Honeywell Primus Epic DU-1080 display unit for Embraer E-jets by X-Crafts

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

WillemijnL

Honeywell Primus Epic DU-1080 display unit for Embraer E-jets by X-Crafts

#1 Post by WillemijnL »

I'm on my way to create a Honeywell Primus Epic DU-1080 display unit for the brand new Embraer E-jets family by X-Crafts (released last week). This instrument is based on the new video streaming feature in Air Manager 4.2 (BETA) and X-Plane 12. The menu's of the MFD can be controled in Air Manager by mouse or touch.

The display unit supports PFD pilot, MFD pilot, EICAS, MFD copilot and PFD copilot (selectable by an user property) and the aircraft add-ons E170, E175, E190 and E195 (also selectable by an user property). Support of the Lineage 1000 will be added when this add-on is released by X-Crafts.
Primus Epic user properties.png
Primus Epic user properties.png (16.34 KiB) Viewed 1076 times

Examples of the display unit (what you see here is already working).
PFD:
Primus Epic PFD.png
MFD:
Primus Epic MFD.png
EICAS:
Primus Epic EICAS.png

The bezel graphics are not the best, but for now OK to get the instrument working. These will be replaced in a future version when I have more time to create better graphics.

The MFD menu's work better in Air Manager than in the aircraft add-on itself because the Air Manager instrument is correcting a bug in the aircaft add-on (datarefs are not maintained properly when switching between menu's).

EDIT 19-5-2023:

Note 1: this instrument only works with X-Plane 12 and Air Manager 4.2 BETA 14 and higher. X-Plane 11 will not be supported with an overlay because the panels do not have a pop-out option to move them outside of X-Plane.

Note 2: this instrument is only available here in the forum until Air Manager 4.2 is released.

Willemijn
Last edited by WillemijnL on Fri May 19, 2023 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

steveald

Re: Honeywell Primus Epic DU-1080 display unit for Embraer E-jets by X-Crafts

#2 Post by steveald »

Looks awesome, I was kind of disappointed that the DUs didn't popout on the E Jets. X-Crafts clearly points that out in their documentation, so my bad, although I don't understand why they claim it's a Laminar issue when most other developers have managed to make them popout.
I am currently struggling with the Air Plugin crashing my X-Plane whenever I load a panel with a video stream, but I think it's a network problem on my end so I'll figure it out eventually. Are you running your video stream across a network or on the same machine as X-Plane?

Take care,
SA

P.S. I think the bezels look fine :)

Sling

#3 Post by Sling »

AFAIK Air player does not have any support yet for display streaming. It’s a AM 4.2 beta only thing at this time unless i’m missing an AP beta.

steveald

#4 Post by steveald »

Hi
I wasn't using Air Player. I have Air Manager on my desktop computer (not part of my sim) and I develop and test my stuff there. My sim is on several computers, the master pc runs X-Plane with Air Plugin BETA 9 installed. If I run X-Plane with X-Crafts E-195, connect GPU and turn on batts I can run a video_stream instrument in Air Manager BETA 14 on my desktop pc, which works, but within 2 or 3 minutes (just sitting there with no user interaction) X-Plane crashes. The only way I can replicate this is to run X-Plane with E-195 and Air Manager with a video_stream instrument running.
logic.lua
(225 Bytes) Downloaded 47 times
I have several Air Player licenses, but none running during this "experiment" and I am currently trying Air Manager BETA on the X-Plane computer to see if it is a network issue.

SA

I am going to start a new thread elsewhere, it wasn't my intention to hijack Willemijn's thread. my apologies.

Sling

#5 Post by Sling »

Honest mistake. I was out walking and on my phone when I read that and saw Air P and thought Air player. Probably because I’ve never heard anyone call it Air plug-in before as it’s usually just the plug-in. If you are using The 4.2 beta with the latest beta plug-in then it should work. As you say best to explore it further in another thread.

WillemijnL

#6 Post by WillemijnL »

The display unit is available to try. Download the file from the first post of this threat and import the instrument (siff file) in Air Manager 4.2 (BETA).

You can add the instrument multiple times in a panel. Set the user properties of each added instrument to match your needs.

Have fun.

WillemijnL

#7 Post by WillemijnL »

steveald wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 7:30 pm I am currently struggling with the Air Plugin crashing my X-Plane whenever I load a panel with a video stream, but I think it's a network problem on my end so I'll figure it out eventually. Are you running your video stream across a network or on the same machine as X-Plane?
My X-Plane is also crashing after 10 or 15 minutes when running the X-Crafts E-jets together with video streaming after some time. X-Plane and Air Manger are running on the same laptop, so there should be no network problem in my setup. But the Embraer Phenom 300 from Aerobask together with video streaming (working on other video streaming instruments too) doesn't crash X-Plane like the new X-Crafts E-jets. For the moment it's unclear to me what causes the crashes. I haven't tried yet to run an E-jet without video streaming to see if it also crashes without video streaming or not.

steveald

#8 Post by steveald »

Hi WillemijnL,
I have tried the following combinations:

AM beta 14 on PC1, X-plane 12 with Air Plugin BETA 9 and E-195 on PC2
This setup only crashes (so far) and always crashes within a few minutes when I have E-195 running in X-Plane on PC2 and the video_stream instrument running on PC1.

I thought it might be a network issue so I put AM beta on PC2 to try, so...

AM beta14 and X-plane 12 with Air Plugin BETA 9 and E-195 all on PC2
Same results as above, so not network issue

I thought maybe it had to do with the hardware on PC2 (my main sim PC) so I put the Air Plugin BETA 9 on PC3 (one of my visuals pc's), and...

AM beta 14 on PC1, X-plane 12 with Air Plugin BETA 9 and E-195 on PC3
Same results

AM beta 14 on PC2, X-plane 12 with Air Plugin BETA 9 and E-195 on PC3
Same results

All of the above tests were done with X-plane only running on one machine at a time, configured as master with no external visuals computers configured, and all plugins disabled in Xorganizer except Air Plugin. I even tried powering down all pc's not involved in tests.

Once, the log.txt said the crash was due to Air Plugin, the rest of the time it just said X-plane has crashed, or the log just ended, but always with an xnavmap exception error.

I then went into the Plugin menu in X-plane and disabled xnavmap, and it runs until I shut it down with that plugin disabled. However I think that plugin is vital to the aircraft, so I would not call that a solution.

I have tried loading things in different order, ie run X-plane then run AM and run panel, or run X-plane with the panel already running.
I have tried loading the Cessna first, then the E-195.
I have tried changing the graphics API in AM from auto to OpenGL and to DirectX.
I have changed the settings in the E-195 from new avionics to legacy avionics (I don't remember the exact wording of the setting) and the realistic delay setting.

Running an AM panel with regular (no video stream) instruments seems to work (so far)
During all my testing, all I have done in the E-195 is turn on the 2 batts, and connect and use the GPU, then sit back and wait for something to happen.

So, my brain (for what it's worth) tells me that the video stream code in Air Plugin does not like something in the xnavmap plugin from the E-195.
As far as what to do next, I am at a total loss. I am just hopeful that because both pieces of software are either beta or very early release, that a future update of one or both of them will fix this.

Here's what I am working on at the moment, to run on an overhead 22" touchscreen.
E-195 Overhead.png
I haven't done any coding yet, and I'm not sure if I am going to split it up into multiple instruments or just one big one.

I have 2 FlightSimBuilder G1000's and this is what I threw together to try the video streaming before I started having problems and discovered your current project. It's a bit cartoonish, but a start.
Left G1000 screen.png
Hopefully the plugin software will evolve into something that works for us and the E-Jet, as I really like the plane.

Take care,
Steve