Flight Illusion radios

Everything about Flight Illusion hardware in combination with Air Manager or Gstep.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

stevelep

Flight Illusion radios

#1 Post by stevelep »

Hello,

I have Flight Illusion Collin's type radio COM, NAV, ADF and transponder connected to the FI Interface.

In Airmanager, the device are well listed under the interface board but unfortunately there's no intrument associated to these radio gauges in the menu.

Are the Collin's FI radio gauge supported by Airmanager ?

If yes, is there specific instruements to download ?

if not, will it be supported in the future ?

Tank's for reply and congratulation for your great software.

Steve L.

Ralph

Re: Flight Illusion radios

#2 Post by Ralph »

They are, but they might not yet be online. Which version of Air Manager are you using and which flight sim are you using?

stevelep

#3 Post by stevelep »

AM 3.7.10
X-Plane 11.50

Should I download instruments in the library and place it in a panel or it's not necessary ?

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

No you can configure them in de devices tab. I think that these might not be online yet. They're all waiting to be approved by Flight Illusion, but that can take a long time so I'll just throw them on the server :)
I'll have to have a good look at the ADF, we could not make that work with FSX / Prepar3D. You have to write a BCD to the sim, but writing the same number gave different outcomes at different frequencies. I'm glad you're using X-Plane :lol:

I'll have a quick look and get back to you here.

Ralph

#5 Post by Ralph »

COM, NAV and XPDR are online now. I did not upload the ADF. I think I'll upload it without FSX / Prepar3D support for now, and see if we can get that to work later on. So hopefully by tomorrow you'll have the ADF as well.
Note that they have user properties that let you select the channel, in case you have more than one for COM or NAV.

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

What’s the issue with ADF and FSX/P3D Ralph? I’m pretty sure I’ve made an ADF that works with FSX but I’d have to check to be certain.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

This issue is that the frequency is the ADF_SET event, where you have to write the frequency in a BCD format. This works fine for Com and Nav radios, but the ADF behaves very weird.
We are 100% sure that the correct BCD value is send to FSX / Prepar3D, but still the outcome is very weird. Sometimes it's correct, and sometimes you get all sorts of strange frequencies, way beyond what it supposed to be. I guess that there's a bug in FSX / Prepar3D, and you have to know the work-around for it.

Sling

#8 Post by Sling »

Ralph,

I tend to use the events for a rotary knob but i've had a play with direct frequency entry in FSX for you and the code below works well. It seems you need to use ADF_COMPLETE_SET as that completely writes over what is already there. The conversion to BCD is a tad confusing as its not true BCD but rather one big decimal to binary conversion. I've no idea why they thought doing it this way was a good idea. Its overly complex if you ask me. The ADF_SET one i think is some kind of delta control or something else. I didn't really play with that one much.

I hope this helps. It's reliable for me.

Tony

Code: Select all

function adf_freq_write(freq)

freq = var_cap(freq, 100, 1799.9)
    local bcd_freq = 0
    for i = 1, 5 do
         bcd_freq = bcd_freq + math.floor(math.floor((freq / 10^(i-2) % 10)) * 2^((i + 2) * 4))
    end
    fsx_event("ADF_COMPLETE_SET", bcd_freq)

end

adf_freq_write(1234.5)
--adf_freq_write(724)
--adf_freq_write(1654)

Last edited by Sling on Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

Aah that makes sense. That explains why we saw different values each time. It is indeed a mystery why they thought this was the best way to do it. Thank you very much for finding this!

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Thanks to Tony now both the Bendix King and Collins are online. I haven't properly tested the Collins with X-Plane because I don't have one here, so if there're any issues then please let me know.