Preview image of new Instrument ?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

oldFlyer

Preview image of new Instrument ?

#1 Post by oldFlyer »

Air Manager - Instrument Preview "file not found" ???

I've made a tranpsarent PNG of the panel of an Aerolite 103 and created it as an "instrument" so that I can place the dials behind it.
It works fine with "show" and "hide" but I can't get it to preview in the editing window, like the other premade gauges.

Whenever I add it to my new panel I get this "image not found" message in the editing window, even though it's displaying ok in the target window.

I'm guessing I need to generate a preview image somehow ??

I've searched through the wiki user guide and youtube, but haven't found a solution yet.
aerolite 103.jpg
[

oldFlyer

Re: Preview image of new Instrument ?

#2 Post by oldFlyer »

I think I've found the answer to my question after further searches through this forum.

It appears that I needed to add a "preview.png" image of my panel background and put it in the root folder of that "instrument".

I'll try that and reply back on here..... :D

I found the answer on this thread: https://siminnovations.com/forums/viewt ... iew#p27624

(What a great resource this site is, so much experience and knowledge).

Ralph

#3 Post by Ralph »

I'm not sure what you mean. But always make sure that it is .png and not .PNG for example.

oldFlyer

#4 Post by oldFlyer »

Thanks for the reply Ralph.

I must admit, the image of the blank panel surface is still not showing up in the Air manager editing window, even though I have now added a copy of the image to the root directory of that instrument and renamed it preview.png.

The preview image is now showing up in the list of instruments, but still not in the main editing window.

Do you mean that the name "preview.png" is actually case-dependant ? even the .extension ?

SimPassion

#5 Post by SimPassion »

oldFlyer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2023 10:08 am
I must admit, the image of the blank panel surface is still not showing up in the Air manager editing window, even though I have now added a copy of the image to the root directory of that instrument and renamed it preview.png.
After this, Air Manager have to be restarted in any case

The preview image is now showing up in the list of instruments, but still not in the main editing window.
What do you mentioned by "main editing window", could you please add a screenshot ?

Do you mean that the name "preview.png" is actually case-dependant ? even the .extension ?

Yes, due to multiple OS and platforms handling where case make sense ...

oldFlyer

#6 Post by oldFlyer »

Thanks, Simpassion and Ralph, it now works fine.

I had spelt the preview.png filename in lower case, but it was cause be not restarting Air Manager, as you suggested.

Here's a screen capture of what I was seeing when the image of the empty panle could not be found...
image not found.jpg

oldFlyer

#7 Post by oldFlyer »

Now I'm seeing this, with it showing up correctly in the edit panel of AM and on the lower screen when "Show" is clicked.
image found.jpg

oldFlyer

#8 Post by oldFlyer »

Here'e me testing the synchronisatio over Norwich with my panel.

For now I've just adapted some existing gauges, but it's working really well.

I'd normally fly with the "ahead only" view in xPlane when using the Air manager panel, but this shot shows the gauges nicely in step.
Airflight 103 over Norwich xp11.jpg