FS2020 Keyboard Stroke Generation?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

wazooda

FS2020 Keyboard Stroke Generation?

#1 Post by wazooda »

Is it possible with AM 4 to send keyboard strokes to FS2020 with AM 4? I'm using the Working Title G1000nxi mod since it is the closest to a G6 Perspective+ and it has the ability to use the keyboard for entering FPL waypoints. I'd like to have a GCU479 panel emulate a keyboard to enter the data on the QWERTY pad.

I appreciate all the help as I learn this amazing product,

-Paul

Ralph

Re: FS2020 Keyboard Stroke Generation?

#2 Post by Ralph »

No, we're also not going to introduce that, sorry.

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Using a standard keyboard is not possible as @Ralph says. However using a tablet is.
I have these GCU479 combos in the store for the HMB and Torquesim SR2x G6 aiframes and @russ has the HMB SR22T qwerty keypad. There is no reason why a simple keyboard instrument could not made.

ice_screenshot_20220621-210804.png
If MSFS2020 has the necessary events then it is possible.

It is also possible to build a 3D printed keyboard using tactile push buttons and an arduino with the "Button array" function.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

wazooda

#4 Post by wazooda »

Hey @Keith Baxter ,

Unfortunately, MSFS2020 does not have a GCU479 so there is no way to send events that emulate the QWERTY keyboards like your excellent Xplane version.

On the flip side, the G1000 emulation in Xplane is very basic which is why the Working Title G1000NXI MOD is so fantastic. Closest I've seen to my actual Perspective+ in my SR20.

I guess I'll make do with rotary knob entry until someone, hopefully, makes a true GCU479 for MSFS2020.

Thanks,

Paul

jph

#5 Post by jph »

you 'could' accomplish it using messageport an arduino with a 32u2 on board. Use the serial(1) for messageport and also run the Arduino USB Keyboard stack.
That way the PC sees an external USB HID keyboard and you have full control over it via AM via messageport.
Everything is possible (mostly ;) )
You could use AM to control ANY keypresses in this way for any aspect of any flight sim.
The same can be done with a USB HID game controller where AM has full control over any aspect of the axis and buttons.

AM is incredibly powerful.

The world is your crab.
:D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

frumpy

#6 Post by frumpy »

Ralph wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:14 pm No, we're also not going to introduce that, sorry.
May I ask for the reason behind this?
Speaking of me, I'm running several sims. I've got an old Saitek panel with gear lever and gear LEDs, which I would like to interface using AM.
Having a keyboard functionality would allow me to use only one single chip in the whole thing across simulators (okay, except LEDs in DCS).
This would greatly increase utility to me.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

Just not really feeling for it :) Maybe later.

frumpy

#8 Post by frumpy »

If there is anything we (as the users) could do to make you feel for it, tell us :)

Crunchmeister

#9 Post by Crunchmeister »

At this point, it's pretty much a sim limitation. AM talks to the sim via SimConnect. SimConnect doesn't accept straight keyboard interaction for entering text. I think you're hoping for something that at least the current time isn't possible. I could be wrong, but to the best of my understanding, that's how it is atm.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#10 Post by jph »

As I said above, you can do it using AM messageport. There is no need for native AM support.
Allowing uncontrolled native full key ouput acess from code to the unitiated is a recipe for total system carnage. Don't do it :shock:
It also doesn't need to have anything to do with simconnect or whatever the ms gane uses, it can be sent as native key commands as a keyboard emulation.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.