Can I add a physical encoder to nano

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

tbj

Can I add a physical encoder to nano

#1 Post by tbj »

Hello All, I've been using my DIY Knobster with a twin G1000 cockpit setup since last summer with no problems. I would now like to add a physical rotary encoder or two. Will I be able to simply add the encoder or will I have to re-flash the nano back to 'empty' and then add the knobster and the new encoder(s) together.
Thanks for you help.
TBJ

SimPassion

Re: Can I add a physical encoder to nano

#2 Post by SimPassion »

This is either Knobster flashing, or AM Nano, not both at the same time on the same Nano board
With cheap price we find on the market, I suggest to keep your DIY Knobster and add a new Nano with AM Nano flashing, you will not regret.

tbj

#3 Post by tbj »

Thank you SimPassion, that's what I'll do then. Does that mean I will have to choose a different channel letter for the new one and also Com port?
TBJ

SimPassion

#4 Post by SimPassion »

tbj wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 3:37 pm Thank you SimPassion, that's what I'll do then. Does that mean I will have to choose a different channel letter for the new one and also Com port?
TBJ
For the COM Port yes obviously, for the channel letter, don't worry about, Knobster and Arduino have their own dedicated line of channels, so we can have Knobster A, Nano A, Uno A ... at the same time

tbj

#5 Post by tbj »

Thank you again.

jph

#6 Post by jph »

You can also use a Pi Pico which is FAR cheaper than a 'nano' and is massively more capable. It is worth trying both.
Obviously, for the knobster diy you will need to use a nano as it is specifically coded for that.
Have fun though - enjoy. :D
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.