FS2020 PMDG 737 anyone working on instruments?

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

olof

FS2020 PMDG 737 anyone working on instruments?

#1 Post by olof »

This is a great model, just asking if anyone is converting or making new instruments/panels?

Ralph

Re: FS2020 PMDG 737 anyone working on instruments?

#2 Post by Ralph »

I'm wondering if they expose all the variables. In FSX and Prepar3D each aircraft required a custom plugin, and not all of the data was exposed.
I had a quick look at Hubhop from Mobiflight, and I see 110 items listed. So there is some hope it seems, but that's not nearly everything I'm afraid.

olof

#3 Post by olof »

PMDG_737_Event_Data_List.zip
(43.56 KiB) Downloaded 123 times
There is this.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Doesn't really say that much. It is completely unclear to me if you can fire these events like a normal event, or not, or if they even are for FS2020. I don't have the aircraft myself, so I cannot test anything.
I'm also not really interested in buying it or doing anything with PMDG. We tried to work with them in the past, but that did not really work that well.

Crunchmeister

#5 Post by Crunchmeister »

Those Mobiflight events on HubHop are all connected to lvars, so yes, it's a possibility to make AM instruments for it. But that list doesn't even come close to covering everything that's needed to make a functional 737 cockpit. That's more like the basics. Perhaps by digging into it in dev mode, more of the various lvars could be discovered. Although I don't have the plane myself and have no interest in it, so I can't say for sure. They may be using inaccessible vars and events for other functions.

On a side note, one of the major complaints cockpit builders have with the PMDG 737 is that they opted to code their instruments and gauges in C++ instead of the MSFS standard HTML/JS, so there's no way to pop out any of the screens from the sim. That's a big down side, as it would require someone to recreate these screens and the MCDU in AM. Not an impossible task in theory, but a rather major undertaking. It would take some incredible drive and desire to fly that plane to go that route. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

olof

#6 Post by olof »

Crunchmeister wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:35 pm
On a side note, one of the major complaints cockpit builders have with the PMDG 737 is that they opted to code their instruments and gauges in C++ instead of the MSFS standard HTML/JS, so there's no way to pop out any of the screens from the sim. That's a big down side, as it would require someone to recreate these screens and the MCDU in AM. Not an impossible task in theory, but a rather major undertaking. It would take some incredible drive and desire to fly that plane to go that route. I wouldn't touch that with a barge pole.
Yes no pop outs is sad.
How ever at some point in the future ASOBO will address this as there are a number of developers using C+ based code in FS2020. I am not holding my breath though, probably year or more from now.

I will add that the model is very nice to fly and very deep in systems and configuration options.

The flight model is fantastic it feels nice and heavy with the characteristic 737 pitch changes with power adjustments because of the low wings.

It is quickly becoming my go to TubeLiner. The C310 is my fav GA model, and it works great with AM.

Happy flying everyone. Although spring is glorious here in New England so my simming is taking up less of my time now. Time for a bike ride me thinks!

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,
What FCOM is it based on?

The quality of the modelling needs to comply with the FCOM. This gives Dev’s a base to dev instruments.

So knowing what FCOM is important. IMHO

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Crunchmeister

#8 Post by Crunchmeister »

olof wrote: Fri May 13, 2022 2:54 pm at some point in the future ASOBO will address this as there are a number of developers using C+ based code in FS2020.
C++ is a baseline for many folks. Developing the plane in C++ isn't really the issues. I won't profess to be an expert on this as I don't develop planes, but from my understanding, the standard that Asobo established for cockpit instrumentation (particularly glass cockpit stuff) is that they should be developed in HTML/JS. If this is the case, it would mean PMDG decided to deviate and do their own thing.

If my understanding of this is incorrect (wouldn't be the first time) and someone has info to enlighten me / us, that would be appreciated. But that's my basic understanding of it.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Sling

#9 Post by Sling »

PMDG have proved once again that they don’t give a stuff about cockpit builders. This situation is no surprise to me at all because they have a track record for making things difficult in this regard.

foxbau

#10 Post by foxbau »

It's great that you have opened up this topic
At the PMDG Forum you can find very usefully contributions on the various topics.
1. Simmers, the PMDG is just a week out, they will certainly provide more variables. Have you already looked at the Linda module? Or Aao?
https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/6189 ... -may-2020/

2. rsrandazzo has already been extremely emphatically pointed out the lack of pop outs. They are aware of the problem, but are partly dependent on Asobo. Possibly there will be a common WISH ITEM. The upcoming Asobo Multiwindow update may help.
https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum ... of-simmers

Solving all open this items, 90% from the "normal :-) simmers" would have to wait some more months only due to 10% Cockpit Builders.
I am shure it will come, else it was my last PMDG.

3. By the way my self made CDU is working with separate CDU/FMC display program and Linda buttons.

4. Now I am working on some AM 737 items.
I make a high-quality design, but only similar to the 737, due to use it for other Boeings.

My first tiller version with Knobster runs with MSFS Stock planes. But for the PMDG there is still some work, due to the Steering-mismatch.

My other project is the throttle panel. I want to see the control of all Items and for some switches like Idle, I don't have hardware buttons.

My favorite job is he picture modeling, I am not so good with coding.
AM.png
From Munich, George