New procedure for Air Player 4 for Raspberry Pi

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

guda

New procedure for Air Player 4 for Raspberry Pi

#1 Post by guda »

Hello, I want to purchase an Air Player for Raspberry license.
As you explain in your shop and in the wiki pages (https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... stallation), we need now a "generic" Air player license.

Ok but I have the "predicated" Raspberry image already installed so:
1- Could I simply buy the new Air player license without to need to install or update the Air Player ARM?
2 -If no, how can we remove the previous Air Player version installed (embeded in the image) or how to deactivate the autostart (you didn't use "sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart")

thank you for your help

Dan

Ralph

Re: New procedure for Air Player 4 for Raspberry Pi

#2 Post by Ralph »

If you already have one or more 4.x Air Player Raspberry Pi licenses then you should have received a coupon code. It might have ended up in your spam folder.
You can send us an email and then we'll sort it out.

guda

#3 Post by guda »

The wiki page is too light. Which OS can we use (light or desktop)? what is the procedure to update/uninstall….)?

I have the feeling to be a beta tester and today I'm stuck due to the "multi Air player on raspberry's bug".

If it can’t help other users, please find below my procedure to deploy Air player 4 on Raspberry 3
Feel free to complete my post because I’m not Linux administrator and I can make mistakes.

1 – Download the raspberrypi OS For my Raspberry 3, I used 2022-04-04-raspios-bullseye-armhf.img 32-bit (Legacy)

2 – Install the OS image on the SD
  • I used Raspberry Pi Imager- I added specific configuration from the setting menu to include them straight in the OS
    - Change the hostname
    - Activate ssh
    - Create a pi account
    - Set the Wireless LAN (important to specify the country)
    - Set the time zone & keyboard
When the SD is ready,

For my own usage, I forced an ethernet IP:
  • On Windows from the SD card, /boot folder, edit the « cmdline.txt » file and add at the end of the first line (without return/carriage) “ ip=192.168.0.22 “

Mount the SD into the raspberry

if you need specific HDMI settings,
  • Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
    For example, add these lines

Code: Select all

# 2022/06 my hdmi settings
    hdmi_drive=1
    hdmi_group=2
    hdmi_mode=87
    hdmi_cvt 800 480 60 6 0 0 0
    max_usb_current=1
    display_rotate=2[color=#FF0000] #Beware from Raspberry Pi 4 or recent Pi OS, this settings to rotate the console doesn't work anymore --> use the desktop rorate feature[/color]
    Ctrl O to save
    Ctrl X to exit
Deactivate sleep mode
  • From sudo raspi-config,
    - display option
    - Disable Screen blancking (can be done from Desktop too)

Deploy Air player client
  • Download Air Player 32 bit (or 64): https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... stallation
    - With Mobaxterm (or other ssh client) copy the unzipped content into a directory (in my case, “/home/pi/AirPlayer4_32/”)
    REQUIEREMENTS: your raspberry needs an internet access in order to downlad dependcies (acess to the online YUM/RPM repositories)
    - Deployement + dependencies download

sudo sh ./setup.sh
    - Start Air Player for test (maybe made from root by sudo command but can gives X11 errors)

./Bootloader
    Control log file from /home/pi/”Air Player”/log.txt

tail -f /home/pi/”Air Player”/log.txt[/list]

Auto start at boot (at logon)
    From AirPlayer 4.1.4, boot is managed by the setup.sh installation. If you want to do it by yourself:

sudo nano /etc/xdg/lxsession/LXDE-pi/autostart
      @/home/pi/AirPlayer4_32/Bootloader
Currents bugs
  • This Air player release doesn’t support anymore resources with blank characters. If you try to use an image named “MY Image.png” it crashes the player
My issues
  • Work only with Desktop for now (I didn't find a way to start at boot without Desktop)
  • From Air Manager, if I ask to stop Air Player, it stops the process only, not the complete OS. It's maybe normal
HOW TO UPDATE

# Kill air player
    pkill AirPlayer
    ps -ef | grep Air # Check no AirPlayer processus

# Move the previous installation and create a new directory
    AirPlayer_Path='/home/pi/AirPlayer4_32'
    Curent_date=$(date +%Y%m%d)_2
    # move the current installation to the same directory with the extension _YYYYMMDD (date)
    mv $AirPlayer_Path $AirPlayer_Path'_'$Curent_date
    mkdir AirPlayer4_32
  • transfer the new AirPlayer files and install again
Last edited by guda on Tue Jul 05, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Huberflight

#4 Post by Huberflight »

Hello guda.

First of all, thank you for your installation description. It´s much better than the Wiki (Until today).

But i'm stuck now. I have installed the OS on my PI. Installed the AirPlayer data and run the setup.sh to download all the stuff.
Then i type in the "./bootloader" command and nothing happends (AirPlayer didn't start). When i restart the PI, i came back on the Desctop again and nothing more. Will mean, the AirPlayer will not start. I followerd the installation for the Autostart option but nothing happends.

I'm not an RPI Expert but can anybody help please? Or make it just as easy as it was before?

thx
When it looks not right, go around. It's easier to explain why you done it, than for others to finde out why you don't.

Huberflight

#5 Post by Huberflight »

RPI.PNG
This is how it looks
When it looks not right, go around. It's easier to explain why you done it, than for others to finde out why you don't.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

The wiki is limited because it is a generic ARM license, not specifically for Raspberry Pi.

guda

#7 Post by guda »

Hello Huberflight, I’m on the move. I check on Friday as soon as I come back

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

You don't have to use nano, the auto start is already built in. And as far as I can see the application is already running.

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

guda wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:01 am My issues
  • Work only with Desktop for now (I didn't find a way to start at boot without Desktop)
  • From Air Manager, if I ask to stop Air Player, it stops the process only, not the complete OS. It's maybe normal
- It is meant to work with desktop only, because this gives you all the features of the desktop. Like rotating a screen, and multiple monitors.
- Yes it is normal that it only stops the application, the same thing happens with the x86 version.

Huberflight

#10 Post by Huberflight »

Hello Ralph, hello guda.

Thanks for your fast reply.

My situation now is that AirPlayer is running on my RPI and I have an Instr. installed.
This communicates with X-Plane11 works (i had a network issue on top of all). Only the buttons are not running.

Wiki say's:
"For I/O support on the Raspberry Pi run Bootloader as root (sudo ./Bootloader)."
how can i do this? Sorry for the stupid question.

Just to clarify. The AirManager/ AirPlayer and the wiki are great tools.
So far I've always been able to solve all the problems I've had by doing my own research.
The instructions from guda are great. But sometimes too demanding for absolute RPI beginners like me ;) .

I'm now on the home stretch and will write a guide for "dummies" when i totaly finnished.
So others in this forum may benefit from it. Hope that's ok for all.