Issue recognizing multiple Arduinos via USB hub

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

erj145sim

Issue recognizing multiple Arduinos via USB hub

#1 Post by erj145sim »

Hello everyone,

I have 7 Mega 2560s connecting to my dev box via a single powered USB hub. The challenge I am having is that Air Manager does not consistently recognize all of them. Windows recognizes them every time (as per Device Manager), but Air Manager sometimes recognizes some of them (4 or 5), then other times it recognizes 6, and other times (less often) it may recognize all of them. It’s really Craps shoot. I thought it may have been related to a lack of power to the boards from the hub, but now I am also supplying each board with its own power. Same problem. Has anyone else had this issue? If so, were you able to solve it? Or is it an issue with usb hubs and the boards should be connected directly to the box? Asking here before going out and buying a bunch of long-enough USB cables…
Thanks in advance for any insight!

Marco

jph

Re: Issue recognizing multiple Arduinos via USB hub

#2 Post by jph »

Firstly try disabling power saving options and selective suspend. This is a reasonable guide.

https://www.hamoperator.com/Fusion/Fusi ... F-0023.pdf This also needs to be done for each hub.

Have you also tried other hubs ? - also, try plugging the hub into a different mainboard port.
Remember that a 7 port hub is almost guaranteed to simply be two four port hubs where the second 4 port hub is connected to one of the ports of the first 4 port - hence the reason for seven outlets.
Also the main board itself may well have lots of ports (mine has 17 for example), however, the majority of those ports are already a part of mainboard based hub system.

How many other hubs have you tried ? - is the issue the same with all the others ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

erj145sim

#3 Post by erj145sim »

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your help. I followed your suggestions: I tried two different hubs and switched computer ports and all that. Also changed all the power settings as per the great doc you shared - thanks for that! But… Still erratic results. Tried splitting boards between two hubs as well, then Air Manager also sometimes misses some of boards connected to the second hub - both hubs have the same issue, and they are different hubs altogether - brand, model, etc.
I notice that most of the time at least 3 boards get recognized without issue. Then, if I plug each board to the single hub one at a time, Air Manager recognizes each of them without a problem…

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Can you plug everything in, without AM running, then check device manager - ports (COM / LPT)
and tell me if ALL connected arduinos show up ?

Also, are your Arduinos running CH340 or 16U2 / 8U2 Serial USB converters ? - if unsure then just send a quick picture of one of the Arduinos if they are all the same
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

erj145sim

#5 Post by erj145sim »

Hi Joe,

Yes, they all show in Device Manager every time, flawlessly. They are all 16U2 boards…

Marco

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Hi Marco,

Is there any current combination with the mobo ports - use as many as you can - or other hubs that WILL work, that should also help to point to where the issue is.
Also, has it ever worked and if so, what changed.?
Also, have you any other programs running that may be using com ports ?
Also, only after all the ports are shown in device manager then fire up AM BUT DONT RUN ANY PANELS AND DONT RUN THE SIM. Just purely open AM.
The scroll to the bottom of the left hand list in the default tab (home) - and you should see a list of - 'searching on com 'x'' at the bottom. It will be either 'searching' or connected to 'device name 'x''

Wait for a bit and see what that shows.

Can you also post an image of the ports under device manager and also searching or connected ports at the bottom of the left hand side list under the home tab in AM to see how they compare. Again, for this test, let everything connect first and be displayed in Device Manager, then load AM ONLY - dont run any panels or the sim. Allow ample time for the 'searching on com x' list to populate with -hopefully - connected results. then post a couple of screen grabs of those parts.
Cheers,
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.