FS2020 Variable Write Bug

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: FS2020 Variable Write Bug

#11 Post by Ralph »

I missed this message. I'll check it next week.

FLRob27

#12 Post by FLRob27 »

Thanks Ralph, it's a supper annoying bug! That siff file example should be pretty self explanatory. It's a huge bug in the Aerosoft CRJ on any instrument that doesn't start as a integer "0".
Developer
SIMSTRUMENTATION
EXTERMINATE THE MICE FROM YOUR COCKPIT!
https://github.com/Simstrumentation/Air-Manager

Crunchmeister

#13 Post by Crunchmeister »

It's an annoying bug, that's for sure. Not a show stopper by any means, but an annoyance. It affects pretty much any custom lvars of that start with a default state with a non-zero value. It affects my Kodiak 100 , C310R, and C414AW switch panels.

As an example, when a 3-way switch is controlled by lvar values 0 (down), 1(middle), 2(up) values and the initial default state of the switch is middle (1), you can't switch it into the down (0) position via Air Manager unless:
- you activate the switch in the virtual cockpit first
- using Air Manager, you put the switch in the up (2) position first

After meeting either of these 2 conditions, the AM switch will work as intended and you can switch it to any position. If the initial state of the switch is 0 however, the switch will work fine without any of these extra steps. It only seems to affect a an lvar with a non-zero default start state.

Not sure exactly what version of AM this was introduced in, but it used to work fine. When I originally designed the Kodiak switch panels, this wasn't a problem. They worked as intended. Then one of the AM updates early this year introduced this bug and it's been there since. Since then, every lvar that starts with a non-zero value is affected by this.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

I rather suspect that this is an issue in MSFS.

When the switch is at 0 (OFF), I can set it to 1 (ON) from Air Manager, and set it back to 0 (OFF) again from Air Manager.
The problem only comes up when you set the switch to 1 (ON) from within MSFS itself.

Air Manager writes the same value in both situations, because it has no way of knowing if you clicked the switch in the cockpit or not.

Ergo: issue in MSFS.

Tetrachromat

#15 Post by Tetrachromat »

I agree with @Ralph

It is an issue with uninitialized L-Vars. You can solve it by initializing the L-Var in any of the FLT-files (e.g. 'apron.flt'). Usually at the end of the FLT file there is a [LocalVars.0] section, if not, add it yourself, and add the initialization like this:

Code: Select all

[LocalVars.0]
DHC6_BUS_TIE=100
That should help.

Paul

Crunchmeister

#16 Post by Crunchmeister »

Ralph wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:42 pm I rather suspect that this is an issue in MSFS.
I don't doubt it's an issue in MSFS somewhere, but the problem came with an Air Manager update, not a MSFS one. It used to work just fine. We never had this issue with AM instruments. Then we got an AM update, and it's been showing this behaviour since.

I don't remember specifically which AM update it was though.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Ralph

#17 Post by Ralph »

Then still I suspect a coincidence. As mentioned, nothing is different in the writing in both situations.

jph

#18 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:41 pm Then still I suspect a coincidence. As mentioned, nothing is different in the writing in both situations.
Exactly, correlation does not imply causation !
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

FLRob27

#19 Post by FLRob27 »

Is there any way these can be investigated further?
These 2 bugs are really annoying.
It’s been so long I don’t even remember all the details.
But let me know what I can do to help troubleshoot!
Developer
SIMSTRUMENTATION
EXTERMINATE THE MICE FROM YOUR COCKPIT!
https://github.com/Simstrumentation/Air-Manager

Ralph

#20 Post by Ralph »

As mentioned: Flight sim issue.
You would have to address this to Microsoft.