Arduino Detected But Instruments Not Updating

Support for Arduino in combination with Air Manager and Air Player

Moderators: russ, Ralph

GeneralTed

Arduino Detected But Instruments Not Updating

#1 Post by GeneralTed »

Hi,

I have been unable to find anything like this in any YouTube video or forum as to why I am having this issue. I am running air manager 4 with a basic c172 panel setup and I have a flashed Arduino mega connected to my pc. The Arduino flashes fine without any issues. I can assign different pins within air manager and the two devices are able to communicate between each other. However no matter what button or encoder I have setup nothing changes on the screen/instruments. the Arduino Rx light flashes consistently so I know air manager can speak to the Arduino and whenever a button or encoder is pressed the Arduino Tx light flashes so I know that the Arduino is (at least attempting to) speak to air manager. I have tried different combinations of two pc's running air manager and an Arduino mega, nano, and uno and have had the exact same issue on all three.

If anyone has had this issue or know what the problem is help would be greatly appreciated.

Ralph

Re: Arduino Detected But Instruments Not Updating

#2 Post by Ralph »

Start with a test instrument in the Create Edit tab and add some prints to your script.

GeneralTed

#3 Post by GeneralTed »

Ok that works,

I made a simple program that printed "button pressed" to the console when I pressed a button. Do I need to program every single component with hardware commands? or am I able to assign buttons and encoders to the default C172 panel?

jph

#4 Post by jph »

Hi,
post an example of the code you are using with the default 172 panel. The original code that you say doesn't work.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

GeneralTed

#5 Post by GeneralTed »

I just got it to work,

My issue was that I did not have the flight simulator open while I was messing around with air manager. I was trying to setup my instruments before I opened the sim because I was using a fresh install of windows and had not yet taken the time to download FS2020. This is obviously a simple fix but I was surprised that I did not see any notes or posts of this issue. But maybe it was just a dumb mistake on my part.

Thanks for the help

Sling

#6 Post by Sling »

Not dumb Ted but something that often catches people out. The way most of the instruments are coded means the sim has to be in the loop. It’s essentially something like this.

Operate hardware
Arduino tells AM hardware has changed
AM sends appropriate change to sim
Sim responds by updating some corresponding data source
The AM instrument is monitoring for changes to this data source and responds to the change by doing some action to the instrument. Such as rotating the heading bug when it’s value changes.