AM4.2

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: AM4.2

#11 Post by Ralph »

I'm not saying it'll be come a feature ;) But we'll discuss it. At least something to make a back up. I think we should also make it so that when Air Manager does an update, the config.sqlite3 gets stored somehow, before it gets updated. There are a few people that lost their panels, and I can understand that this s*cks. Once 4.1 is stable, we'll make a roadmap.

cgytm

#12 Post by cgytm »

jph wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:04 pm I would imagine that >99% of users have not the slightest interest in github at all....
Be more user oriented!

I am 78 and an exception. I am new to this and to electronics. And moreover I am French speaking which is another added difficulty.

Last year I made a Knobster. This year I made a Parking brake switch with a led and a complete Landing gear, all working on an Arduino with Mobiflight. As a matter of fact I make everything in double as I have a complete and similar setup on 2 locations.

I never created an Instrument and I doubt I will ever. I just assembled existing instruments on a premade pannel but my most important difficulty until now is exporting them!

Your software is very well made but oriented toward an ultimate goal that the vast majority will never reach and are not interested to reach. I am not sure that you have this in mind. You have more than one goal, you have intermediate ones.

So, keep the solution in line with the KISS principle!

Forget GitHub! Their Website is the worst example to follow! It necessitates a PH. D. to make a simple download!

Many thanks! You are still a wonderfull team with an exceptional product that needs to be more accessible.
Normand Choinière, Québec, Canada, French speaking.

jph

#13 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:17 pm I'm not saying it'll be come a feature ;) But we'll discuss it. At least something to make a back up. I think we should also make it so that when Air Manager does an update, the config.sqlite3 gets stored somehow, before it gets updated. There are a few people that lost their panels, and I can understand that this s*cks. Once 4.1 is stable, we'll make a roadmap.
Hi Ralph
Any backup should 100% be on the local machine NOT on some internet site. At the moment with AM even the location of the user folders is in the worst place possible - forget what MS recommends, this is not the place that the vast majority of programs store user accessible data. Yes, you could put a short cut to it on your desktop.... but ... it should be optional during the install to use any directory - for example under 'documents' or whatever the user wants. It is a damn site easier to work from there. Also the folder names for the user panels / instruments really need to made far far more user friendly as they are seemingly nonsensical at the moment and mean absolutely nothing in respect of the contents and identification for the user.
The folders should be able to be called whatever you like and options for open and save / save as should be available to the user. The arduino IDE is a great example of allowing the user full flexibility - right from the install location !. :)
I also think that concentrating on a pure windows only version is a good way forward. Supporting really fringe systems (In the flight sim context) like Linux and Mac is I would say, definitely not worth the effort and if you look at X-Plane for example, is THE biggest issue they have. If they had been windows only AND worked in DirectX the sim would be years ahead yet because Austin used a mac originally he still wants it supported on the mac.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#14 Post by Ralph »

@cgytm I understand, a 'basic' back up / export function should the minimum.

@jph We still have a quite a few Mac and Linux users. We're also thinking about turning Air Player for Raspberry Pi into an ARM version of Air Player. That way you can run it on an Odroid for example. But we will have to see if the performance stays up with having the whole desktop running. For the Pi 4 this would mean that you also can profit from screen rotation and a mouse cursor.

Keith Baxter

#15 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:19 pm @cgytm I understand, a 'basic' back up / export function should the minimum.

@jph We still have a quite a few Mac and Linux users. We're also thinking about turning Air Player for Raspberry Pi into an ARM version of Air Player. That way you can run it on an Odroid for example. But we will have to see if the performance stays up with having the whole desktop running. For the Pi 4 this would mean that you also can profit from screen rotation and a mouse cursor.
Ralph,

TWO hdmi screens from the RPi4 and rotate both?

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#16 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:19 pm

H Ralph, I think there is a huge difference between items such as Pi and SOC uses and desktop machines.
Obviously you know the number of users with Mac or Linux for desktop. It is always a balance between the cost of developing and supporting disparate systems and the return on investment which obviously only you can answer.
I fully understand the Pi and SOC stuff and would expect nothing less ;) . These things are the future for low power basic systems. A true SOC ARM version of AP would be amazing. It is the desktop side I am referring to for the main program. I still think many people miss a trick by not using an old corporate windows box that can usually be had with a quad output GPU for about 100 euros. By far the best option me thinks :)
But, if and when the 'chip shortage' finally ends, which there is no rush to do as the foundries are making more money than they ever made - then things like the Pi 4 become cost effective. At the moment, I wouldn't think of buying a Pi4 as it is almost - or in most cases - the same cost or more as an ex corporate windows box that I can hook up as many monitors as I need, also as many external devices. Also, the 100 quid includes the Win 10 license as the boxes are always eligible for upgrade (well, I have 3 and they all updated to win 10 with no issue at all simply from the UEFI bios. Have you seen the price of the Pi4 at the moment ? Yikes. ! - there only seems to be two 3 Pi units available, the PICO, the Zero 2 W, and the basic low level Pi4. There are some scalpers wanting over a 100 euros for a 4 that should be costing 35.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jschr

#17 Post by jschr »

Hi,
an option to start AM minimized would be really great.
Cheers, :)
Juergen

jph

#18 Post by jph »

jschr wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 8:28 am Hi,
an option to start AM minimized would be really great.
Cheers, :)
Juergen
why ? - what would the benefit be to you ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#19 Post by Ralph »

It would prevent the operation of minimizing it each time, I can imagine that this is annoying. That's kinda what Air Player solves.

SimPassion

#20 Post by SimPassion »

To minimize, at least an existing solution already mentioned :

https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... 671#p46671

To change location of personal instruments repository, be aware though, not to include any space (blank char) in <your_custom_path> as mentioned through the link below :

https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... 211#p26211

Code: Select all

"<air manager application folder location>\Bootloader.exe" -a "-config_path <your_custom_path>"
https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... 6552#p6552

https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... 9240#p9240