"Hardware Instruments" or what....

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: "Hardware Instruments" or what....

#11 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi
Corjan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:00 am We didn't want to rip out the hardware support from the instruments, cause that will break a lot of stuff :)
Yes that is true. Is there a way of running a scan on how many instruments it would break? I am guessing 5 or 6 maybe.
Corjan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:00 am But I think it would be smart to keep hardware code in hardware functions as much as possible.
Yes I agree 100%. However what about instruments that are hardware reliant. Instruments that are meant for operation with hardware functions only and have no soft functions?
Corjan wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:00 am Allowing people throwing additional files in it would probably become a mess.
We Agree that extra files are a No No.
Not sure you agree. But adding in mountains of change logs and other bla bla bla into a script is also a no no.
Allowing a readme.txt file with all this blab and links to builds and sources could be a compromise.

What you think?

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

Re: "Hardware Instruments" or what....

#12 Post by jph »

Keith you old goat ;)
Sorry if I seem a bit 'negative' .. however, let's move on.. I can DM you offline - lots going on here.

Anyway.

Am I correct in thinking that you want -

A link to a hardware instrument - Virtual - as in - there is no physical item, effectively in the form of a DIY instruction set along with a base or complete ? 'code' to operate said virtual instrument.
I use the term 'virtual' here to mean that there is no physical entity unless one builds it - it is more or less a set of instructions - which I agree - may be highly detailed and combined with all files / links to various programs to fulfil the completion ?

Also, that this you would like that this is available within - or linked directly FROM the AM interface / IDE ?

EXAMPLE OF A PROJECT -

As in - ' here is a collection of files / links to what you could build if you follow the instructions and assemble / build / produce all the parts and then when completed and tested and working - then also provided here is some sample code' ?

Here is an example of such for a relatively 'simple device'
https://www.instructables.com/Make-Your ... th-an-RTC/

This is not difficult to make at all - for someone with all the equipment and skills - However, you can see the complexities of the parts / components / boards etc needed to assemble this actual device. - Also, you would almost certainly need, or have access to - a 3D printer - which not many have " - a facility to make the PCBs (ability to send the appropriate files to - usually - China to have a minimum of 5 boards made -, appropriate sources of components, (usually hugely expensive in small quantities !!!) - necessary assembly and soldering skills also full diagnostic and fault finding skills for when it doesn't work !
There are many ways to make this kind of device, I have made many, however, each design / build may well need /probably WILL need different coding depending on the type of build.

This is just a tiny actual example of what I 'think' you are trying to achieve - and this does not include ANYTHING to do with AM ! - which would be a nightmare scenario me thinks.
www.instructables.com - your issue is solved.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.