Submissions update

Latest Information on Sim Innovation's flagship product Air Manager

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Corjan

Re: Submissions update

#31 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

@Sling
I'll be checking your work to see if no files got through ;)

It is not the end of the world if it happens.

But on the iPad for example, the app is about 600 Mb in size because of all the instruments.
If we allow instruments to have additional files, it will probably grow even bigger.

Thinking of, it might be good for us to scan for the biggest files in all instruments, and try to reduce them. Using MP3 instead of WAV might have quite a big effect.

Corjan

Corjan

#32 Post by Corjan »

There might still be something to say on creating some kind of community knowledge base.
Or maybe a community wiki where anyone can join.

I'll ask Ralph again if he feels like setting that up again,

Keith Baxter

#33 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:34 am There might still be something to say on creating some kind of community knowledge base.
Or maybe a community wiki where anyone can join.

I'll ask Ralph again if he feels like setting that up again,
Hi,

Your point fully understood and I will not put Tony to the test. :D

Yes It might be beneficial to have some sort of Dbase where this type of instrument/build is available. I started something on the discord but you really need a storage hub of some sort. Perhaps a google drive. Something like zibo does.

Lets see what @Ralph suggests.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Keith Baxter

#34 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:33 am Using MP3 instead of WAV might have quite a big effect.

Corjan
Hi

Talking about MP3. Some years ago we talked about MP4 and you mentioning MP3 pricked my ears up.
I built a cam instrument for the Zibo pedestal. It just uses .png files at the moment. But it would be cool if I could use MP4 clips for when doors close and steps are retracted.

I think I know this answer as well. :lol:
https://ad-aero.com/wp-content/uploads/ ... asheet.pdf

I had thought of uploading a few hundred .png files then using the animation function. But that instrument would send a big red flag if submitted to the store. :lol: :lol:

Yes if a feature does not exists. Make a plan. It is your fault. You taught me all these tricks. ;)

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#35 Post by Ralph »

I suppose that we can use our Github account for this.

Corjan

#36 Post by Corjan »

Git would be to 'technical' for stuff like this I would think.
Some online environment like a wiki would probably work better.

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#37 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:25 pm I suppose that we can use our Github account for this.
Ralph,

Will we still submit via the normal Chanel? I suppose Tony will pick them up and can then add them to the Github or pass them on to you for some other wiki or database.
Code and build standards need to be of a high quality. And we would need a structured format.

Let me do one and submit via the normal channel, I will structure a format and then you's can add change whatever. But it would be a starting point.

Keith

Ralph

#38 Post by Ralph »

Corjan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:33 pm Some online environment like a wiki would probably work better.
As if a wiki isn't technical :)

But maybe we should first think how this 'environment' should look like. Should anyone be able to upload? Or should it go through a submit process? Etc...

Keith Baxter

#39 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

My idea was to submit instruments that look something like this.

this would be the instrument folder.
ice_screenshot_20220322-171301.png
This would be what the Build Files folder would look like.

ice_screenshot_20220322-171146.png
And this is what the readme text file would look like.

Code: Select all

Xplane Boeing 737-800X-Zibo Pedestal-ADF1 Radio.

This instrument is one of the pedestal instruments used in the Zibo 737.
The IRL model is manufactured by Gables Engineering.
Part Number is: G7402-04 Single ADF Control Panel
https://www.gableseng.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/G7402-04.pdf

Contents
1) The hardware code for AM 4.1->
2) 3 x .stll files that you can 3D print.
3) Build notes.
4) Bill of material with parts source
5) Images for illustration.
6) Gerber file PCB printing.
7) svg file for engraving
8) Schematic for wiring.
9) Change log.
readme.txt
(598 Bytes) Downloaded 257 times
It is a quickly knocked up format and not populated of course. But I think you get the gist.

Keith

Corjan

#40 Post by Corjan »

Ralph wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 pm
Corjan wrote: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:33 pm Some online environment like a wiki would probably work better.
As if a wiki isn't technical :)

But maybe we should first think how this 'environment' should look like. Should anyone be able to upload? Or should it go through a submit process? Etc...
Well, no so much.

It doesn't require any desktop software, has limited versioning tools, no branches, commits etc etc that git has.
And on top, it has a rendering engine, so you immediately see what you are doing. Git is just a bunch of files.

Corjan