Outer encoder fine, inner encoder only counterclockwise

Support for the SimWareKits Knobster in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Binto100

Outer encoder fine, inner encoder only counterclockwise

#1 Post by Binto100 »

Greetings. I managed to get a Knobster together even with my crappy soldering skills. I am using a knockoff nano from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713XK923?ps ... ct_details\

The wiring schematic calls for 3 grounds and the nano has two so I spliced the push button common wire onto one of the existing ground wires. I soldered A/B/COM (D4/D6/Gnd) for the inner encoder and a/b/COM (D3/D2/Gnd) for outer encoder and D6/Gnd for push button. This is the Gnd I spliced onto one of the other grounds.

I flashed the nano and enabled the Knobster no problem. The issue I’m having is with the inner encoder. Outer encoder works fine but inner encoder will only turn a dial counterclockwise regardless of whether I turn the inner encoder clockwise or counterclockwise.

I appreciate any/all suggestions. Does it sound like I cross soldered something?

Bruce

SimPassion

Re: Outer encoder fine, inner encoder only counterclockwise

#2 Post by SimPassion »

Binto100 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 5:05 pm Greetings. I managed to get a Knobster together even with my crappy soldering skills. I am using a knockoff nano from Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0713XK923?ps ... ct_details\

The wiring schematic calls for 3 grounds and the nano has two so I spliced the push button common wire onto one of the existing ground wires. I soldered A/B/COM (D4/D6/Gnd) for the inner encoder and a/b/COM (D3/D2/Gnd) for outer encoder and D6/Gnd for push button. This is the Gnd I spliced onto one of the other grounds.

I flashed the nano and enabled the Knobster no problem. The issue I’m having is with the inner encoder. Outer encoder works fine but inner encoder will only turn a dial counterclockwise regardless of whether I turn the inner encoder clockwise or counterclockwise.

I appreciate any/all suggestions. Does it sound like I cross soldered something?

Bruce
Hi Bruce, could you please post a good quality picture showing the soldering which would help us to help you ?

Additionally, could you check with this instrument and report if you get value displayed in the console for each single input ?
0 - A 2 Arduino Simple CHECK CLONE.siff
(5.45 KiB) Downloaded 62 times

Binto100

Re: Outer encoder fine, inner encoder only counterclock

#3 Post by Binto100 »

Sorry for not seeing your reply. Thank you.

I soldered up a new Knobster and it works, but the outer encoder ‘turns’ the inner encoder and vice versa AND motion is in reverse! I must have an and A and b and B mixed up.

Bruce

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

Yes you have swapped wiring. Swapping the same size A with the same size B will change direction. Swapping all lowercase with all uppercase will swap the outer and inner.

Binto100

#5 Post by Binto100 »

Sling -

Thanks very much for your quick reply;

Swap A and B for direction change THEN swap A and a and swap B and b to correct inner/outer encoder response. Do I have it?

Appreciate it,

Bruce

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Yep that should do it from what you described.