USB 3 / 3.1 / C to Dual HDMI outputs - anyone used one ?

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

USB 3 / 3.1 / C to Dual HDMI outputs - anyone used one ?

#1 Post by jph »

Hi,
Has anyone any experience with the various USB 3 / 3.1 / C to HDMI adapters on windows 10 ?
Both single and dual HDMI output versions.

Would be interested in your experiences and what type you are using.

Thanks,
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

Re: USB 3 / 3.1 / C to Dual HDMI outputs - anyone used one ?

#2 Post by Crunchmeister »

I've been using one of these for several months now to drive the pair of touch screens my main AM panels run on. I've not experienced any issues as of yet. Solid, reliable, and just works as it's supposed to.

image.png
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Many thanks,
That looks a nice unit - DP and HDMI. Seems a fair price too. I have ordered a relatively cheap one to test, but will pick up one of those as well as I want a few more for the small display screens - 5" etc. Many thanks for the info.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#4 Post by Crunchmeister »

You can get them with only HDMI ports for less money, but I figured I'd spend the bit extra for the extra DP ports. I'll likely never need them, but you never know what the future holds. I tend to lean towards the "it's better to have what you don't need than to need what you don't have" philosophy.

Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Yeah, my GPUs al have DP only - well, the 2080ti does, so I use active converters to HDMI now. The original monitors that I was going to get were all fitted with DP as well. After testing 3 different types of monitor the ones I preferred were HDMI only but I had already bought DP cables. I believe on of my monitors - an extra wide 25" has DP as it has Freesync, but even then.. I have a box full of odd ball cables so might as well have the extra connectors for a 'just in case' moment. It wil be interesting to see how many monitors you can run off one box with just AM running and a triple output GTX970 and those units. 2 units should allow 8 :shock:
Have you noticed if they will use their own thread or not ? that would be a good test.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#6 Post by Crunchmeister »

I have 3 monitors connected to my GPU. The main is a 34" 3440x1440 UWQHD, and that's my main sim display. On the sides I have a 27" 4K and an old 24" 1920x1200. They don't get used for the sim or AM though. They're the ones I run Navigraph, Little Navmap, and other external tools on on.

My sim rig is mounted on a Next Level Racing flight stand that I slide into a corner when not in use. My 2 15.6 monitors I run my main AM panels on, as well as my 2 tablets that I use with Spacedesk, are mounted to that. I have my hubs connected to the back of that setup, and the HDMI to USB adapter is connected to one of those. It makes for a nice quick setup where I need to only connect 2 USB cables and 2 power bricks to run my sim.

I don't know if it uses a discreet thread or not to run. I do know I see no difference in performance running that adapter though. With all other things equal, I see exactly the same numbers in sim with or without.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

Ah, interesting, thanks for the info.
I see why the impact of the 'spacedesk' etc makes little difference. I thought you were running the sim on triple monitors. On triples you can basically divide your single monitor frame rate / 3. On a single I can get 100-160 fps in most areas. (X-Plane). The resolution of the primary monitor - if single - doesn't make much difference between 1080p and 1440p it is only when you use more than 1 in the sim that it takes a toll. Even then, due to CPU limitations it often doesn't really matter if 1080p x 3 or 1440 x3 as unless you turn up the horrifically implemented and coded 'weather' or 'water effects' etc it doesn't make any difference with a top end GPU - I believe you are on a 2080 ?

Running a single monitor in XP, I would concur that the addition of the others would make little noticeable difference as they are so lightly loads applications.
Spacedesk, for example, on triple monitor XP rig has a lot of impact - in fact, I would never use it on the same PC. (on triples!)
running LNM on the same PC as the triples - and even simple AM stuff I would be ok with, but as I have a rake of PC's I can use another.
Out of interest, what processor are you running ? - it sounds like it is a good one. ?
I am running a 2080ti here with a 9900K at 5Ghz all logical cores - or 5.2 on the 8 real cores. To be honest, the difference between 5 and 5.2 is marginal on triples. a few FPS that's all - as would be expected. Even non OC there is little difference due to the massively processor bound XP (or any flight sim or flight game) The GPU can make a shed load of difference though as the ability to run massive AA etc is huge. I can max out the 2080ti if I want to.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Crunchmeister

#8 Post by Crunchmeister »

I'm running a Ryzen 2700X at default clocks with an RTX2080. Your rig clocks in just a touch faster than mine all around.

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Ok, the 2700 is about the same as my older 4790K in single core programs. - as in - most flight sims... :( . it is a good solid processor. It lacks overall performance compared to the latest - as does the 4790k - but is still great. I have one in a spare machine with a 2070 super in. In raw processing power, even at the same clock-speeds, there is a hell of a difference compared to the later processors, but again, damn good processors - which is why I keep the 4790K and have no reason to change it. If I was using a single screen - even with all the additional small programs - I would be perfectly happy with the devils canyon. Not on triple monitors in XP though - yikes. It just shows that there is no need to change 'older' processors for later ones if the job you ask it to do is working great. I am always on the lookout for a cheap spare 4790k on ebay - and also am considering buying another 9900k as they are fairly cheap. The later 10900k, 11900k, and by the looks, the 12900K offer no gains at all in XP - or almost any 'game' (as I can easily clock the 9900k to 5.2 locked on all cores - not just one)- only in cinebench demos etc. IF and I mean IF X-P ever does go multi core, then all the 'old' processors will be absolutely amazing - as will the sim.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Ah ! - Just scored a 9900KF for 299 Euro - brand new with warranty. ! excellent - November sales. I already have a nice GM mobo so just need some DDR4 ram.
Anyone want a totally mint, boxed, RTX2070 Super - Gigabyte 8GB Windforce OC ? - used less than 1 hour. As said, fully boxed. ? - not used as I have the RTX 2080ti
Joe. CISSP, MSc.