Keith 737 mip

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Keith 737 mip

#31 Post by jph »

Keith, re the motorised quadrant assembly, have you seen the absolutely amazing job Karl has done ? - he is offering the complete plans with all STL files and cad diagrams for sale for a crazy low price. The unit is absolutely bloody awesome.
https://www.737diysim.com/product-page/ ... mtu-v5-cad

Some of the development is here. He prints it all on a Creality CR-10 V3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lup0Epf ... l=HeliMech

He also has the complete control set with yokes and forcebeedback in process, 95% 3d printed. ! see on his site.

The throttle quadrant simply blew me away. the guy is a bloody god. (Mind you he IS an aero engineer!)
throttle.png
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#32 Post by jph »

Ralph wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 12:34 pm Out of curiosity. What are the specifications of the real screens? Size and pixels.
Off the top of my head they are 180 x 180mm and pretty low res. Also TN tech so pretty shit viewing angles.

edit - I stand corrected - they are actually fairly high res at 1152x1152 giving around 160 ppi.

they are still TN as far as I can see in the real thing as the viewing angles in the real cockpit are not brilliant if you look from across from one side of the cockpit to the other.
Last edited by jph on Tue May 24, 2022 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#33 Post by Ralph »

I found it too, on Reddit. I was wondering if I can find that exact (or almost) screen with Panellook. But their website doesn't search very well on mobile. I'll give it a try when I'm back home.

Keith Baxter

#34 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi.
Will explore all Joe.

Ralph I am not sure. The CockpitSimParts DU frame, right in the pic, is 178x173. The frame I got from another source( don't rem where) is 188x170
So I looks like it is a 7"x 7" square screen. 178mm x 178mm
mip8.jpg

What is really needed is for a bunch of peeps to club in and buy a batch of a few hundred from china.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

#35 Post by Ralph »

We have square 3.6 inch screens for the standby attitude indicator. It's not necessarily that you need to buy hundreds. But the prize per screen and controller is quite high, plus you probably have to pay a few thousand for the development of the HDMI/DVI board.

Not something for a home project indeed :)

Keith Baxter

#36 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

Yes the Glare Shield above is Karl's design. Just used PVC instead of MDF. Going to do that quadrant and the dual controls as well the peddles. No point in recreating the wheel.
You can see the quadrant I printed on the first page of this thread. That will find the 3D waist black hole. :lol: if any of the parts are not usable. I think that was one of Karl's early designs.

I started off with Marcus pilot plans but changed a bit. I might rebuild the basic MIP stand to accommodate other screens for the DU's. The 18mm chip board it is built from + the 5mm DU frame just makes the display too deep in the MIP :?

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#37 Post by jph »

Excellent Keith. Do you have a link to that material that you are using ? - it is not one I am familiar with. What other things is it used for - or - where is the best place to look ? - is it used in building materials etc ?

I had seen Karl's earlier quadrant - well, the one where he modded the saitek and it was pretty flimsy and not nice. I had seen his V3 and that was damn good, the V5 is mind blowing !. I believe he is working on the speed of the trim wheel rotation which is still a bit slow but that wont alter the design too much. From what I can see he needs to increase the voltage to the steppers on the trim. Obviously you dont have to use the same stepper - just the same size. He has just moved back to the UK and get's his internet on tomorrow !!. at the moment he is using a phone lol. The forum on Karl's site should be more active when he is back online. I am going to chat to him about HV High Speed steppers for the trim wheels. Have you seen the thickness of the print on the main housings though ! jeeez ! about 8mm. Definitely a stack of filament needed for that. I think one side panel take 4 DAYS to print .. bloody hell. My 'Duplicator 4X' is going to be retired to small parts only and a new CR-10 V3 ordered. I 'HAVE' to have that throttle assembly, it is simply awesome. :shock: A thing of beauty. His control yoke assembly and rudder pedals are also amazing as you said.
The design for the starter switch auto return is also really neat.

Regarding panel DU measurements here is the data I have. - I presume you have the measurement stuff ? - I have added it anyway just in case - see rar file.
Joe
CPanel.jpg
boeing-737-measurements.rar
(1.89 MiB) Downloaded 161 times
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#38 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

Just checked. The quadrant I printed was ...

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3074856

So it looks like more 3D print fails to the black hole.

I have all those pdf's Joe. and where this started. looked easy peasy. ;)
I printed the wings on a very modified Wanhao D9 500x500 with a 0.4mm nozel. 10% infill at 50mms . Yes about a 1.5 week print using 3.5 kg PLA

In hind sight I would suggest adding mounting bolt provision to the bottom layer prints so that you have studs to secure the glare shield mip frame. Better than using glue and fasteners should one move house and want to disassemble.

Keith

jph

#39 Post by jph »

Ah, I wondered what your printer was. It looks a beast!. :D
I like the wanhau 4X, its a nice machine but totally incapable as it is and the price of the creality is so good I will just buy one especially as it is the exact unit that Karl uses now and I am really impressed with his results.
Good points on the added mountings, I think it is always good to have more mountings - and - strong ones.
I have spent a long time looking at the various MIP units ad the way they are designed. Ones like the opencockpits for example. A great user and assembly manual provided lots of ideas. I think their panels break down into a largest unit size of nothing wider than 70cm and nothing 'taller' than 45cm or deeper than 30cm. All bolted together on a sturdy steel frame.

What is the name of that material you are using Keith ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#40 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

PLA for 3D prints
PVC board for MIP conctruction and upper plates on radio and overhead panels. It is great for engraving and back-lighting.
Acrylic for instrument backing plates. I lot more robust for mounting switches and encoders etc.

"PVC foams are available in a variety of densities from 3pcf to 25 pcf (45kg/m3 to 400kg/m3). Unlike polyurethane foam, PVC foam is not a two-component pour in place type of foam. The manufacturing process is much more involved. The raw ingredients are mixed together under controlled conditions and dispensed into a mold. The filled mold is then sealed, placed in a large press and heated while remaining clamped shut. After this process is completed, a slab of solid material emerges from the mold. The material is then expanded in a hot water bath to final density and cured. The cured blocks are then cut into sheets of a varying thickness, depending on customer requirements. The process and formulation combine to give the foams their closed-cell nature and excellent physical properties."

I used 60% foam for the glare shield. 40% might have also done the trick.

Keith
Last edited by Keith Baxter on Tue May 24, 2022 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.