Air Manager and Raspberry Pi - PMDG737 displays andd CDU

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

freddehboy

Air Manager and Raspberry Pi - PMDG737 displays andd CDU

#1 Post by freddehboy »

Hi

I can see that I am able useing Raspberry Pi for FSX, great and looks not so expensive :D

Some question:
1.) Am I able to use more than one display for one Raspberry unit?

2.) Am I able so use my own created instrument in Raspberry Pi concidering PFD, MFD & ECIAS displays for the PMDG 373NGX?

3.) I have planning baying a tablet for the CDU for the 737ngx but is Raspberry a better and cheaper solution?

4.) My project is based on Mobifligt + Arduinio bord but I can also see that Airmanager + Raspberry Pi can handle some components. is that correct?

5.) What can Airmanager solution handle who Mobilfight cannot handle? (Hope you understand :lol: )

Best Fredrik

Game control: Razer Nostromo, Keyboard, Saitek Pro Flight X-56 Rhino H.O.T.A.S.

Corjan

Re: Air Manager and Raspberry Pi - PMDG737 displays andd CDU

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

1) No, only the one HDMI port

2) Yes, all instruments that run on Air Manager can also run on the Pi.

3) It really depends on what kind of hardware you are buying. A screen + raspberry can be as expensive as a cheap tablet.
We also offer tablet version of Air Manager (iOS right now, Android within the coming months). But note that the tablet versions don't allow you to run your own instruments. All community instruments are available though (same as Air Manager for desktop)

4) Yes. Arduino's can be hooked up to both desktop PC's, but also to the raspberry directly. You can also use the Raspberry Pi I/O directly. Yes can be programmed from the instrument lua code.

You can find which hardware is compatible here, including the pins you can use for certain features:
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... re_id_list

5) I'm not very familiar with Mobiflight, maybe someone on this forum has worked with both Moviflight and Air Manager?

Please let me know if things are still unclear etc.,

Corjan

freddehboy

#3 Post by freddehboy »

Hi

I have look around and Raspberry is very interesting :D

1-2.)
I have Airmanager 3 since couple of months so I need to bay Airdisplay if I running more than one unit!

I can concidering running the PFD And MFD on one display, do you think that is too small running these two instrument say 10 inch?

3.) What solution would you go for Tablet or Raspberry Pi for the CDU? Inch 7 or 10 inch?

Best Fredrik

Corjan

#4 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

1-2) I'm not sure about the size of the display. I guess that is something you have to decide for yourself. Personally in must cases I would go with larger, simply because it is easier to read in most cases.

3) I think you can go both ways. If you like the option to change the code of the instruments, you should go with Air Player on the Raspberry Pi. If you are satisfied with the community instruments as they are, the tablet would be fine. (Note that Android is not yet supported)

Corjan

freddehboy

#5 Post by freddehboy »

Hi

Thanks for you replies :)

Are there some advantage choosing Pi 3 B+ instead of Pi 2B/B+ if you are running Airmanager or Airdisplay?

I have not seen that there is not any instrument I like too run for FSX. Am I lookling at the wrong place?

Best Fredrik

Corjan

#6 Post by Corjan »

No problem, happy to help.

Both Pi 3 and Pi 2 should do fine. Note that the Pi 3 has around 20% more graphical power, so in that regard it is a bit better.
Note that only Air Player can run on the pi, not Air Manager.

I'm not completely sure what you mean with the FSX instruments.

Corjan

freddehboy

#7 Post by freddehboy »

Hi

See picture, the displays I am talking about is marked :D

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

If it's the PMDG you're after then you're out of luck regarding the most of the instruments. The data they share through their plug-in system is very limited and not nearly enough to create a functional instrument. Do a search for PMDG on the forums and you'll find the stories.