G5 HSI DTK - Auto Slew not working

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

vggap

G5 HSI DTK - Auto Slew not working

#1 Post by vggap »

I have added Garmin G5s to my panel and everything works great except for auto slew.

When i load a flight plan on x-plane GNS 430, G5 HSI gets distance information correctly, but does not auto slew DTK. Did any one else had this issue? I looked at the settings under G5s but did not find anything on Auto Slew or DTK. Probably i am overlooking. If any one experienced this issue and successfully solved, please let me know.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ralph

Re: G5 HSI DTK - Auto Slew not working

#2 Post by Ralph »

As also described in our G5 user manual, it is not a 1:1 simulation of the real unit. But aside from that, I can't find anything in the G5 user manual about auto-slew. So how sure are you that this is a real life feature?

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:49 am As also described in our G5 user manual, it is not a 1:1 simulation of the real unit. But aside from that, I can't find anything in the G5 user manual about auto-slew. So how sure are you that this is a real life feature?
Hi Ralph, it is in from V3 or so of the actual firmware - see https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... p?id=10355 (press F3 in windows and enter auto-slew)
As you rightly said though, it is not a 1:1 representation. If it was then I would expect the price to be HUGE and also a legal cease and desist from Garmin :)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

I don't really keep track of Garmin's development. There's some autopilot issues I have to fix first, before I would add this. In other words, it can take quite a while before you'll find this feature added. Unless you pay me significant amounts of money :lol:

I'm not sure if Garmin would bother. RealityXP is using their software for commercial purpose. Still dazzling... But that's a whole different topic.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 11:43 am I don't really keep track of Garmin's development. There's some autopilot issues I have to fix first, before I would add this. In other words, it can take quite a while before you'll find this feature added. Unless you pay me significant amounts of money :lol:

I'm not sure if Garmin would bother. RealityXP is using their software for commercial purpose. Still dazzling... But that's a whole different topic.
Yikes ! :o :shock: :?
Millennials don't pay money. :P

This is deep - but - ;) enjoy.. I have been here 65 years now so I understand this guy. Money ? values ? social skills ? - worth watching to the end.

and don't EVER get me started on the 'woke' generation or cancel loony left idiots as the abuse I would give may carry a government health warning. Sorry going OT, may open one in the general area. It just rocked my boat and it sank. :o :? :?
Merry Effing Xmas and Ho Ho Fecking Ho ... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

vggap

#6 Post by vggap »

Ralph wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:49 am As also described in our G5 user manual, it is not a 1:1 simulation of the real unit. But aside from that, I can't find anything in the G5 user manual about auto-slew. So how sure are you that this is a real life feature?
Thanks Ralph. It is a real life feature - i see it on my aircraft. This feature is (probably) not worth incorporating here as we can set it manually. I was just curious if i am overlooking/missing any settings/configs. I noticed a few times auto slew happening when i used stock C172. I will spend some more time and see if i can narrow in what scenarios it is working. Thanks for the response!

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

It might be a nice feature to add in a future version.
Is this something you can easily turn on and off in the settings menu on the G5?
Or is it somewhere 'deep' in the configuration?

RyanK

#8 Post by RyanK »

Auto-slew simply means that the HSI course automatically adjusts to match the GPS desired track. Nearly every electronic HSI does that by default. In X-Plane you can set the HSI behavior within PlaneMaker, under "Standard/Systems/General 1/auto adjust CDI to GPS DTK." However, if the plane has custom avionics they might override that setting. If you're using RealityXP, it has its own auto-slew option (and a bunch of others) in its settings menu.

Ralph, I don't think anything needs to change with the SI G5 for this. It's just a matter of tweaking the aircraft settings.

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

I understand. But it is also compatible with FSX, Prepar3D and FS2020.

RyanK

#10 Post by RyanK »

Ah, right. The original question was about X-Plane and the others didn't cross my mind. Not sure if there are similar settings in FS, P3D, etc..