[Resolved] G1000 Knobster Dual Touchscreen Incorrect Touch Targets

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

rcollette

[Resolved] G1000 Knobster Dual Touchscreen Incorrect Touch Targets

#1 Post by rcollette »

I have The G1000 overlay from Russ configured on two touchscreens, one as the PFD and one as the MFD (each set with the correct type of display in the drop down setting). I have a knobster configured.

When I touch buttons on the MFD screen, corresponding knobs or buttons on the PFD are being selected, but most times though the knob that is selected spins on the display and nothing happens in XPlane.

For example, if I click on the range button on the MFD, the range button on the PFD will be selected. Spinning the knobster will spin the button on the PFD display, but the range will not change on the MFD, most of the time... every once in a while the range will update. If I select the declutter button on the MFD, the corresponding button in that position on the PFD gets clicked.

Separately, though not as bad of an issue, I click on the radio <-> button and it often will not switch frequencies, though I do hear a clicking sound. Almost any button I click sounds like a double click, not sure if that is normal.

I'm a programmer (C#, Typescript, Java) and can probably help debug though at this point I don't know LUA and am not familiar with the "IDE" for air manager and can use some direction on next steps.

I know this is not an issue with the touch screen setup because I can open a chrome browser window on each screen and touch events go to the correct browser instance.

Thank you,
Rich Collette
https://photos.app.goo.gl/PNeWSH1nEbdwSUEF8
Last edited by rcollette on Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph

Re: G1000 Knobster Dual Touchscreen Incorrect Touch Targets

#2 Post by Ralph »

Sounds like it isn't setup correct, or the instruments you are using are the wrong ones. If you are using the ones which can be downloaded from the application then this should not happen when they are configured correct. I've tested it myself, and here it works perfectly alright, I also haven't heard any similar complaints. There's probably a few hundred people using this instrument, so we should have known by now :)

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Hi Rich, welcome to the (sometimes) mad house.
What are you using to drive the 2 instrument display (as far as graphics go) ?. - I see 5 monitors in use.
Are you using a USB to HDMI system ?. There have been quite a few issues involving these units and a search here may help.

Also, just a quick tip, don't hang the phones on the Honeycomb yoke as it is pulling on the centre detent.
Nice monitors by the way. Just don't look over the top or you will think you are flying into that palm tree on the wall :D
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

rcollette

#4 Post by rcollette »

I should have noted that this was for Windows 10.

For the tl;dr crowd the resolution was:

Use the "Tablet PC Settings" control panel and reset the touch calibration settings on each touch display.
From a command prompt run:

Code: Select all

multidigimon -touch
Hit Enter until text appears on a touch monitor, touch it. You should see "Press enter to proceed to the next step to complete your configuration", if not then you did not fully reset. Then hit enter to get to the next touch monitor and touch it, the same "Press enter to proceed..." message should show. Continue until done selecting touch monitors. Hit escape when done.

I tried the "setup" button from the "Tablet and PC Settings" control panel and I could not get it to register multiple touch displays correctly. I had to use this command line.

Some sources on the internet say not to calibrate the touch screens for multiple monitors but I was able to do so without issue.

---
I'm not totally sure how it got messed up in the first place, nor am I sure how it is possible for Chrome to work just fine while the Windows configuration was incorrect, perhaps it handles touch events at some lower level. The way I discovered it was Windows is that I dragged my finger on the mfd touchscreen (right) with an empty desktop and noticed it was presenting a selection box on the left/pfd touch screen. Clearly that has nothing to do with Air Manager.

When I originally set the touch screens up, I had only one screen that was connected and calibrated while I was waiting for a display port to HDMI adapter to show up. Then I plugged in and setup the second screen. Windows is "weird" with display devices, re-numbering, etc. when displays are on/off/connected/disconnected. I suspect what happened is that I calibrated screen N, but when I added the next screen, screen N became N+1 and the new screen was N and then I wound up with two screens calibrated to N. A hypothesis obviously and I'm not going to spend the time trying to figure out how to create a messed up configuration again.

These touch screens are INNOCN N1F PRO. They have mini-hdmi and usb-c options for display (usb-c can be display/control or just control), usb-c power jack. I was not able to get the usb-c display option to work on my system, which only has one usb-c connector anyway. These two units are plugged into an HDMI port and Display Adapter port on the MSI motherboard (intel graphics). The other 3 monitors are on the EVGA GTX3080. I never could get 4 monitors working on the EVGA card. I could enable any 3 ports on the card at the same time but not all 4.

The only druther with these touch displays is that the ports are on the right side of the clamshell style base. The port location keeps them from being able to sit directly next to one another and the clamshell base makes them bounce on touch, like a laptop screen would. I'll be building a small frame to stabilize them vertical and to provide a mount point for the knobster in between. For the cost, I can't complain too much.
---
@jph Thank you for providing some feedback. The headphones came off the yoke immediately. I'm going to get a hook mounted under the table for them. Good call!

@Ralph I wasn't complaining about Air Manager, I was looking for help debugging the issue.

Ralph

Re: [Resolved] G1000 Knobster Dual Touchscreen Incorrect Touch Targets

#5 Post by Ralph »

That's not what I was saying. I was asking where you got those bezels from, and if you are sure that you chose PFD and MFD.

rcollette

#6 Post by rcollette »

Frequently after resuming from sleep in Windows 10, one or the other touch monitor will have it's touch events directed at the other touch monitor. I wind up having to run multidigimon -touch again. This is a Windows issue, not air manager.

home4sale2

#7 Post by home4sale2 »

@rcollette - Rich, good setup. I have decided to go with a couple of stands like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BK ... =UTF8&th=1
I'll probably end up mounting the knobster on the edge of the desk somewhere in between. Some dual sided tape function will be required as I don't want to drill any holes in my desk nor I have a honeycomb. I also have a Wheel stand plus which has my yoke, rudder mounted and it slides under my desk should I need to fold it and put it away.

Like you, same issue, the ports are on the right of my screens.

I ended up with some headaches and with different monitors because I couldn't get the two monitors to work (touch) at the same time till I realized it was Windows touch input that needed to be configured. Thanks for the cmd line by the way. The latest service pack has introduced an auto recognize feature for tablets so if you have a desktop, the control panel command to configure touch and pen input seems to have disappeared and it's hard to find it now. I had everything working and downloaded the Windows update and bam, it was gone again.

Like you, I have one USB-C out on my graphics card so I am going usb-c to usb-c to one of the monitors, works great. Make sure you have the right cable, the charging cable will not work. The second one is going from HDMI to mini HDMI and for touch, I also have a USB-C (on the monitor side) to USB (on the PC side). This works well.