Default mode for knobster in knobfs

Support for KnobFS, share your experience and KnobFS modes.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Blodwyn76

Default mode for knobster in knobfs

#1 Post by Blodwyn76 »

Hi

I'm using knobster in MSFS with knobfs. However I have to first open the knobfs menu each time when starting a flight to get the knobster running.
Isn't it possible, to define one of the modes as a default option, which is automatically started when starting a flight.
I use one mode in 99 % of my knobster use, so I only would have to enter the menu when having to change the mode.

Thanks for the help.

Ralph

Re: Default mode for knobster in knobfs

#2 Post by Ralph »

That would be another configuration. We want to keep settings to a minimum.

Blodwyn76

#3 Post by Blodwyn76 »

Ok, I see. And an „autostart“ of the knobster, without having to open the menu therefore isn’t possible too?

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

Some want the Knobster window opened at start as in X-Plane and not shown at start as in MSFS
Just wondering why SI made things differently in X-Plane vs MSFS ? 🤔
For me I just don't want to see the Knob window opened at start in any sim, just my own taste, however I fully understand some other want to get it in a custom way

Blodwyn76

#5 Post by Blodwyn76 »

SimPassion wrote: Wed Mar 22, 2023 4:02 pm For me I just don't want to see the Knob window opened at start in any sim, just my own taste, however I fully understand some other want to get it in a custom way
Ideally I don’t wanna see the window at all.
The issue is, that you have to open the window, to get the knobster to work at all. Instead of having a default mode, that works on start-up and only for changing this default mod you have to open the window.

So for example you first use the knobster to change the com1 frequency every flight. You could define this mode as default and it works directly after starting the flight.
Just when you need other modes later you have to open the window (and here an option to open it without mouse would be great!).

At the moment the knobster simply has no function without first opening the window.
It’s a luxury problem, I know, but would improve immersion.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

The problem with these things is that everyone has their own preferences.
For example, we made method to increase the font size, then someone complained that it was too big. You cannot satisfy everyone.

SimPassion

#7 Post by SimPassion »

We can add to this, SI also has its own POV which is not always necessarily the same POV as the users one, there each one POV could fight again each other
This is why came the customizable options in the software design story, to let each one do on his own taste ... ;-)
Yes, I know the answer could be K.I.S.S. ... or software which doesn't fit users requirements, freely on each one taste ... ;-)

Blodwyn76

#8 Post by Blodwyn76 »

I see the point of having to satisfy all customers needs. And I don’t want to insist too much. But improvements, which don’t change the user experience at all but may be a benefit for some could be implemented.
The above mentioned „default mode“ would not change anything for the users that don’t need/want it, because their workflow would stay the same (open up knobfs after start and choose mode). Users, that would be happy with the default mode could skip these step and use it directly after the start of the flight.
But as I said: just wanted to suggest an improvement, it’s a luxury problem and I can live with the solution as it is atm 😉