AM4 Demo Doesn't Do Networking?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jrosenow

AM4 Demo Doesn't Do Networking?

#1 Post by jrosenow »

Hi, all!....virgin newbie...woohoo! :-)

I downloaded the latest AM4 demo to my desktop computer, to play with prior to purchase. I have a demo copy of XP12 on the desktop also, and AM4 connects up great, and displays the demo panel. Feeling adventurous, I tried to connect to my dedicated XPlane computer via my wired network, but no joy. I can ping the IP of the sim computer from the desktop, but AM4 will connect to neither XP11 or XP12 on it (yup, I added the AM4 plug-in to both). Wondering if that's a (certainly understandable) restriction in the demo AM4, or operator malfunction on my part. Thanks!

Jim

Ralph

Re: AM4 Demo Doesn't Do Networking?

#2 Post by Ralph »

jrosenow

#4 Post by jrosenow »

Thank you! I appeciate the leads!

Jim

jrosenow

#5 Post by jrosenow »

Just a quick update. I went thru the suggestions on the wiki and all was as proscribed.

I played a bit more and found that the AM plug-in wasn't loading in XP11....and....my simvim-based switch panel wasn't working either with AM in the plug-ins directory. Light bulb time....simvim! (For background, in XP12 the AM plug-in wasn't loading either, but the simvim stuff worked OK.)

Pretty sure simvim and AM don't want to play together, which sorta makes sense. That is sorta kinda confirmed by the fact that AM works on XP12/my desktop, which doesn't have simvim.

The plan is to replace the simvim stuff using AM anyway. The interesting part will be managing the transition. I hate to mess with a great-running system by pulling the simvim plug-in out to test. Maybe after a full disk back-up. May try sticking the simvim plug-in into the desktop XP12.

To quote a wise and great philosopher, "It's always sumpthin!".

Jim

PS- Drifting my own thread....Totally un-related questions... Are the community-based and premium panels all editable? My goal is a panel for the Carenado T210, which we use to emulate a r/w 182RG. Would be great not to have to start from scratch. ....and...are the AM G5's considered study-level?...currently using RXPs GTNs, but we're installing G5s. Thoughts and advice welcome!

SimPassion

#6 Post by SimPassion »

The concern of using both SimVim and AM at the same time, is related to the inability to handle each single Arduino device by more than one Application at the same time. The first application which open the communication to the device get the exclusive usage
Last edited by SimPassion on Sun Jan 08, 2023 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralph

#7 Post by Ralph »

There are quite a few people who use this combination, so this is no issue at all. The X-Plane log tells which plugins are loaded and if not why, so that's what you can check.

Air Manager 4 does not check for Arduino's by itself, so that's no problem as well.

SimPassion

#8 Post by SimPassion »

Ralph wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:25 pm There are quite a few people who use this combination, so this is no issue at all. The X-Plane log tells which plugins are loaded and if not why, so that's what you can check.

Air Manager 4 does not check for Arduino's by itself, so that's no problem as well.
Though my statement still stand correct in any case ...

jrosenow

#9 Post by jrosenow »

I went out and checked my XP11 and XP12 logs as suggested....not even touching the AM plug-in attempting to load!? Yup...the plug-ins are in the subd. Fine I'll download another copy...maybe a corrupted download. Out to the website, and....

I found the issue, and, as I'm sure we all suspected, it was the dreaded ID10T error! Note to self....the linux and win10 versions of the AM plug-in are not inter-changeable. I had just grabbed the plug-in from my (linux) desktop and stuck it in the (win10) sim computer. As the IT folks say...RTFM! :-)

Working fine now....major duh! Sorry for wasting everyone's time!

Jim