Map & Navigation data

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Keith Baxter

Map & Navigation data

#1 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan,

I am so excited to see that a bunch or new features for Map and navigation is coming in AM3.5.

Please tell us the possibility's and and where this data might come from. :lol: :lol:

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Corjan

Re: Map & Navigation data

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

The idea is that the flight sim plugin can store flight plans. It will distribute this to all connected Air Manager and Air Player clients.

With Air Manager, you are able to see these routes, and alter them. It will probably be an extra tab where you see a moving map with the way points plotted on them.
Anther way to create/edit routes will be through the instrument API. The idea here being that you would be able to create something like an FMS to create routes.

There will be two additional layers to the map API. These layers will be able to plot the configured route on top of the map.
The NAV database will be expanded with stuff like runways.

I would also grab this opportunity to further optimize NAV data performance. I think I'm going to load all NAV data in memory on start of AM/AP. This will require quite some additional memory and a slower boot time, but will make querying for NAV data way faster.

This is all very much in the design phase still, we haven't decided if this will be the final design, but it seems like it for now :)

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#3 Post by Keith Baxter »

Corjan wrote: Sun May 27, 2018 7:37 am Hi,

The idea is that the flight sim plugin can store flight plans. It will distribute this to all connected Air Manager and Air Player clients.

With Air Manager, you are able to see these routes, and alter them. It will probably be an extra tab where you see a moving map with the way points plotted on them.
Anther way to create/edit routes will be through the instrument API. The idea here being that you would be able to create something like an FMS to create routes.

There will be two additional layers to the map API. These layers will be able to plot the configured route on top of the map.
The NAV database will be expanded with stuff like runways.

I would also grab this opportunity to further optimize NAV data performance. I think I'm going to load all NAV data in memory on start of AM/AP. This will require quite some additional memory and a slower boot time, but will make querying for NAV data way faster.

This is all very much in the design phase still, we haven't decided if this will be the final design, but it seems like it for now :)

Corjan
That sounds great Corjan,

Can't wait for that beta to start coming out.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

marcel_felde

#4 Post by marcel_felde »

Corjan, would be great to have an option to not load the Navdata during booting. Many devices, will not need Navdata and I prefer to be up and running in short time. ;)

Thanks and greetings,

Marcel

Corjan

#5 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

I'm not yet how it will all play out.
But it should be possible to load navigation data in the background, so the application boot is not effected.

Corjan

marcel_felde

#6 Post by marcel_felde »

Corjan, thanks!

Will it also be possible to display default flight plans and navigation information? For example to use the default GPS Flightplan on a Navigation Display?

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

I'm not really sure what you mean Marcel. Do you mean you want to use for example the default GPS in X-Plane to do the planning and then import this in Air Manager?

marcel_felde

#8 Post by marcel_felde »

No Ralph, I meant to show a route that is active in the default GPS. ;)

Ralph

#9 Post by Ralph »

Ah, no. The only way to do that would be to export the Air Manager flightplan as a .fms file and place it in the X-Plane folder. I'm not sure if there'll be any advantage in this.

marcel_felde

#10 Post by marcel_felde »

Our aircraft has an EFIS 85 equipped cockpit, two PFDs, two NDs and one MFD. Additionally we will add a GNS430 (X-Plane default) or a GNS 650 (if there will every be) - because we do not have more space in the panel for larger devices.

It would be great to have the default GPS Flightplan as a waypoint list for the MFD and as a routing on the map display on the MFD and NDs. But this will not be possible?

A colleague is doing a 737NG - I hoped it will be possible to display the flight plan from the default or add-on FMC on the ND. This is also not possible? (I have not yet read the "PFD and ND for B738-800 ZIBOmod" thread so I wonder how Jedeen is doing it).