7 segment display Pin outs?

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Re: 7 segment display Pin outs?

#231 Post by Kaellis991 »

Joe,

I thought about using that original radio panel front but realized I dont have the room on my desk and decided to make my own narrower panel so I could stack the COMM and NAV displays in a vertical arrangement.
Your question about the opening was concrening the original radio.
Those glass windows are 24mm x 9 mm.
Trying those .3" digits would be a possibilty but I think the .36" display I have will be close enough, however, thanks for the offer

Edit; I never for once thought there were any 7 segment displays that would fit that 24 x 9 opening.

Kirk.
Last edited by Kaellis991 on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

jph

#232 Post by jph »

no worries Kirk,
whatever works for you. :D
if you want the special custom 0.3" x 5 digit units let me know, only too happy to help.
Best of luck sir.
Or, if you want me to mod the original hardware for AM then also no problem.
Joe
Last edited by jph on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#233 Post by Kaellis991 »

Thanks

Kaellis991

#234 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:44 am Hi Kirk,
I thought you were using the original panel from the hardware ?

It would be better - and fun - to make the original hardware work with AM. pretty easy too.
it's only a (probably) bcd output per digit so 4 pins per digit. - a single mega or pico with mux units would sort it :)
I think there was a communication failure here on my part.

So were you thinking that I could use the original hardware front panel only and then use a 7 segment display that would fit in that window with the accompanying circuit board?
It's a 24mm x 9 mm aperture that I never once thought would be a 7 segment display that would fit in that glass opening since those white digits on the rotary wheel were so narrow.

Or were you thinking that I could use the actual innards of the rotary switches and the dials as is with all the multiple wafers and contacts?
It would be fun to try it either or both ways...

Kirk

jph

#235 Post by jph »

Kaellis991 wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 12:23 pm
jph wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:44 am Hi Kirk,
I thought you were using the original panel from the hardware ?

It would be better - and fun - to make the original hardware work with AM. pretty easy too.
it's only a (probably) bcd output per digit so 4 pins per digit. - a single mega or pico with mux units would sort it :)
I think there was a communication failure here on my part.

So were you thinking that I could use the original hardware front panel only and then use a 7 segment display that would fit in that window with the accompanying circuit board?
It's a 24mm x 9 mm aperture that I never once thought would be a 7 segment display that would fit in that glass opening since those white digits on the rotary wheel were so narrow.

Or were you thinking that I could use the actual innards of the rotary switches and the dials as is with all the multiple wafers and contacts?
It would be fun to try it either or both ways...

Kirk
Hi Kirk,
I mean using the original hardware with the original innards :D
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#236 Post by Kaellis991 »

Hey Joe,

That would be a fun project, but where would one even start with this jumbled mess of gears, wafers, contacts and wiring?

IMG_6373.JPG

jph

#237 Post by jph »

Well it's not exactly a beginners project but also not particularly complicated :)
They could be using various methods such as resistive ladders and / or offset multi-pole switches. There are two 20 (maximum) position reels each side. The workings will no doubt be duplicated and identical each side.
Best way to start is to get schematic from the service manual.
It is so old that here will definitely be one. That will tell you all you the information needed to mod it for use with a micro controller.
See if you can find one ? - one with good quality copies of the - probably - hand drawn diagrams.
After that it should be fairly straight forward.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#238 Post by Kaellis991 »

jph wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:03 am .......
After that it should be fairly straight forward.
Joe
Easy for you to say.... ;)

I will do some research on the schematic.