Find the COM port an Arduino is using in Air Manager

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Detlef

Find the COM port an Arduino is using in Air Manager

#1 Post by Detlef »

Hi,

I do risk, that this has been asked before. Is there an easy way to find the COM port number, that AM is using in communicating with connected Arduinos? AM shows the channel ( A, B, C or D in my case). I ask because I disassembled and reassembled my cockpit when moving to another home. And when using the Arduino IDE, I flashed the wrong software image (the one using the message port interface) into an Arduino.

Thank you
Detlef

navymustang

Re: Find the COM port an Arduino is using in Air Manager

#2 Post by navymustang »

Go into Device Manager in Windows, then select PORTS. It will show you which port is being used. If still confused (if there is more than one) simply unplug your device and see what is left in the Device Manager PORTS listing.

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Detlef wrote: Wed May 04, 2022 5:30 pm Hi,

I do risk, that this has been asked before. Is there an easy way to find the COM port number, that AM is using in communicating with connected Arduinos? AM shows the channel ( A, B, C or D in my case). I ask because I disassembled and reassembled my cockpit when moving to another home. And when using the Arduino IDE, I flashed the wrong software image (the one using the message port interface) into an Arduino.

Thank you
Detlef
HI Detelf,
On the 'home' tab which is where it will open on startup, scroll to the bottom of the left hand pane. You will see a list of all the ports that AM is expecting a device to be on and also the name of the device if found on that port.
Compare this to Device manager.
Check for any discrepancies.

Any device using a port in device manager that is not showing in the AM 'searching for.. or connected list as shown above, then click on the DEVICE icon, then select arduino, then select the appropriate com port. AM will then 'map' this port to that device and connect and tell you the device 'name' that has been assigned.
Any 'unused' mappings can be removed from the left panel list on the home tab by right clicking on them and then select 'remove'
A device that uses a U2 usb serial, or FTDI etc will always keep the same com port 'number' whichever USB port it is plugged into, however, a device using a CH34X for example will always keep the com port enumeration (com number) ONLY if re-connected to the exact same port even down to port on a hub. If it moves physical ports then windows will assign a different com port number which AM will no longer be aware of. :shock:
This is not too much of an issue. If this occurs then check in device manager for the actual com port number in use on that device, then as above, go to 'DEVICE' icon and re-add the device. It will detect the previously given name and use that with the new com port number.
Hope that helps ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Detlef

#4 Post by Detlef »

jph wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 6:58 am On the 'home' tab which is where it will open on startup, scroll to the bottom of the left hand pane. You will see a list of all the ports that AM is expecting a device to be on and also the name of the device if found on that port.
Compare this to Device manager.
Check for any discrepancies.
Joe,

thank you, yes that certainly helps. One thing only: if you say "a list of the ports that AM is expecting a device to be on", you mean for example COM3, COM4 and so on? Because I think the COM port numbers only appear if I have not connected the Arduinos yet. After connecting I only see name like Arduino MEGA2560 (A) for example.

Detlef

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Hi Detlef,
Yes, exactly. Rather frustrating.
That is something that needs amending. It SHOULD preferably show the board 'name' AND the com port number after it has connected to be useful information to the user. I was playing around with multiple boards recently and due to issues exactly like this all my boards have a label with the board NAME on to clearly identify them. :shock: ;)
Something for when @Corjan gets back I think. It would be a definite improvement to list the Port alongside the name.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Detlef

#6 Post by Detlef »

I support that :)

And it happened again to me today. I accidentally programmed the wrong Arduino. I could correct that, no problem.

Thanks
Detlef

Shimokuta

#7 Post by Shimokuta »

Agree on this matter.
I have like 20 arduino’s connected, it’s difficult to determine which is which.