Wet / Magnetic Compass Questions

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

bmooneyhan

Re: Wet / Magnetic Compass Questions

#21 Post by bmooneyhan »

So I start with a panel that has no compass of any kind. In Create/Edit there is no hardware function of any kind:

1. In the Panel, I add the hardware instrument and configure the stepper type, steps, etc. and set the pins. Once done if I go look in the Create/Edit tab under Hardware, a new hardware function is there but it is not configured.
2. Show the panel, the stepper does not update when the plane moves.
3. Hide the panel, go to Create/Edit and select the hardware function, set all params. for type, steps. etc and pins.
4. Go to Panel, Show the panel, the stepper does not update when the plane moves.
5. Go to Create/Edit tab, select the hardware function, Run it in Create/Edit, the stepper moves when calibrate is pressed and when the plane moves.
6. Stop the hardware function, go back to the Panel Show it. The stepper does not move when the plane moves.

It's like the compass in the panel is not tied to the hardware function.

I sincerely apologize for all the questions. I still feel like it's something very basic I'm not understanding.

Keith Baxter

#22 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

No. You do not use the instrument in create/edit. <create/edit> is for DEV and <create/edit> not for running in simulation

Add it to a panel and run from there.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

bmooneyhan

#23 Post by bmooneyhan »

Thank you all for your help. I have lied to you, unknowingly. It does appear to work properly, once. If I hide the panel then show it again, it does not work. BUT, I noticed that my LCD for the AP (on the same Arduino) doesn't initialize properly either. I remove the stepper code and it seems to operate normally. I think the Arduino is getting glitched from the stepper, maybe not enough power, this particular Arduino is not wired for external power, only the USB power. I'll wire external power to it and see what happens. Also, did I read in one of the other stepper-related threads that the VID66 or 4988 driver is preferred to the ULN?

Thank you all for your help

SimPassion

#24 Post by SimPassion »

bmooneyhan wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 6:08 pm Thank you all for your help. I have lied to you, unknowingly. It does appear to work properly, once. If I hide the panel then show it again, it does not work. BUT, I noticed that my LCD for the AP (on the same Arduino) doesn't initialize properly either. I remove the stepper code and it seems to operate normally. I think the Arduino is getting glitched from the stepper, maybe not enough power, this particular Arduino is not wired for external power, only the USB power. I'll wire external power to it and see what happens. Also, did I read in one of the other stepper-related threads that the VID66 or 4988 driver is preferred to the ULN?

Thank you all for your help
Yes ULN are well-known for dissipating hot temp on usage

bmooneyhan

#25 Post by bmooneyhan »

Okay, an update for the forums...

It's working as it should. I found that it wasn't power or the stepper controller. For some reason, if I define the pins for the stepper on my Arduino "C", it glitches the Arduino. This is without even having any wires connected to the pins. I searched every Lua file for re-used pins and didn't find any, moved it from "C_A12,13,14,15" to "C_D40,41,42,43", and it made no difference. I moved the pins for the stepper to my Arduino "B_A0,1,2,3" and it functions fine. I still haven't put the 4988 driver on it, probably will at some point. I have no idea why it behaves like this, BUT it is working now and I thank everyone for your help. The big bonus is that it forced me upgrade to AM 4.

Buddy