Garmin G500

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Steamer

Garmin G500

#1 Post by Steamer »

Running X-plane 11, I Have an Aquila 210 from Picus-X which is equiped with a Garmain G500 (not the new touch / TXi variant!) I am looking for a way to use this panel on Air Manager.
I have Air Manager running on a seperate Windows 10 VM with a touchscreen (via GPU-Passthrough), I found out that if I would want to pop-out the G500 screen of the Aquila I would als need to run X-plane on the VM since it would otherwise not be possible to drag the pop-out to the touchscreen. The only problem is that I have nog found a G500 on Air Manager... Is there a way to implement the G500 panel?

https://picus-x.com/
X-Plane 11.53, Air Manager V4 running on Windows 10 VM (Proxmox VE)

Ralph

Re: Garmin G500

#2 Post by Ralph »

No, pop outs only work on the same computer as the flight simulator (X-Plane). It would be easier to bring Air Manager to the flight simulator computer.

Steamer

#3 Post by Steamer »

You mean it is possible to pop-out the G500 with bezel and then use this G500 in Air Manager with all the same functions it has in the Aquila 210 ?
I thought I needed a working G500 "bezel" form Air Manager for this to work... but maybe I interpreted the videos from Russ Barlow on youtube wrong about this.
I Guess I then just need an extra licence from X-plane for this to work on the VM which also runs the Air Manager (in what X-plane calls a Master -Slave setup) ... since I Have 5 monitors (3 normal monitors and 2 touchscreens) which I cannot connect all to one computer...

Sling

#4 Post by Sling »

It’s not clear if the G500 can be popped out into its own window and un-docked from the sim display. If it can then the next thing you will need is custom commands and/or datarefs for all the bezel controls. If these are also available then you can do the same as a normal sim pop out using AM to control it. Xplane and AM need to co-exist on the same machine.

Steamer

#5 Post by Steamer »

If it can then the next thing you will need is custom commands and/or datarefs for all the bezel controls.
Which means one would have to program the bezel and function of the knobs and buttons?
I am not sure if I am the right person to do that... :shock:

Keith Baxter

#6 Post by Keith Baxter »

Steamer wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:09 pm
If it can then the next thing you will need is custom commands and/or datarefs for all the bezel controls.
Which means one would have to program the bezel and function of the knobs and buttons?
I am not sure if I am the right person to do that... :shock:
Hi,

We could teach you and in no time you could become a master at instrument dev. :D

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

Steamer

#7 Post by Steamer »

OK... So I guess there is no other option then to create one myself.
Where would one have to start with? A picture of the bezel?
Can I somehowe use the Garmin GTN trainer for the G500 for this?

JTailor

#8 Post by JTailor »

Did you ever find a solution for the G500 bezel?

pege

#9 Post by pege »

Just found out there are other users of Aquila and AirManager! 👍

Any news about the Garmin implementation?

How have you setup your instruments currently? I am thinking about implementing some Aquila instruments on AirManager. I am most interested in the following:
  • Airspeed indicator with correct speeds (maybe there is a generic one available?)
  • Manifold pressure and RPMs with correct limits (maybe there is a generic one available?)
  • Garmin interface
  • Switch panel with correct sequence (I suppose this is easy to be implemented)
  • Carburetor heat
  • Flaps actuator
  • Trim actuator
Baybe there are already some implementations out there?