EGT, TAS and Clock don't replicate in Air Manager 4.0 on Cessna 172 Panel

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: EGT, TAS and Clock don't replicate in Air Manager 4.0 on Cessna 172 Panel

#41 Post by Ralph »

Okay then why not flash it? Changing acceleration is a matter of changing one digit in the script. And I can also add user properties on request.

Sling

#42 Post by Sling »

aenigma wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am Mobiflight is superior to AM for mapping. I tried it in AM and the HDG and OBS controls are way too fast with no way to change it
You say this like its fact which it is not. its just your opinion. AM can do all the same hardware mappings as MF and more actually. If you don't want to learn how, that is your prerogative.
aenigma wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am I don't understand why anyone would want to use AM over Mobiflight for controls when Mobiflight is free and AM can't even come close to touching it?
Once again a response that is devoid of any facts. Yes they both have pro's and con's but to say AM can't come close to touching it when in some area's it surpasses MF makes this statement just wrong. The free point is mute because I was talking about someone who already has AM for their instruments. My main point in this was around using 2 pieces of software when only one is needed. I will say that already knowing a program is a possible exception as to why a few do this and that may be the reason in your case too but its certainly not because AM is lacking.
aenigma wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:20 am I don't have to flash my Arduino with AM firmware to use the altimeter adjustment, HDG or VOR OBS, so why do I have to do that for the ASI card, EGT reference and other things? That doesn't make any sense.
It makes sense for some instruments to be like that. For instance not all sim things can be set and read and some simulators are better than others at this. Many things have changed along the way too so how an instrument was originally made may not reflect what we have now. I take it these are the community instruments so generally this means made by an AM user for their needs at that time. The C172 instruments were made many years back so are likely not the most up to date.

Anyhow with all that said I took a look at my M803 clock and the C172 airspeed indicator and these can indeed be made to control and respond to the sim inputs so if you wanted that from these community instruments you would need to update them accordingly to add that functionality. If you want the reward its probably time to learn AM.

aenigma

#43 Post by aenigma »

Nope, I am using the paid 172 panel. Paying extra doesn't give much extra it seems. So I can map everything in AM? Even all the buttons and switches on my honeycomb alpha and bravo, GF TPM, my home made switch/encoder panels and FSW panel encoders? Even the stuff you can't even map in MSFS for payware aircraft? I didn't see an option to choose anything but a flashed Arduino or similar. MF will work with anything you use. There is a lot of power behind FSUIPC and MF, that's fact not opinion.

You can get even more advanced with LUA scripts and what not, but the majority of it is super easy to setup, especially now that it autodetects button presses. You don't have to know exactly which pins control which encoder, for example, just click detect and turn it then select from a list what you want it to do, just the way it should be. I don't miss having to learn code to get switches working like I did back in the old days and I certainly don't want to go back to that.

You shouldn't have to be stuck using AM for every encoder just to get something to work that should already work from the start. AM has been stagnant for years, so it seems to just be a lack of updates and improvements. Even the gauges still look like they are from the early 00's. When software to display some low quality instruments costs more than the sim itself it's not crazy to expect more of it.

Sling

#44 Post by Sling »

I never said MF wasn’t capable. What I said was your unfounded statements about AM are simply not true and based on a clear lack of understanding. You prefer MF great and I like it too but that doesn’t make AM useless. AM does everything and MF only does the hardware so it’s not a like for like comparison anyhow.

Complaining about it is unlikely to get you to a solution. If you don’t like AM and are not satisfied with it simply don’t use it.

Why those particular premium instruments don’t fully integrate with the sim is a question for Sim Innovations.

Ralph

#45 Post by Ralph »

Claiming that it is stagnant, it looks like you haven't paid any attention to the development.
I guess I just have to refund your purchase (and withdraw the license) then?

Ralph

#46 Post by Ralph »

By the way @aenigma, if you let me know which variable to use for the clock state, then I will be happy to implement this.

aenigma

#47 Post by aenigma »

Ralph wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 am By the way @aenigma, if you let me know which variable to use for the clock state, then I will be happy to implement this.
Really? That would be great! The only thing I have found so far is what Mobiflight uses which for OAT/Volts is oclock_oat and (>H:oclock_oat) for the preset code. Select and control don't seem to work yet. The ASI TAS Card preset codes are (A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) -- 0 max (>A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) and (A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) ++ 30 min (>A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) but I'm not sure if these are exactly what you need?

If there is a way to use a standard HID controller button press in AM to control the clock and TAS card in AM rather than having to use an Arduino that would make things so much easier. The panel I bought (Flight Sim Wings Analog Plus) uses it's own HID controller that just registers as regular joystick button presses in windows. That's another can of worms I am struggling with as none of the encoders work correctly. Nothing is ever smooth sailing when it comes to flight sims! :lol:

SimPassion

#48 Post by SimPassion »

aenigma wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:20 pm
Ralph wrote: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:10 am By the way @aenigma, if you let me know which variable to use for the clock state, then I will be happy to implement this.
Really? That would be great! The only thing I have found so far is what Mobiflight uses which for OAT/Volts is oclock_oat and (>H:oclock_oat) for the preset code. Select and control don't seem to work yet. The ASI TAS Card preset codes are (A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) -- 0 max (>A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) and (A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) ++ 30 min (>A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE, degrees) but I'm not sure if these are exactly what you need?

If there is a way to use a standard HID controller button press in AM to control the clock and TAS card in AM rather than having to use an Arduino that would make things so much easier. The panel I bought (Flight Sim Wings Analog Plus) uses it's own HID controller that just registers as regular joystick button presses in windows. That's another can of worms I am struggling with as none of the encoders work correctly. Nothing is ever smooth sailing when it comes to flight sims! :lol:
You can check your controller with this script :

Code: Select all

--====================================================================================
--								CHECK PURPOSE
--====================================================================================

function callback(type, index, value)
    print("type = " .. type .. ", index = " .. index .. ", value = " .. tostring(value))
end

list = game_controller_list()

for k, v in pairs(list) do
    game_controller_add(v, callback)
end

function callback_event(type, index, value)
    print("type = " .. type .. ", index = " .. index .. ", value = " .. tostring(value))
end

list = game_controller_list()

for k, v in pairs(list) do
    game_controller_add(v, callback_event)
end

Ralph

#49 Post by Ralph »

(>H:oclock_oat) is an event, that's not the state of the clock.

SimPassion

#50 Post by SimPassion »

Here's for the TAS handling in the Cesna 172 - Airspeed
Sorry, I can't do better than this, as the in-sim card bitmap goes from 0 to 30 and the AM instrument card bitmap goes from 0 to 20 only
Well ... it works as it is ... some can do better, it would require to redraw the AM card bitmap from 0 to 30

Code: Select all

---------------------------------------------
--           Airspeed Indicator            --
-- Modification of Jason Tatum's original  --
-- Brian McMullan 20180324                 -- 
-- Property for background off/on          --
-- Property for dimming overlay            --

-- enjxp 20.03.2023	Added TAS handling in both ways

--   Properties                            --
prop_BG = user_prop_add_boolean("Background Display",true,"Display background")
prop_DO = user_prop_add_boolean("Dimming Overlay",false,"Use Dimming overlay")

--   Variables                             --
local card = 0
local card_trans = 0

--   Load and display images in Z-order    --
--   Loaded images selectable with prop    --
as_card = img_add_fullscreen("aircard.png")
if user_prop_get(prop_BG) == false then
    img_add_fullscreen("airspeed.png")
    img_add_fullscreen("Bezel.png")    
else
    img_add_fullscreen("airspeedwBG.png")
end    
as_needle =  img_add("needle.png",0,0,512,512)
img_add("airknobshadow.png",31,400,85,85)
if user_prop_get(prop_DO) == true then
    img_add_fullscreen("dimoverlay.png")
end
--img_add_fullscreen("scratches.png")
--   Functions                             --
function new_speed(speed)
    speed = var_cap(speed, 0, 220)
    if speed >= 160 then
        rotate(as_needle,266 + ((speed-160)*1.3))
    elseif speed >= 120 then
        rotate(as_needle,205 + ((speed-120)*1.525))
    elseif speed >= 100 then
        rotate(as_needle,162 + ((speed-100)*2.15))
    elseif speed >= 70 then
        rotate(as_needle,92 + ((speed-70)*2.29))
    elseif speed >= 40 then
        rotate(as_needle,31 + ((speed-40)*2.033))
    else
        rotate(as_needle, (speed*0.775))
    end
end

function new_speed_fsx(speed_FSX, as_tcal, speed_A2A)
    speed = fif(speed_A2A > 0, speed_A2A, speed_FSX)
    new_speed(speed)
	card = as_tcal
	card_trans = var_cap(as_tcal*3.2-4, -5.5, 62)
    rotate(as_card, -card_trans)
end

-- This function isn't setup yet.  FSX doesn't appear
-- to expose this value.  X-Plane might expose it as 
-- sim/aircraft/view/acf_asi_kts    int    y    enum    air speed indicator knots calibration
-- but I have not tested it.  For now, we just allow manual manipulation on the screen by 
-- clicking on the knob.
function new_cali(degrees)
    rotate(as_card, degrees)
end

function new_knob(value)
	value = fif(value==1,-1,1)
    card = card + value * 0.5
	card = var_cap(card, -0.5, 30.5)
	fs2020_variable_write("A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE", "degrees",card)
end

--   Controls Add                          --
dial_knob = dial_add("airknob.png", 31, 395, 85, 85, new_knob)
-- dial_click_rotate(dial_knob,6)
hw_dial_add("KIAS/TAS card dial", 3, new_knob)
--   Simulator Subscriptions               --
xpl_dataref_subscribe("sim/cockpit2/gauges/indicators/airspeed_kts_pilot", "FLOAT", new_speed)

fsx_variable_subscribe("AIRSPEED INDICATED", "knots", 
                       "L:AirspeedIndicatedNeedle", "number", new_speed_fsx)

fs2020_variable_subscribe("AIRSPEED INDICATED", "knots",
							"A:AIRSPEED TRUE CALIBRATE", "degrees",
                          "L:AirspeedIndicatedNeedle", "number", new_speed_fsx)

-- END       Airspeed Indicator            --
image.png