diy knobster not affecting instruments

Discuss suspected bugs with other users and Sim Innovations Staff

Moderators: russ, Ralph

dpiddy

diy knobster not affecting instruments

#1 Post by dpiddy »

My diy knobster using an arduino UNO is no longer functioning. I can mouse click the instrument knob and it turns yellow. I turn the knobster and see feedback on the knob itself turning but the altimeter reading etc. wont adjust.

Using 4.1.3 and the cessna 172 panel or the comm panel. Worked fine the last time I used FS2020, shows connected on bottom right. Tried entering manually with the IP address. Deleted the knobster and re-created it. The knobster on channel A shows up as expected. I re-installed the plug in. No luck.

Any suggestions? Will reinstall of air manager remove my custom panels and clones / custom software?

Ralph

Re: diy knobster not affecting instruments

#2 Post by Ralph »

That has nothing to do with the Knobster, but the connection. Unless you are able to adjust with the mouse, but I suppose that doesn't work as well.
Showing connected to FS2020 doesn't guarantee that messages to the simulator will arrive. So you have to look into things like the firewall, other security software, router, setting a fixed IP address in Air Manager, etc...

dpiddy

#3 Post by dpiddy »

Thanks for your comments. You are correct, while the mouse works in the FS2020 cockpit, I am not able to turn the knobs with the mouse on the air manager screens. Everything is installed on a single pc, is the firewall/router network etc. really the likely culprit? Turned off virus protection, no difference.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

In that case yes, something in the network is the issue. Sometimes it helps to set the IP address and flight simulator manually in the Air Manager Settings tab. In your case that would be 127.0.0.1
Also make sure that you are using the latest plugin.
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... stallation

jph

#5 Post by jph »

dpiddy wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:56 pm Everything is installed on a single pc, is the firewall/router network etc. really the likely culprit?
(ah, I overlapped with you Ralph - I will still leave the info up though as it may be useful)
Even though everything is on a single PC, the 'network' can be still be an issue but I can see it being a weird thing to grasp. The 'network' refers to both internal and external parts of the system. This is often where confusion occurs. Programs that use connections relying on TCP / UDP on the same machine are still looking for a connection (IP) address. On single machine communication then ALL machines have a reserved IP address of 127.0.0.1 to use as a 'loopback' or 'home' address. If any program wants an IP address of the 'destination' and it is on the same machine then use this address. Quite often a program can 'find' a local instance of a destination program but it is far better to point the program to the loopback address in case of local install.

You can even get a tee-shirt with 'There is no place like 127.0.0.1' written on it ;)

If you open a cmd prompt or Powershell then you can see the results by using the groper (PING) command.
Type PING 127.0.0.1 and press return, you should see echo replies.
You 'can' actually use the IP address of your machine (which can be found with IPCONFIG from CMD or Powershell, but don't do this as it is quite likely to change under some circumstances whereas the loopback reserved address - 127.0.0.1 will never change and always refer to the specific machine.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

dpiddy

#6 Post by dpiddy »

Thanks for your thoughtful response and ideas but so far, no luck.

I assigned both 127.0.0.1 and the ping at command prompt worked as expected. I also tried the assigned network 192.x.x.x address as well, no luck. Note, this worked for months without using this feature.

I re-installed the plugin, the air manager and FL2020 including all the updates. Upon loading fs2020 got a firewall prompt and I allowed the access. Just like when I first installed FS. I even updated NVIDIA for kicks.

Still shows connected to fs2020, still allows mouse select, the uno makes the image of the knobs move but no affect on the altimeter, the attitude adjustment or various bugs etc.

I also tried different input modes, is mouse and touch ok or just use default or completely unrelated?

jph

#7 Post by jph »

dpiddy wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:27 pm Thanks for your thoughtful response and ideas but so far, no luck.

I assigned both 127.0.0.1 and the ping at command prompt worked as expected. I also tried the assigned network 192.x.x.x address as well, no luck. Note, this worked for months without using this feature.

I re-installed the plugin, the air manager and FL2020 including all the updates. Upon loading fs2020 got a firewall prompt and I allowed the access. Just like when I first installed FS. I even updated NVIDIA for kicks.

Still shows connected to fs2020, still allows mouse select, the uno makes the image of the knobs move but no affect on the altimeter, the attitude adjustment or various bugs etc.

I also tried different input modes, is mouse and touch ok or just use default or completely unrelated?
Hi, that would tend to rule out internal TCP as an issue. Sorry but I cannot offer anything further as purely use X-Plane. Hope you get sorted.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

dpiddy

#8 Post by dpiddy »

I started FS2020 just now, it said an update was available, and bingo, it all works again!

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Good old MS and Asobo eh ?
:roll:
Give it 10 years and it might be stable. (or, another week and then the next 'update' breaks it again) :shock:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.