire.

jph

#58 Post by jph »

Yes, definitely something to consider for later as this design really does lend itself to home panel. There is a marvellous finish you can apply called 'wrinkle finish' which is amazing and gives a beautiful textured look. That itself can then be painted over to get the right colour.
I retired nearly 20 years ago so I have forgotten what it is like to have to do that horrible four letter word.... the 'w' word.... :shock:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#59 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:29 pm ….
I retired nearly 20 years ago so I have forgotten what it is like to have to do that horrible four letter word.... the 'w' word.... :shock:
That does translate into a LOT of candles….

jph

#60 Post by jph »

Lol, but I retired very early. Still got a year to go before my actual State pension. The joys of having a nice baby boomer index linked, final salary government occupational pension scheme eh. ;) absolutely no need to work past 50. Even earlier than that for me when I decided to walk away from the rat race.. Never looked back.. Only hard thing about it is making the decision in the first place. The rest is easy.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.