helicopter Recovery Adventure.

You can talk about anything flight (simulation) related here

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

helicopter Recovery Adventure.

#1 Post by Keith Baxter »

I expect this thread to be covered in pictures and stories. :lol: :lol: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D :D

Ralph,Corjan

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Ralph

Re: helicopter Recovery Adventure.

#2 Post by Ralph »

Not that many pictures, we were mainly driving. We got to stay in the Sunlight Hotel in Nyköping again, we stayed there two years ago when we biked from Trelleborg to Stockholm. They have pancakes for breakfast :o
It was quite some work to remove the skids, especially with just metric tools available. Those Robinson guys use imperial sizes for all their nuts and bolts. But eventually, with the help of one of our friendly customers, we got the skids of and placed the helicopter in the van.

The helicopter was meant to hover just above the sea, but hit the water and sank into waist deep water. Luckily no one was hurt, and the helicopter doesn't have much damage.

On our way back we went to visit the Västerås Flygmuseum. Three volunteers showed us the collection, told allot of stories about the aircraft they have, and let us take a ride into their simulators. We tried the DC-10, the Metropolitan (Convair CV440) and the new A320 sim which is going to be available for public soon. Wonderful experience and lovely people. http://www.flygmuseum.com

On our way back we took the boat from Trelleborg to Lübeck-Travemünde. Always interesting to be on a boat, and the soft rocking of the boat made us sleep like babies.

The helicopter project is something for the winter. We'll post some updates about the proces of converting it into a simulator.
Attachments
IMG_20180808_165054.jpg
IMG_20180807_140501_1.jpg
IMG_20180806_195004.jpg

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

That's awesome Ralph.

Thank you for sharing.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

I know you all are in many other area around AM building or maybe other personal projects like home moving ...
I understand and it's the same on my own, however outside this,
and just by curiosity, how this recovery project and cockpit building is going along the way ?
Nice to see some pictures inside the cockpit and outside if any ... :)

Gilles

Keith Baxter

#5 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Bumping this one. Any update?

Keith

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Yes and no. We're working on a Bell 407 simulator first. When that's done, we'll continue with the R44.
Bellsim.jpg

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Ralph wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:07 pm Yes and no. We're working on a Bell 407 simulator first. When that's done, we'll continue with the R44.

Bellsim.jpg
Very nice Ralph,

Careful what you post. Those G1000 give hope of what is to come. LOL. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Please keep us updated on these projects. They are so interesting and get away from the coding.

Keith

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

We're going to make overlays for the X-Plane G1000, which shows the engine data, RPM's, etc. No self build G1000 :)

jph

#9 Post by jph »

Hi Ralph and Keith,
Firstly, lovely work Ralph - on the resurrection of the helo parts and also the panel so far. A pleasure to behold.

Is it just me though ? - or do many people see the G1000 etc - and glass pits in general - as a poor substitution for 'steam gauges ;) in sim cockpits ?
I absolutely understand that to get the thing up and ready asap, they are the way to go, and, a heck of a lot of real world aircraft use them.

For me, personally, they take most of the fun out of flight sims and flight sim cockpits. :( :shock: :? ;)
It is Soooooooooooooooo easy to end up with a generic cockpit where all aircraft seem to be the same. You (you used in a general sense) lose, imho, the ;feel; of the aircraft / helo and it's individuality.

As much as sims like X-P etc supposedly have 'amazing' flight modelling, it is not necessarily the case and taking away visual clues and references can and does make one (in a similar class) feel very much like the next one. :cry:

Steam all the way lol :mrgreen:

If I really didnt want to actually 'fly' an aircraft - but prefer to 'manage' computers, then I would use something such as an 'airbus' as there is very little stick and rudder skill needed - it is button pressing and systems knowledge. :? Actual 'flying' skills are very low on the CV of modern cockpit managers often referred to as 'pilots' - often, 1000 hours P1 is actually equal to a few hours in actual real world GA type flying skills.

IF you actually wanted to have stick and rudder real flying experience, then ga with steam is the way for me - each to their own of course :lol:

Helos are different of course - but when you fly the basics of collective cyclic and torque then the biggest difference is in response and layout of the cockpit - especially the lovely R22 cyclic centre mount - also the rotor inertia in the respect of pu failure or drive and the response to a loss of - and timing of course :shock: . a low inertia rotor in an r22 in a PU failure or loss of output is an exercise in collective reaction / response / timing and cyclic positioning.

Yes, for GA or helo GA, then Steam, all the way for me !. haha :mrgreen:
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#10 Post by Ralph »

Gerwin did all the work, I only ordered the G1000's :)

The G1000 version was easier to make. But a steam gauge version is on the roadmap, probably with a monitor behind it. The plan is to make it possible to switch between glass and steam.