Garmin G5 with Reality XP GNS 430W

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Ralph

Re: Garmin G5 with Reality XP GNS 430W

#11 Post by Ralph »

I remember having corrected this a long time ago. So I suspect either that you're maybe using version 3.x of Air Manager? Or RealityXP is doing something wrong (check their settings menu).

uptimist

#12 Post by uptimist »

I have the latest version of Air Manager.

I have not changed any settings in a RealityXP, but I don’t know what setting would affect this anyway. Everything is working approximately correctly, but the gps bearing pointer is incorrect by the amount of the wind drift. No wind = no error.

I described in my post above why I think that is happening, which fits the symptoms, are you able to check that?

The only other possibility I could think of is if RealityXP had changed their code to drive the gps relative bearing be relative to heading if it used to be relative to track, but I think that’s unlikely as it would be normal to make make all relative measures relative to heading. I could see if there is native X-Plane instrument which shows this bearing on an HSI to see if it is behaving correctly.

Ralph

#13 Post by Ralph »

I recommend trying it with the default X-Plane GPS. To see if this gives the same result.

uptimist

#14 Post by uptimist »

Hi Ralph, sorry it's taken me a while to get back to this, Sim room too cold to hang around in!

I've checked the behaviour on a default X-Plane aircraft in X-Plane 12 with no RealityXP installed. I used Skyhawk with G1000. It's the same behaviour as I described before, so not related to RealityXP.

Flying towards a VOR with GPS set direct to the same VOR, and wind from the left, the heading is to the left of track as you'd expect, the track and VOR both align exactly but the GPS pointer is showing right of track by the amount of the wind drift. It's as I described in my earlier post - you need to subtract the gps_relative_bearing_deg from the heading, not the track.

Thanks for your help

Ralph

#15 Post by Ralph »

What it does right now:

Code: Select all

setting_compass.bearing_pointer.bearing_gps1 = ((ground_track + dir_gps1) + 360) % 360
Where ground_track is "sim/cockpit2/gauges/indicators/ground_track_mag_pilot", "FLOAT",
and dir_gps1 is "sim/cockpit/radios/gps_dir_degt", "FLOAT"

So @uptimist what you are suggesting is that it should be as below?

Code: Select all

setting_compass.bearing_pointer.bearing_gps1 = ((heading_mag - gps_relative_bearing_deg) + 360) % 360
With heading_mag being "sim/cockpit2/gauges/indicators/heading_AHARS_deg_mag_pilot", "FLOAT",
and gps_relative_bearing_deg "sim/cockpit2/radios/indicators/gps_relative_bearing_deg", "FLOAT".

GeorgiaPilot1021

#16 Post by GeorgiaPilot1021 »

Hey there - I have a similar question. I'm flying in XP11 in the vFlyteAir G5 Arrow with the RealityXP GTN 650, and I recently noticed that the magenta needle (not the bearing pointer, the GPS needle itself) points to the OBS heading UNLESS using the autopilot in NAV mode. If I use the autopilot in NAV mode, the needle points to the next GPS waypoint properly and displays any crosstrack as necessary (although there usually isn't any with the autopilot). However, if I am using heading mode or just no autopilot/FD at all, it leverages the OBS as the Desired Track, rather than pulling the Desired Track from the GPS.

The bearing pointer works, but the magenta line pointing in the wrong direction can be a little distracting. I'm an instrument student working on handflying in the clouds, so I try not to use the autopilot most of the time.

Any reasoning/workaround for this? Thanks!

GeorgiaPilot1021

#17 Post by GeorgiaPilot1021 »

Apologies for jumping the gun here...after doing more research, I found other posts discussing the RealityXP GTN and auto-slewing. Feel free to ignore!

Ralph

#18 Post by Ralph »

@uptimist I've made the changes, so please let me know if this helps.

uptimist

#19 Post by uptimist »

Ralph wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:11 pm @uptimist I've made the changes, so please let me know if this helps.

Sorry Ralph, I was away for a bit. Thanks for looking at this, let me have another go and I will come back to you.

uptimist

#20 Post by uptimist »

Hi Ralph, it's almost there, correct variables, but the sign is the wrong way around (my mistake). So you need to change current code:

setting_compass.bearing_pointer.bearing_gps1 = ((heading_mag - gps_relative_bearing_deg) + 360) % 360

to:

setting_compass.bearing_pointer.bearing_gps1 = ((heading_mag + gps_relative_bearing_deg) + 360) % 360

Many thanks

Henry.