Could use some help with NAV/COMM radio

Are you building a cockpit, planning to build one or just dreaming, this is your cockpit builder meeting point

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Could use some help with NAV/COMM radio

#1 Post by Kaellis991 »

My Arrow cockpit is nearing completion. Most of the functions / knobs that need manual manipulation are handled by hardware and a knobster.
The latest addition is a GPS stack with the transponder and an audio switch panel. The GPS stack still needs the panel insert.

For now the 2nd NAV/COMM radio, the DME and the NDB are operated with the knobster. (see aircraft panel image)

However, my lofty ambition was to create those (3) radios by repurposing used radios much the same way I reused an actual autopilot.
I looked at the Flight Illusion products for those 3 radios and they are pricey.

But I realized a couple of things. First off, since ADF navigation is rarely used, I might as well use the knobster for the NDB frequencies.
Second, a used KN 62A DME radio is very expensive....even more so than the Flight Illusions product. It would also take a lot of effort...even if it is possible to repurpose.
So as a DME stop gap, I installed two slider switches for the power and freq. functions (not shown in GPS stack) and can continue using the knobster for the freqs.
Perhaps I can add a rotary encoder later for the DME freqs.

What I would prefer is the second NAV/COMM.
For that 2nd radio my initial thought was to repurpose an actual KX175 I have.
But after looking at the way this radio is designed and constructed, I can't see how to integrate it into an arduino and air manager.
The rotary switches and large cylinders with the numerals on them would make modifying it very difficult. (see attached)

So for me the next logical step is to add two dual rotary encoders for the NAV/COMM radios. The freq display would still be in the Xplane aircraft, but the knobs will be mounted to my GPS stack off to the right side.
However, I have not worked with rotary encoders before.
The image below shows one of the rotary encoders I have.

So where do I begin in setting up the rotary encoder? I can't find instructions on how to mount this rotary encoder to the included board. I think I have an idea of what to do.
There are Siminnovation rotary encoder instructions for connecting to AM and Xplane and I think I can figure that out once I get the rotary encoder ready.

Just adding the rotary encoders would be a good step forward but to take it a little further, I have some 7 segment displays and the IC for them (see image).
So I am thinking about making a couple of small NAV and COMM units to simulate the KX175.
Those I can stack on top of each other to the side of my GPS stack .

Any direction or comments on how to start with this NAV/COMM project would be very appreciated....I will have a lot more questions as I dive into this.
Thanks,
Kirk

GPS Stack.jpg
KX175.jpg
image.png
Attachments
rotary encoder.jpg
2nd radios.jpg

Ralph

Re: Could use some help with NAV/COMM radio

#2 Post by Ralph »

There are already a couple of hardware functions that can do this. But in your case I think you want to do NAV/COM with one encoder?

Kaellis991

Re: Could use some help with NAV/COMM radio

#3 Post by Kaellis991 »

With one encoder, would the center pushbutton switch swap between the NAV and COMM radios in the sim?
That is pretty much the way the knobster is working right now.

I was thinking that having a dedicated encoder for each radio would add to the realism a bit more. Sorta like this....
image.png