Air Manager 4.1 not working on iOS 9.3.5

Help with Air Manager iPad version

Moderators: russ, Ralph

juanork2

Air Manager 4.1 not working on iOS 9.3.5

#1 Post by juanork2 »

Hi,I have three iPads 2, all of them on iOS 9.3.5 and since the new update 4.1 I can't get any of them to work at all, when I enter the app it freezes on the screen that says Air Manager 4.1 and then crashes. I tried deleting the app on all iPads and reinstalling again and it worked for a little bit but now a few hours later they are all crashing again, any idea before I upgrade to newer iPads?

Ralph

Re: Air Manager 4.1 not working on iOS 9.3.5

#2 Post by Ralph »

It seems to be specific to 9.3.5. Corjan is going to have a look, but he's abroad until the end of June, so it will take a while.

juanork2

#3 Post by juanork2 »

Ralph wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:16 am It seems to be specific to 9.3.5. Corjan is going to have a look, but he's abroad until the end of June, so it will take a while.
I really appreciate the response Ralph, thank you. Will wait patiently.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

Thank you for your patience!

Andrew73

#5 Post by Andrew73 »

Thank you for the update as I have the same issue, Will have to wait till the end of June then.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

It might be that my other colleague, Jasper, will look at it before Corjan comes back, but I'm not sure.

Mickolodias

#7 Post by Mickolodias »

I recently picked up an old iPad2... ok well, I stole it back from my kids who don't use it anymore!

First time I ran up AM 4.1 no problems.
But next day, I had the crashing problem

If I persist and just keep trying to start it, eventually it'll hold and be running, and then no problems, I can create new panels, switch panels, works like a charm!
Until tomrrow when I want to start it again... it might start first time, it might be the 50th, but eventually it starts, and once it does all good... just don't put the iPad to sleep :D

I was suprised to see that AM supported back to OS9, and while for you guys the easy thing to do would be to to say "naaah, you need a better iPad", support back this far is golden, bringing a low cost entry into touch screen panels for our cockpits!
I'm one of 'those' mac guys. (and I have no idea why I can't afford to eat)

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

Corjan is going to look at it when he's back in the Netherlands, which is in approximately two weeks.

Corjan

#9 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Just tested it here on an iPad 3 - iOS 9.3.6.
It all seems to work slow, but stable and with about 20 FPS.

Just compared the specs between the iPad 2 and iPad 3. The iPad 2 has 512 Mb of RAM, while the iPad 3 has 1GB.
My guess would be that the iPad 2 ran out of memory, and the app crashes for that reason.

Each instrument requires a bit of memory, maybe running to many at the same time makes the app crash.
I know there are apps around in which you can free up memory. Or you could try closing all other apps.

If that doesn't work, I'm sorry to say that this is not something I cannot fix, unfortunately this is aging hardware,

Corjan

Corjan

#10 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Did a bit more digging, and found out the source of the issue, which is quite interesting :)

iOS will kill any app that will stay in its splash screen for more then 20 seconds.
Air Manager will load all instruments when it starts up, which takes some time. Naturally, this is slower on older iPads.

In the latest AM release, we have added a bunch more instruments (I think from 600 to 1000 or so).
This increase makes it take longer then the allowed 20 seconds, and the app will be killed by the OS.

I have ideas to fix this issue, by loading the instruments after the splash screen. Will take some time before I find time to fix this though.

Corjan