DIY Knobster on Air Player connection

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

old pilot guy

DIY Knobster on Air Player connection

#1 Post by old pilot guy »

I have used AM for many years. Windows 10. Currently running AM 4.0.2
all high end pc's, complex simulator.
1 copy of AM on main pc (AM- 1). 2 copies of air player on
two networked pc's. Running DIY knobster on AP-2 machine.
Running genuine knobster on AP #1 pc. Removed genuine knobster
from AP-1. Built second DIY knobster using same boards as previous.
Genuine Arduino nano's ( not clones)
-Flashed nano in AM as knobster, selected channel. AM recognizes it
and it works fine. Removed the nano from AM physically from
pc and "remove device in AM.
-Connected DIY nano to AP-1. Com port recognized. Device working properly
in device manager. Device migrated in windows. Opened AM and opened
AP. AM recognizes AP. Highlighted AP-1. Clicked +Device -DIY Knobster.
Correct com port appears in AM as a choice. AP will not recognize the
DIY knobster. Removed and reconnected device, restarted pc's and AM and AP.
No luck
-Reset nano to factory settings. As a test Flashed the nano in AM as "nano" not DIY knobster. Connected it to AP-1
AM recognized it as Nano under the AP tab. So I know the hardware and drivers are all working.
Reset and reflashed a few times. No luck
Any suggestions why the DIY knobster is recognized in AM but not in AP?

Witzman

Re: DIY Knobster on Air Player connection

#2 Post by Witzman »

Can you install arduino ide on the 2nd pc and test if you can upload normal sketches?
I had problems in the past with arduinos, which looked like an original but required the ch340 driver to work.

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

I'm a bit uncertain from your story if Air Player is on a different computer than Air Manager.

old pilot guy

#4 Post by old pilot guy »

Yes. Air Player is on a different network pc also running a second copy of Xplane as a slave. Have had no issues in the past.
As far as Ch340 drivers go they are already installed. I even moved this DIY Knobster to a second totally independent simulator also running another license of Air manager with no problems I have two copies of Air manager one on each separate simulator not related to the one in question.

Strange why the Nano would work flashed as a nano. I even connected a small prototype board with rotary encoders on the Nano and they functioned fine across the network this plugged into air player on second PC. Then reset the Nano and flashed it as a knobster and connected the DIY knobster to the pc running Air player could not recognize the Nano as a knobster.
Last edited by old pilot guy on Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

Can you check if you see it as a COM device? You're sure you have the correct COM port selected? You are aware that it does not show up automatically?

old pilot guy

#6 Post by old pilot guy »

Yes it is listed in device manager. It is the only com port in use on the pc running Air player. This same number com port is the only choice when adding it to the Air player tab within Air manager.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

old pilot guy wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:12 pm Yes it is listed in device manager. It is the only com port in use on the pc running Air player. This same number com port is the only choice when adding it to the Air player tab within Air manager.
Hi Oldpilotguy. ;)
If I understand correctly... if the diy knobster works on AM on the main PC, but not on AP then it is HIGHLY unlikely for the issue to be hardware related. Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

old pilot guy

#8 Post by old pilot guy »

I believe you are correct. It is very strange why this Nano works when flashed as a nano and does not work when flashed as a knobster. As per my previous post. My only conclusion is there is something in the flashing software for the knobster that version 4.0.2 does not like. If I add the original knobster back on then Air Player connects to it. As I also stated previously I have 2 licensed copies of air manager on separate simulators. I tried flashing this Nano as a knobster on each separate copy of air manager no luck. I appreciate your reply

Corjan

#9 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Might be that I broke something in the latest BETA. I have been changing the Arduino project files, which is always a bit risky...

Will have a look at it this week, to see if I can reproduce the issue,

Corjan

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

But he isn't using the beta as far as I know.