Hall sensor

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

SimPassion

Re: Hall sensor

#51 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:18 am
SimPassion wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:22 am
jph wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:27 am .../...
As said, send me your details via PM and I am happy to send you an AS5600 to play with. No worries :)
Joe
Thanks for the offer Joe, though after going more in deep on my maintenance task on proximity sensor, I've realized I would rather need real hall sensor with varying values for this throttle project, rather than only 0-1 states due to the rods move and displacement on longitudinal axis, so I have to decipher a bit and retrieve my reference on what I've already elaborated in the past.
Hello Gilles,
The as5600 offer a multitude of outputs, you can have a literal 'degree - or less' - an analogue value - anything. There is no 0 or 1 output - it is a full control unit in a single chip . It only needs a single first calibration (offline). It can handle multiple turns, or can be set to an arc in a simple method that is set to the onboard eeprom that will never change. You can read the output via analogue or digital data steam.
Maybe we are not on the same wavelength ? but it would appear to me the AS unit offer everything you need and more.
Please can you give me an example of what you are accomplishing ? Maybe I have misunderstood ?.
Joe
I have to follow the location of the magnet glued on a rod, which only move itself longitudinally (horizontally) in front of the sensor, so without any rotation. There will be 3 independent rod with their own single magnet and 3 single dedicated sensor (one sensor for each single rod). Each of the throttle axis will push one of the 3 rods with spring for rod return.

jph

#52 Post by jph »

Hi Gilles
so, if I understand you correctly you are attempting to measure the 'distance' from the sensor rather than an angular rotation ? :shock: ;)
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#53 Post by Keith Baxter »

Thank you Joe.
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#54 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:43 am Hi Gilles
so, if I understand you correctly you are attempting to measure the 'distance' from the sensor rather than an angular rotation ? :shock: ;)
Joe
Fully right

jph

#55 Post by jph »

SimPassion wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:45 am
Joe
Fully right
Wow, Gilles, that is a big ask. :)
I would seriously suggest that you engineer the project for rotary angles rather than distance. There is no hall sensor able to so what you need in any meaningful way.
By converting the linear to angular movement you can use the AS sensor. Like a crankshaft. IMHO that is by far the way to go. Ultrasonic or even differential laser measurements at such short distances are not feasible and certainly not hall (magnetic field decay etc)
I would seriously suggest looking at a linear to rotary conversion via linkage or whatever is needed - unless of course, there is absolutely no other choice.
Cheers Gilles sir
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#56 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 8:47 am Thank you Joe.
No worries Keith, I look forward to working with you with this as I am facing the same issues and have been pondering the answers (or possible answers) for several years.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#57 Post by Keith Baxter »

Joe,

I have got quite a long way with printing all the bits. Another week and a half and then I will be on to the electronic side.
IMG_5691.jpg
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#58 Post by SimPassion »

jph wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:58 am
SimPassion wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 9:45 am
Joe
Fully right
Wow, Gilles, that is a big ask. :)
I would seriously suggest that you engineer the project for rotary angles rather than distance. There is no hall sensor able to so what you need in any meaningful way.
By converting the linear to angular movement you can use the AS sensor. Like a crankshaft. IMHO that is by far the way to go. Ultrasonic or even differential laser measurements at such short distances are not feasible and certainly not hall (magnetic field decay etc)
I would seriously suggest looking at a linear to rotary conversion via linkage or whatever is needed - unless of course, there is absolutely no other choice.
Cheers Gilles sir
Joe
Thanks Joe, I have to think a bit more and investigate on what can be done. Sorry Keith having diverted a bit though the start was around sensor, anyway, next time I will create a own specific thread.

tomlithgow

#59 Post by tomlithgow »

I'm conscious of not having looked at motorized throttle controls as my interest is in GA aircraft. However, I've been experimenting with Hall sensors lately for throttle levers and also for calibrating stepper motors. I would have thought that the critical thing you need to know in automating a throttle control is not so much where the motor is rather the position of the lever. This is easily achieved by mounting a magnet (I've been using 6x3mm neodymium magnets) on the axis of the throttle lever and mount a Hall sensor such that the magnetic field varies with the lever position. I've been using 49E sensors (these give a linear output) which are very inexpensive and give a very consistent output. If you're wanting to know the stepper motor position, run a calibration routine on power-up that takes the throttle lever to a "zero" position and using a switching hall sensor to set that position (I've found that 3144 sensor (again very inexpensive) do a very consistent job calibrating stepper motors).

Keith Baxter

#60 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Positioning of the leaver is the easy part. Simple code like this works just fine when the lever is manually driven.
This of course can be reversed when one wants to drive a motor.

Code: Select all

local flap_position = {{0, 0},
                       {0.05,0.125},
                       {0.1,0.25},					   
                       {0.2,0.375},
                       {0.35,0.5},					   
                       {0.4,0.625},					   
                       {0.5,0.75},					   
                       {0.6,0.875},					   
                       {0.8,1}}					   

hw_pot_flap = hw_adc_input_add("Flap Lever", function(flap_lever)
   new_flap_lever = var_cap(flap_lever,0,0.8)
   xpl_dataref_write("laminar/B738/flt_ctrls/flap_lever", "FLOAT",interpolate_linear(flap_position, new_flap_lever))
end)
But I hear what you are saying.

Keith