Understanding how to use a Knobster in VR

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Re: Understanding how to use a Knobster in VR

#11 Post by Keith Baxter »

I think this idea is awesome.
These guys work hard for the money. Without all these extras I doubt that they could afford to do what they do and we would be left with nothing.

let it rain for them.
giphy (1).gif
giphy (1).gif (1.69 MiB) Viewed 4639 times
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

krazycanuck2011

#12 Post by krazycanuck2011 »

Hi Corjan, I understand your perspective - however the knobster was not specifically noted anywhere when I started my research or for instance on air manager's webpage specifically that it ONLY worked with Air Manager panels while outside of VR. When I started on this project it was not until I had it working - paid 65 euros for the air manager software configured it and determined that it only works with panels within Air Manager. Than to find out you need an official knobster for an xplane11 vr plugin? I understand business, I own two myself - but I don't feel you should be isolating your customers. If customers have a DIY, I don't know why SI would not cater to all customers needs. Why not make the plugin available for those that purchased AM, why only standalone usb knobster v2 users? Why not the DIY market under Air Manager itself?

If this new board is an Arduino Elite-C or Elite Pro, there is not that much a difference - essentially a USB C connector strapped to a Arduino board.

I hear your comments Corjan - but I just don't think you should be isolating your customers and not listening to what they are saying.... If you want customers to buy knobsters and have a standalone plugin, thats great. But don't forget about the reason most people came to Air Manager in the first place - is for the flexibility. The flexibility to do it my way, the customers way. The way to cater to their specific home cockpits.

I don't want to upset you, that was not my intent. You should listen to your customers and their opinions / feedback for your products and how you roll them out...

Thanks again

Sling

#13 Post by Sling »

@krazycanuck2011 You have to remember you are one customer among many and you can never satisfy everyone. We have all been disappointed with some aspects of AM along the way. I think what i’m trying to say is you can’t always get things perfectly the way you want when you want.

I do think it is unreasonable to expect the knobster solution for nothing. I think it’s a little naive to think that you would get instructions for building a knob and the software to make it work free from a company. How you was expecting it to work without AM i’m not sure because the videos up until now that demo knobster all show it interfacing with AM.

On the other side are the customers/developers that have been urging SI to get back to the core AM development while the Flight Illusion work is undertaken. Now they find another project has taken time away from the core AM development. Like I said at the start, you can never satisfy everyone.

Not wishing to affend anyone but just my 2 cents.

Tony

Keith Baxter

#14 Post by Keith Baxter »

@Sling

Your quote.

“ On the other side are the customers/developers that have been urging SI to get back to the core AM development while the Flight Illusion work is undertaken. Now they find another project has taken time away from the core AM development. ”

I think we better prepare ourselves for a whole bunch more projects that are going to take time out of the core development. That is just a sense I am getting and have resigned myself to. We will just have to be patient!!!

I understand that these new projects bring in revenue and keep SI in business. I just hope that others do.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

krazycanuck2011

#15 Post by krazycanuck2011 »

Well I can confirm that using OVR Toolkit inside Xplane11 functions the absolute same with much more functionality than the Xplane 11 plugin that SI is developing currently for only knobster v2. It also allows you to use the old knobster (DIY or v1) flawlessly... This seems to be the best route to take honestly...

Corjan

#16 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Yes, that is a nice way to go :). Glad you found a solution that fits your needs.

Corjan

krazycanuck2011

#17 Post by krazycanuck2011 »

With OVR Toolkit you can also hide the window so when your not looking at the panel it disappears from view, you can literally lay the screen on the chair next to you... Decrease the fps in the window from 60 to 10fps so it does not cause a performance issue in Xplane11. This is an awesome solution, you can add other windows if needed for other things on your desktop pc. As many windows as big or small as you like. Great for streaming, chat services anything...

Tuckster

#18 Post by Tuckster »

I know this is an old thread but I'll ask anyway. I want to use the knobster in VR. I see where it can work using a drop down menu. How about using voiceattack to tell the knobter what to control ???

DeadZone44

#19 Post by DeadZone44 »

It always amazes me how upset people can get about something that is optional!
If you don't like it, don't buy it. Simple.

And please don't accuse us of stuff you don't know nothing about, it is dumb and very rude in my eyes.
For me personally, I would make more money and have better benefits if I would just take a "normal" programming job here in the Netherlands instead of working for SI (SI is more fun though :-) ).

Corjan

Corjan,
if you were to at least have a donation link I am sure lots of people would contribute, including myself. KnobXP is a wonderful little plugin and deserves some love back from the users to the developer.
Time is money.

DeadZone44

#20 Post by DeadZone44 »

Tuckster wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:08 am I know this is an old thread but I'll ask anyway. I want to use the knobster in VR. I see where it can work using a drop down menu. How about using voiceattack to tell the knobter what to control ???
Tuckster,
What you are describing already exists - Check out Plane Command. It too aids immensely in VR