RXP GPS 530 and 430 overlay for P3D

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

gascrich

RXP GPS 530 and 430 overlay for P3D

#1 Post by gascrich »

Hi,

I recently added FSX events to the RXP 430 GPS Overlay, and my work was published as a modification to the profile. It works well, as long as you have only one RXP GPS.

I just bought the 530 RXP GPS, and I tried to implement the FSX events on the same basis as the 430. I assign the 530 as Master device. The problem is that when I click on the 430 overlay, it affects the 530 GPS, but not the 430.

When I look at the "RealityXP GNS.XML" file, it seems that they use "L:RXP_GNS_...._(1 or 2)", "number" to assign changes to the instruments. These are not variables, because we do not see them in the viewer.

I also noted that in the case of PDMG, we can use their specific events in Air Manager.

Can someone tell me if it is possible to do it with the RXP events. And if so, do I have to make a specific change, so Air Manager will see these events, like those of PDMG.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Ralph

Re: RXP GPS 530 and 430 overlay for P3D

#2 Post by Ralph »

PMDG is a completely different story. You will will just have to use the RealityXP events.

gascrich

#3 Post by gascrich »

Thank you Ralph,

I found the solution, and it is in the Reality XP documentation.

"Flight Simulator commands have a parameter which is generally only used for actions requiring a value, like the position of a flap lever. Other actions which toggle or trigger a state change usually pass the value 0. The GNS uses this existing parameter in order to modify the "KEY_GPS" (C++) or the "GPS" (XML) command action. This enhances integration between the GNS and 3D cockpit models, add-ons modules, any other XML or C gauges. The command parameter is interpreted as a bit-field where each binary digit represents a specific modifier:
• Bit #2: press and hold the button if set.
• Bit #3: release the button if set.
• Bit #4: command to GPS unit #2 if set, to GPS unit #1 if clear.

Sending the MSG key press-release event to GPS#1: GPS_MSG_BUTTON, 0
Sending the MSG key press-release event to GPS#2: GPS_MSG_BUTTON, 8 = bit4 (8)"

So, all I have to do is define a new local g_unit_fsx variable with values of 0 and 8 and assign it depending on the device choice made in the menu.

I am now able to send commands to each device #1 or #2 independently.

Frankly, it is a new information for me regarding events in FSX or P3D.

Now, I will modify the 2 overlays, test them, and submit them for the community.

Richard

Ncngrr

#4 Post by Ncngrr »

"So, all I have to do is define a new local g_unit_fsx variable with values of 0 and 8 and assign it depending on the device choice made in the menu."

Those look like English words, but I don't know to implement this change.

I opened "modeldef (RealityXP GNS V2).xml" using Notepad++ and found an instance of RXP_GNS_ENT_BUTN_1 and RXP_GNS_ENT_BUTN_2. I didn't see anything needing to be changed.

In Air Manager v4.1.3, I identified "Generic - Garmin GSN 530 Overlay" User Properties as GPS 1 and RealityXP... and "Generic - Garmin GNS 430 Overlay" User Properties as GPS 2 and RealityXP.

Still, when I click on the 430 overlay, it affects the 530 GPS, but not the 430. I'm unable to control the GNS 430. I am using the NoBezel = True feature, instead trying to control the GNS units using the overlays in Air Manager.

I am not a computer programmer, so describing it as Richard did, above, will not get me there. I need more complete details of exactly what I must change.

Please help.

Thank you.

Scott

JackZ

#5 Post by JackZ »

I am not a computer programmer, so describing it as Richard did, above, will not get me there. I need more complete details of exactly what I must change.

Please help.
Or just wait for the OP to submit his true and tested modifications, as he explicitly stated he will do eventually?
If you're not a programmer, there is no way you can "easily" implement those modifications, as the code has to be slightly changed in many places to work.
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

JackZ

#6 Post by JackZ »

gascrich wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:49 pm Thank you Ralph,

I found the solution, and it is in the Reality XP documentation.

"Flight Simulator commands have a parameter which is generally only used for actions requiring a value, like the position of a flap lever. Other actions which toggle or trigger a state change usually pass the value 0. The GNS uses this existing parameter in order to modify the "KEY_GPS" (C++) or the "GPS" (XML) command action. This enhances integration between the GNS and 3D cockpit models, add-ons modules, any other XML or C gauges. The command parameter is interpreted as a bit-field where each binary digit represents a specific modifier:
• Bit #2: press and hold the button if set.
• Bit #3: release the button if set.
• Bit #4: command to GPS unit #2 if set, to GPS unit #1 if clear.

Sending the MSG key press-release event to GPS#1: GPS_MSG_BUTTON, 0
Sending the MSG key press-release event to GPS#2: GPS_MSG_BUTTON, 8 = bit4 (8)"

So, all I have to do is define a new local g_unit_fsx variable with values of 0 and 8 and assign it depending on the device choice made in the menu.

I am now able to send commands to each device #1 or #2 independently.

Frankly, it is a new information for me regarding events in FSX or P3D.

Now, I will modify the 2 overlays, test them, and submit them for the community.

Richard
Nice find. Seems to me that you should use button pressed events instead?

Sending the MSG key press-pressed event to GPS#1: GPS_MSG_BUTTON, 1 (bit1 (1))
Sending the MSG key press-pressed event to GPS#2: GPS_MSG_BUTTON, 9 (= bit4 (8) +bit1 (1))

and for the CLR (long press) that resets the display to default :

Sending the MSG key press-pressed and held event to GPS#1: GPS_CLR_BUTTON, 2 (bit2 (2))
Sending the MSG key press-pressed and held event to GPS#2: GPS_CLR_BUTTON, 10 (= bit4 (8) +bit2 (2))
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

gascrich

#7 Post by gascrich »

Hi everyone,

I did submit my changes to the community and got a message from Ralph that the new overlays should be made available at the next Air Manager update.

To JackZ

Thank you for your suggestions, and will see how it works.
I will inform you of the results.

Regards

Richard

Ncngrr

#8 Post by Ncngrr »

Thank you, Richard! I look forward to getting these two RXP GNSs to work together properly.

Scott