Twin Otter Premium Panel

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Twin Otter Premium Panel

#31 Post by jph »

He's asking about the premium panel, not the 'community' one as you call it. As I mentioned, Ralph will be converting the excellent paid version when he has time. It will be well worth the wait. ;)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

boris4356

#32 Post by boris4356 »

Thank you for all your help!
The import worked well and will help until a complete panel is finished.

Bill

Tetrachromat

#33 Post by Tetrachromat »

Hi Bill

This is my layout for the 'main panel' I have created created in February this year, while wating for the premium panel.
LC2 - DHC-6 Main Panel.png
On a second screen i also display the following layout for the 'switches panel'
LC2 - DHC-6 Overhead Panels.png
This is just to show what can be achieved with community resources. I might give you some ideas how to go forward with your own panels.

Paul

boris4356

#34 Post by boris4356 »

Tetrachromat wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 5:09 pm Hi Bill

This is my layout for the 'main panel' I have created created in February this year, while wating for the premium panel.

LC2 - DHC-6 Main Panel.png

On a second screen i also display the following layout for the 'switches panel'

LC2 - DHC-6 Overhead Panels.png

This is just to show what can be achieved with community resources. I might give you some ideas how to go forward with your own panels.

Paul
Hi Paul,
Your panels look really good!
That would be appreciated if you give give me some ideas.

Bill

Tetrachromat

#35 Post by Tetrachromat »

One of my 'hacks' is to use a preview image as a background image for my personal panels.

There are some really nice images that can be used as backgrounds in the following folder:
- C:\Users\<your username>\Air Manager\cache\previewimages\panel_layouts

For example the preview image file for the DHC-6 main panel is:
- c89c84e5-06ff-4fa2-9813-217cf0ed9d63.png

Use it as the 'Custom image' for your panel created in the 'Home' tab, or as the 'Backgound image' when created in the 'Create/edit' tab.

Then add some community instruments to the panel and size and move them to the location wher the original is shown.

Paul

P.S. Just don't publish it as your own creation, but for your own personal use its fine.

boris4356

#36 Post by boris4356 »

That's really cool!

Thanks,
Bill

Ralph

#37 Post by Ralph »

@Tetrachromat I gave the conversion a try, but there a lot of things that I cannot get going. The automatic and manual switch for example. I can read its status, but I cannot find the right event to set it, nor does it work writing the position. Did you manage to make that one work for example?
It is probably because I am not really a FS2020 expert. I was able to make the switch move with the Behavior window, but not from Air Manager.

Tetrachromat

#38 Post by Tetrachromat »

@Ralph The same with me. I can read the position variables for the guard and the switch, but when writing to the variables the guard cover and switch lever do not get animated. And I do not even know if the ignition system state changes at all. I keep the switch in NORMAL and GUARDED all the time.

This is the code I use:

Code: Select all

-- Ignition Mode Controls 
local ignition = {
-- Guard Cover ( Up / Down ( ) 
  guard = { GUARDED = 0, UNGUARDED = 1,
    set = { var = "L:XMLVAR_DHC6_IGNITION_MODE_GUARD", unit = "Number" },
    get = { var = "L:XMLVAR_DHC6_IGNITION_MODE_GUARD", unit = "Number" }
  },
-- Mode Switch (true = Normal,  false = Manual )
  mode = { NORMAL = 0, MANUAL = 1, HIDDEN = 2,
    set = { var = "L:XMLVAR_DHC6_IGNITION_MODE_switch", unit = "Number" },
    get = { var = "L:XMLVAR_DHC6_IGNITION_MODE_switch", unit = "Number" }
  }
}

ignition.guard.position = ignition.guard.GUARDED
ignition.mode.position = ignition.mode.NORMAL

-- Set Ignition Guard Cover 
ignition.guard.write = function ()
  fs2020_variable_write(ignition.guard.set.var, ignition.guard.set.unit, (ignition.guard.position + 1) % 2)
end		
ignition.guard.switch = switch_add("guard_down.png", nil, 528, 147, 76, 179, ignition.guard.write)

-- Set Ignition Mode
ignition.mode.write = function (_, dir)
  if ignition.guard.state == ignition.guard.UNGUARDED then
    fs2020_variable_write(ignition.mode.set.var, ignition.mode.set.unit, (ignition.mode.position + 1) % 2 )
  end
end	
ignition.mode.switch = switch_add("toggle_down.png", "toggle_up.png", nil, 505, 185, 120, 120, ignition.mode.write)

ignition.mode.indicate = function ()
  if ignition.guard.position == ignition.guard.GUARDED then
    switch_set_position(ignition.mode.switch, ignition.mode.HIDDEN)
  else
    switch_set_position(ignition.mode.switch, ignition.mode.position)
  end
end

ignition.guard.indicate = function ()
  switch_set_position(ignition.guard.switch, ignition.guard.position)
end

ignition.mode.update = function ( mode ) -- 0 = NORMAL, 1 = MANUAL
  ignition.mode.position = mode
  ignition.mode.indicate()
end

ignition.guard.update = function ( guard ) -- 0 = GUARDED, 1 = UNGUARDED                  
  ignition.guard.position = guard
  ignition.guard.indicate()
end

fs2020_variable_subscribe(ignition.mode.get.var,  ignition.mode.get.unit, ignition.mode.update )
fs2020_variable_subscribe(ignition.guard.get.var,  ignition.guard.get.unit, ignition.guard.update )

There is also an issue with the ENG IGNITION L/R controls, because there are no variables to read/write.

Paul

Ralph

#39 Post by Ralph »

Thank you for your script. I was afraid for this. These are just a few, there are many others. I will contact the developer, hopefully he has a solution. If not then I think I won't be converting this panel, too many things that will not work properly.

Tetrachromat

#40 Post by Tetrachromat »

I found the following information on the Aerosoft forum, it relates to the FSX/P3D version but I assume the systems did not get much changed.

This is about the two igniter switches:
The 'No.1/both' switches (left and right) don't appear to have any significance in the sim. I have always presumed they represent a dual ignition system that is more efficient or more robust.
This is about the guarded manual/normal ignition switch:
The 'Normal/Manual' switch does have significance in the sim. When it is at 'Normal', the igniters fire only during the start sequence - you can hear them clicking when you hold the start switch left or right. Once the engine lights, it is self-sustaining and so the igniters stop firing. If you move the switch to the 'Manual' position (which would more logically be called 'Continuous'), the igniters fire continuously.
and
'Manual' ignition is for flame-outs due to icing or for other reasons, such as flying in heavy turbulence.
Paul

Edit: The current manual (MSFS v1.0.6) has an explanation of the ignition system on page 52..53.
Reads:
It should be noted that the starter button will not function if the ignition is in the MANUAL switch position.

and
However, this switch ('No.1/both') .. is only used for maintenance purposes
Which I interpret as 'not operational'.
Last edited by Tetrachromat on Thu Sep 08, 2022 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.