XP 11.5beta9, 56 fps with four screens and Vulkan

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bmcmullan

XP 11.5beta9, 56 fps with four screens and Vulkan

#1 Post by bmcmullan »

X-Plane 11 5 beta 9

getting 56 FPS with Vulkan with four screens and pretty aggressive "sliders", with XP 11.4 I was getting 30 in clear skies and doing not so good in overcast and rainy weather.

Configuration is
- Four screens (4K main, 1080p left, 1080p right, GPS)
- i7 7700K at OC'd to 5.2Ghz
- nVidia 1080-TI, 11Gb
- Air Manager instruments
- 7 Arduino's for controls

nVidia running 98% utilization, CPU at 40% - this Vulkan stuff is real good!

FYI: Raspberry Pi3 with instruments, 11-13fps. Raspberry Pi4 with same instruments getting 19-21fps.
FSX/P3D/XP11 - i7@5Ghz, GTX1080, 4 screens + Air Manager screen + custom hardware & Avionics COM, GPS, Radios, XPOND, AP (www.simav8.com)

SimPassion

Re: XP 11.5beta9, 56 fps with four screens and Vulkan

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Yes, great perfs enhancements,
I've not tried yet with current 3 monitors set (one is touch monitor), however I've already experienced up to 132 FPS in 2560 x 1440 / i7-8700K 3.70Ghz-4.35Ghz / 32GB RAM / Nvidia 1080Ti 11GB

same perfs usage as yours

Gilles

XP11.50b9_Check_01.jpg
XP11.50b9_Check_02.jpg
Last edited by SimPassion on Sun May 17, 2020 3:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

Yeah,

Great numbers on the graphics side. I think once the bugs are ironed out and all the plugins are playing nicely again it will be really good. I’m convinced this means greatly enhanced scenery aka FS2020 is coming to Xplane in the future.

Excited for these improvements. It’s good for simming to have some alternatives as it keeps the innovation flowing. :D

Tony

jph

#4 Post by jph »

bmcmullan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 1:34 am X-Plane 11 5 beta 9

getting 56 FPS with Vulkan with four screens and pretty aggressive "sliders", with XP 11.4 I was getting 30 in clear skies and doing not so good in overcast and rainy weather.

Configuration is
- Four screens (4K main, 1080p left, 1080p right, GPS)
- i7 7700K at OC'd to 5.2Ghz
- nVidia 1080-TI, 11Gb
- Air Manager instruments
- 7 Arduino's for controls

nVidia running 98% utilization, CPU at 40% - this Vulkan stuff is real good!

FYI: Raspberry Pi3 with instruments, 11-13fps. Raspberry Pi4 with same instruments getting 19-21fps.
Nice job ! ..but just to note - your cpu utilisation figures are not of much use on their own. You WILL be cpu limited (we all are with flight sims lol :D) . what you are seeing is an OVERALL percentage of utilisation across all cores. One core will be at 100% all the time - guaranteed - that will then cause a bottle neck. Treat the #overall# figures with a HUGE grain of salt. Using windows perf graphs is fine - but, ensure you right click on the CPU graph and select 'display all cores' - that gives you a sensible picture of the real utilisation on a per core basis. With Vulkan, you also dont see the GPU utilisation correctly - although you seems to be- if it appears low then it will be wrong lol.. if so, on the gpu graphs, if necessary select the second graph that is titled #copy#, click on the copy to get a drop down box and select 'graphics1' under Vulkan only..

GPU,,, well, it depends on the scenery and weather as you say. I can max out a 2080ti no worries if I want to, however a lot of that is some 'non optimal code' shall we say, in XP lol... - like the visible exhaust fumes bug in full screen forward view that drops fps by around 25% !.
Still, damn good figures there though and a nice rig :mrgreen: !. I merely wanted to highlight that it is not appropriate to rely on an 'overall' utilisation in mainly single threaded applications - XP Vulkan is still heavily single threaded. Nice to have a well performing setup in XP. SOund like a good rig there.

X-Plane IS rather nice though. I dont know about fs2020 as it will take years to iron out the bugs one would think - and, there is no support for multi monitors.... and by all reports the flight modelling is - err suspect - but time will tell.

Also, there is the fact that the scenery with XP can be stunning TODAY.. and we get out multi monitors haha.

Here's a little shot on triple monitors near RAF Menwith in Yorkshire (Beta16) this is will everything at settings at max apart from reflections which is on the first notch. ORBX TE Central UK. (it is also running AM on the fourth of course) ;) - smooth as butter. scenery is utterly amazing. Enjoy your nice setup . Joe.
RAF Menwith Echelon.jpg
Last edited by jph on Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

As an example of seeing true cpu usage - (hence bottlenecks !)

here are two graph / images taken from the windows performance graphs.

Note as I said above that in Vulkan you will not get a true GPU reading unless you select the second window graph under gpu, click on the word 'copy' on top the second window then select 'graphics1' (they do it to test us lol ;)

Here is one clearly showing a CPU bottleneck due to a single core maxed - (XP ALWAYS will do this.) and the utilisation is only showing as 14% ...... I wasn't running AM in this test I just wanted to show the bottleneck no matter what cpu you use when you have a core maxed. Other programs will make use of other resources but the limit is the limit for applications that dont play happily with multicores - like X-Plane (or ANY flight sim really).

Oh, and also please note the GPU usage is reading incorrectly as well (as an overall figure) as can be seen - so pay little heed to this and use the actual graphs - with the graphics_1 selected - or use gpuz etc.

Hope it helps.
Joe.
cpu.jpg
gpu.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

Sling wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 pm Yeah,

Great numbers on the graphics side. I think once the bugs are ironed out and all the plugins are playing nicely again it will be really good. I’m convinced this means greatly enhanced scenery aka FS2020 is coming to Xplane in the future.

Excited for these improvements. It’s good for simming to have some alternatives as it keeps the innovation flowing. :D

Tony
It's already here Tony ... :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#7 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:43 am Yes, great perfs enhancements,
I've not tried yet with current 3 monitors set (one is touch monitor), however I've already experienced up to 132 FPS in 2560 x 1440 / i7-8700K 3.70Ghz-4.35Ghz / 32GB RAM / Nvidia 1080Ti 11GB

Gilles

XP11.50b9_Check_01.jpg

XP11.50b9_Check_02.jpg
Hi Gilles .. were you using Vulkan there ? - it doesnt appear to be by the cpu graphs ?
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:37 pm
SimPassion wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 8:43 am Yes, great perfs enhancements,

Gilles

XP11.50b9_Check_01.jpg

XP11.50b9_Check_02.jpg
Hi Gilles .. were you using Vulkan there ? - it doesnt appear to be by the cpu graphs ?
Joe
Graph shows global usage and not on all logical cores which wasn't my purpose together with indeed not the initial request as we read

Gilles

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Graph shows global usage and not on all logical cores which wasn't my purpose together with indeed not the initial request as we read

Gilles
I have no idea what request you read.. ???
Also, as I clearly pointed out to you, the 'global usage' tells you absolutely begger all! - nada ! nothing even slightly useful at all You need to look at core usage, physical and logical. Unfortunately many - possibly you it seems ? may well believe that a completely irrelevant and misleading 'global usage' figure indicates that the cpu ISNT the bottleneck ?? - baffled.
But, whatever you are happy with. :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Sling

#10 Post by Sling »

jph wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:36 pm
Sling wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 9:12 pm Yeah,

Tony
It's already here Tony ... :D
I meant default scenery.