L3 Trilogy ESI-2000

Working on a instrument project or just finished a project? Show it to others!

Moderators: russ, Ralph

brodhaq

L3 Trilogy ESI-2000

#1 Post by brodhaq »

Hello from Prague, Pavel here. I am developing the L3 Trilogy ESI-2000 ESIS (electronic stand-by instrument system). Sofar all flight/navigation functions are working, all speed references are adjustable for multiengine or single engine aircraft. All the speed/altitude/heading/slip/horizon indicators take raw x-plane flight model data and calculate the results on their own (aka taking sea level pressure and user-set QNH in consideration), so this unit is fully independent on the native x-plane cockpit indicators (so this will remain working even when all other insturments are set failed via xplane instructor station). Failures of this ESIS will be triggered separately.
All I need to do is finish the menu functionality, charge/discharge logic and failures (there is a plan to toggle failures of individual sensors from another Air Manager via network). Currently X-Plane only, no plans to do FSX/P3D ready.
Video:

(it was the very first version, with lot of bugs which were resolved since then).
Original unit: http://www.l3aviationproducts.com/products/trilogy-esi/
I am developing the actual hardware unit (bezel, buttons, LCD display, raspbery Pi - all in one ethernet plug-and-play) which might be available for sale in not so distant future via our small company.

Next plan: Universal Avionics EFI-890r - also fully featured EFIS with all modes/menus/failures, also with available hardware unit (buttons, displays, Raspbery Pi, remote panels for full cockpit, etc) :) Expect in 2018. Currently hardware development in progress, software dev will start in few weeks.

Pavel Brodský
trilogy_esi2000.PNG
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Sling

Re: L3 Trilogy ESI-2000

#2 Post by Sling »

Nice work Pavel. I was going to do the ESI-2000 at some future point because it's one of the units I have access to. If you ever need any confirmation with a real world unit then just let me know and I'll see what I can do. L-3 manuals are pretty good so you can get almost everything you may need from them.

brodhaq

#3 Post by brodhaq »

Hello,
that is a great offer - actually I need following things:
1) When the aircraft power is disconnected, so the unit starts its 5 minutes countdown: can you make a video how the messages look? There should be yellow and later red blinking message "press any key for battery power" and countdown timer, but in the manual there is no actual screenshot where those messages are placed, how fast they blink, etc.

2) Can you make a video of unit boot, from cold and dark, including selftest and alignment, until fully ready unit?

3) If you have time, please record a complete manual shutdown.

That is all I need, today I am finishing the battery power logic and it will be done. All items described above are done, but I can easily change the graphic or time parameters to 100% match. Today I did the status screen, etc - the unit is quite complex and not so easy 8-)

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

When you ask for a manual shutdown do you mean switch off aircraft power and force the unit to switch off by pressing buttons. If yes that is what we normally do to shut them down anyway to save the battery from the full 5 minutes of use. I can do item 2 on your list because I think I have a video of that already. The other items I can do but not for a while because we don't currently have a unit. I'll find that video and pm you and I'll do the other bits when we next get a unit.

brodhaq

#5 Post by brodhaq »

Perfect, thanks :)

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

brodhaq

#6 Post by brodhaq »

Unit fully finished. Bezel is a stand-alone instrument for those, who are not building actual hardware parts. Working with desktop setups (Aka touchscreen or mouse control), as well as with full cockpits (hardware buttons, screen only, etc)

https://youtu.be/ZXhNwoPgMzQ

Features:
Full 1:1 representation of the original unit with all features "by the book"
Independent on X-Plane default pilot/copilot AHRS and other sensors - the unit reads data directly from flight model (aka air density), and calculates the displayed values independently. This way, if you trigger any failures, this unit still lives. Independent on pilot/copilot altimeter settings. A true stand-by instrument!
Metric altimeter optional (as per real unit - needs to be allowed by a single click in the code, not configurable via the menu by the crew)
All reference airspeeds fully customisable as per the real unit (stall speed, single engine climb, max speed, etc). Configuration in the code by entering all required speeds in knots.
Single engine or multi engine mode.
Fully modelled Li-Po battery power/charge/discharge logic. If your DC bus is on, the unit is powered by it. If your DC bus is off or failed, the unit switches to internal battery and will enter 5-minutes countdown for automatic shutdown to prevent battery drain. You must cancel the countdown by any button to continue using the unit. The internal battery discharges with time, and if left discharging, the instrument will eventually die after a looong time. If you re-connect your DC bus, the unit will start charging. If left long enough with DC bus power, it will fully re-charge. The unit can be only powered-off (manually) if the DC bus is off (as per the real unit, to avoid unintentional mid-flight power down). The unit can be only powered-on (after it was shut-down) by switching ON the DC bus.
Internal AHRS alignment (quick on unit start-up and slow when selected by user from the menu)
Baro units configurable (inHg or hPa)
Display dimming working
Status screen available (only for certain time after the unit power-up, as per the real unit)
Unusual attitude recovery mode as per the real unit (pitch chevrons appear, heading bar disappears during the unusual attitude)

Working and tested with XPL10/11. Not interfaced to FSX/P3D with no current plans for it (unless well paid :lol: :lol: )

I will contact SimInnovations tomorrow with discussion about publishing this one :)

Best regards,
Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Keith Baxter

#7 Post by Keith Baxter »

Looking real good and great work Pavel.

I do not know the plane or instrument but I love how the menu system works and will look forward to seeing how you did it.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

brodhaq

#8 Post by brodhaq »

Thank you Keith! I have done this unit for our LET 410 homecockpit (www.inaero.cz), but this L3 Trilogy stand-by instrument is also used on various other and better-known types like Pilatus PC-12 NG, and similar. Mostly on regional props. The menu is fairly simple to do, just lot of various conditions, if/else's, etc :D

Pavel
Pavel Brodský
Prague, Czech Republic

Keith Baxter

#9 Post by Keith Baxter »

brodhaq wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:29 pm Thank you Keith! I have done this unit for our LET 410 homecockpit (www.inaero.cz), but this L3 Trilogy stand-by instrument is also used on various other and better-known types like Pilatus PC-12 NG, and similar. Mostly on regional props. The menu is fairly simple to do, just lot of various conditions, if/else's, etc :D

Pavel
Yes I understand exactly what you say about if/else's . They can boggle the mind and get very complex. :)
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card