Feature: Panel Folders

Let Sim Innovations know about your Air Manager experience and let us know about your dream feature addition

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Crunchmeister

Re: Feature: Panel Folders

#71 Post by Crunchmeister »

Sling wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:13 am
What Paul has mocked up here is exactly my interpretation of what Rob asked for originally for the Home tab.
Ditto. Exactly what I was envisioning for the Home tab as well.
- Ryzen 5950x, 64GB 3600MHz RAM, RTX3070Ti

Simstrumentation Instrument dev
Free Air Manager instruments for MSFS available at http://www.simstrumentation.com

Sling

#72 Post by Sling »

Corjan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:42 am The sentiment here is purely from a dev perspective.
I think this is getting unfairly tagged as a dev only feature. Rob originally asked because he wants to be able to start his panels in an organised way with a single click. That is something that all users will benefit from not just developers.

More instruments and panels just compounds the issues that are being discussed here. Once again these are not specifically dev requests but from users who happen to have a huge amount of instruments and panels. I could stop developing tomorrow but these problems are still there for me as a user. Perhaps it’s a case that I and others have a particularly large library but more and more users will start to build their libraries too. I think implementing something like this now helps a key user base right now and additionally it’s being pro-active by making AM ready for those other users as their libraries grow too.

FLRob27

#73 Post by FLRob27 »

Tetrachromat wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:25 pm At least in my version of 4.1.6 you can do grouping in the Home tab. Just add some name into that new 'Group' field in the 'General settings' and a group branch with that name is added in the left hand tree, listing all panels with that same group name.

Enhanced_UI.png

How is that you can't do it? Oh well its just in my imagination.

But, wouldn't that be sufficient and please the casual user as well as the advanced few?

Paul
This idea was my original intention- just a feature on the Home screen.
It's becoming very messy on the Home tab, and there really needs to be folders/grouping so that multiple Panels (usually of the same Aircraft) can be nested together. There doesn't need to be fancy logic to this, just a folder you can rename, drag multiple panels into it, and can do a Show/Hide toggle on.
As multiple people have expressed, more and more planes are being developed, this problem isn't going away. At the end of the day it affects the end user experience of having a clean interface. I believe this addition of an extra layer outways the complexity cons. I believe you'll find this feature to be a very receptive one among all users, not just power users.

Now, in regards to the request of the "tagging" on the Credit/Edit instrument list, personally the text search function at the top of the list satisfies my needs. I just type in the model and it filters perfectly. I understand the request being made for a better way to do it, but I agree it could add complications. This tab is typically for power users, so complications are our middle name, but to Ralphs point their development time is better suited else where. We can live without that feature, there is a good work around, (use the search filter) for keeping your create/edit page as clean as it can be when developing.
But for the Home screen, it's just getting more cluttered as planes are built out.

I believe at this point we've beat this thread up enough. We are definitely grateful for the continued improvements to AM and the direct line of support, I agree it's a cavate not commonly found.
Developer
SIMSTRUMENTATION
EXTERMINATE THE MICE FROM YOUR COCKPIT!
https://github.com/Simstrumentation/Air-Manager

Sling

#74 Post by Sling »

FLRob27 wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 4:46 am We are definitely grateful for the continued improvements to AM and the direct line of support, I agree it's a cavate not commonly found.
100%. As I’ve said before when we’ve discussed other topics, this passionate response from the community is a sign that they care very much for this product and have a desire to see it get better. This is in no way a reflection on the great work that has already been done to get us to this point. I think we all appreciate the continued dialogue so thanks for listening and considering the ideas presented.

Happy Christmas.

Keith Baxter

#75 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Last one from me here.
What I have resorted to when working on projects is to empty the OPEN_DIRECTORY and create a OPEN_DIRECTORY which I tag as to what they all are.
This helps me NOT have a cluttered create/edit list when working on projects. My full list is nearing 500 instruments and that does not include any store instruments other than the ones I have submitted.
It is a hack and cumbersome I know, but one has to do what one has to do to make it easier for my work flow style. That has been the main reason for my request over the last year or two.

Oh, I also have to delete all panels as AM will autocratically add all the instruments back to the OPEN_DIRECTORY and clutter the create/edit list.

But if it cannot be done, I am fin with it. I can continue to do what I have been doing all this time.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#76 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:42 am Hi,

Have to agree with Joe on this one. The sentiment here is purely from a dev perspective.

When we are exhibiting, I always ask existing AM users what they want.
Almost unanemously they say more panels :). Seems like always their facorite aircraft is missing.

Doing a survey is a smart thing I think, gives more insight,

Corjan
Hi, Whilst I agree that is (the survey / questionnaire) is an absolutely superb way of judging sentiment I think you need to build in a 'bias' algorithm for the 'lairds' that run the so called 'discard' sites (or whatever they are called). The laird has the (unfortunate) INFLUENCE - POTENTIALLY - over the vote. If a 'laird' on a 'discard' sire creates a huge amount of influence (B/S) over their 'membership' then any true survey of users could be skewed. (it is often a sheep mentality - but - rarely - not always. ;)
This is 'social media' at it's worst.
You mostly don't see a true result, you see a distorted result.
But hey :lol:
Just a note that if the self made 'influencers' want to skew a result they will and can. It expands a fair vote beyond SI.

Just IMHO of course ;)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#77 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

Why does Joe always have to create divisions. The above post is clearly to antagonize groups that are doing the community a fantastic service. Far more than he has done. All I see is purpose to antagonize and cause conflict.

All the instruments the discord community's produce are top draw quality and are vetted before added to the store.

What is Joe trying to archive? Shut down the Discords. Discredit their work? Or, Try to be the BOSS and it is done my way and only on the forum.

@Corjan Considering that there is a big active audience on the discords. Those are the users that will give a fair reflection of what is wanted because they are on the coal face. They are the users requesting instruments and panels in droves. They are the most active users using AM and new users that needed guidance.

These peeps also talk in other groups and promote AM. Mostly a new user would be in a cockpit build Discord or on FB group and hear about AM. That triggers a AM sale and then they join a discord where they get help. That often incites a new bunch of instruments that are developed.

The forum on the other hand has become rather unhelpful and a place to cause conflict. Peeps are often discouraged by the "do it your self" or "did you not use the search" attitude. The discords opens up that barrier and peeps are helped through the process by people willing to help and share.

Forums have their place but social media that help each other has a far bigger impact. And it saves you guys work because it is all been done for you. :) The guys love to help each other so do not worry about that.

Please post and advertise the survey on all discords as that is where the action is and users helped. There are at least 2000 members on the discords that I know. As you know there are often more than 100 users active on the discords at any one time. More than on the forum.

Also Please add in your questioner. Where do you get the better interactive help and info from. Forum or Discords.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#78 Post by jph »

Not at all Keith/
The use of the 'discards' can in fact be used to 'appeal for up votes / ask for certain replies' in a questionnaire.
This is or could be seen as a back handed way of skewing a result of a survey. It could also make a certain 'request' appear more 'requested'.

The other thing dear, is that it is not a popularity contest. When people request something (as in the 'feature request' part of the forum) then it is up to the AM guys only, it is not an appropriate place to comment on what YOU make not pretend to like / understand (or even have the slightest clue about)
What I object to is a certain very small core of people - you included - attempting to not just 'request' additional features, but to try to actively 'steer' development in certain directions and even go as far as to post comments such as - Corjan etc should not be wasting his time with x y z. This is simply not appropriate and is totally uncalled for.
Sling man (AMB) did the exact thing to a post by - I think it was Paul ? - regarding external file IO, you agreed with the OP but dare not disagree with a flame post by said user even though it was totally inappropriate. You have done the same on several occasions. THAT is what I object to.
People should be entirely free to request something without some (seemingly ) inebriated user jumping in and saying 'MY request is much more import of the developers time' etc etc.
It is insulting to the developer as they know what is needed to be worked upon and do constantly develop the program. Yet a VERY small group - (three - mainly)- seem to think it is their place to try to DICTATE - not request - what is done !

I actually DO support additional methods to enable sorting and grouping in create/edit. What I do NOT support and never will is a very small minority group jumping in and vocally attempting to proclaim that someone 'else's' request is not as important as theirs. That is utter BS.
In your own case, It may well be, from the generally chaotic presentation, that the simple skill to organise even a naming convention for files, and certainly a simple back up system, are not understood or used. That may be a first step to assist.
I still believe that it is better to have a general consensus on future developments in AM via a survey. It allows feedback to the real DEVS. It helps in decision making.
Yes, I do believe that the discords or discards or whatever they are called can be a negative influence in such however as one in particular is run more as a popularity contest due to alleged insecurity ;)
I do have 100% confidence in the decisions of AM no matter how they are arrived at though.
As I have said to you before old chap, please take more water with it, or maybe stop altogether.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#79 Post by jph »

Please post and advertise the survey on all discords as that is where the action is and users helped. There are at least 2000 members on the discords that I know. As you know there are often more than 100 users active on the discords at any one time. More than on the forum.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ROFLMAO
TWO THOUSAND ???
King Keith, lord of all he oversees. (BS). Oh the insecurity is the driver, not ANY desire to improve things. You only have to look at the output.

Also Please add in your questioner. (I think you mean questionnaire' :? ) Where do you get the better interactive help and info from. Forum or Discords.
Yup. some slurring old goat that fumbles from one thing to another whilst hastily googling things he never will understand. I vote for Keith's discard.
Purely for the entertainment value.

ww3 ?
Joe. CISSP, MSc.