Help with Air Manager + G5's + JustFlight Arrow III Autopilot Issue (MSFS2020)

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

Re: Help with Air Manager + G5's + JustFlight Arrow III Autopilot Issue (MSFS2020)

#21 Post by Sling »

ebaydan777 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:33 am Yes I understand. but in the justflight arrow, you set a target altitude, put VS to +500, and when it gets to target altitude (2,000 ft for example) it keeps flying at +500 VS. It does not level off at 2,000 feet and stop climbing. So I am trying to figure out if it is a JustFlight Arrow issue and is not capable of this type of autopilot, or if it is something else.
You still haven’t confirmed what autopilot it is. Not all models do as you explained.

SimPassion

Re: Help with Air Manager + G5's + JustFlight Arrow III Autopilot Issue (MSFS2020)

#22 Post by SimPassion »

Daniel @ebaydan777 and Tony @Sling, it looks like the autopilot is the Piper Autocontrol IIIB with AP track, if it doesn't differ in MSFS. Here with the JustFlight Arrow III in X-Plane 11 :

image.png

SimPassion

#23 Post by SimPassion »

I just made some new testing with the G5 and the JustFlight Arrow III in X-Plane 11, so I confirm the G5 used alone, will overshoot the target altitude, in any case, with trying many different ways, though if and only if we don't use a complimentary autopilot which doesn't provide ARM feature for ALTS

So the advice is to use the G5 together with the Sim Innovations "Generic - Bendix/King KAP 140 Autopilot System" and now it works
  • Set the target altitude on the G5
  • Set VS using UP/DN buttons
  • Push ARM button to arm ALTS Mode
  • Set AP to ON
image.png

Ralph

#24 Post by Ralph »

To emphasize, the G5 has no influence on the autopilot whatsoever. All it does is display data from the simulator. So with or without the G5, the result will be the same.

SimPassion

#25 Post by SimPassion »

Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:48 am To emphasize, the G5 has no influence on the autopilot whatsoever. All it does is display data from the simulator. So with or without the G5, the result will be the same.
Yes Ralph, it could have been I've turn the sentences in the wrong way
The current Air Manager G5 Premium Panel doesn't seems to provide a way to set VS, this is why I suggested to run a proper instrument on side of G5, to be able to set it, with together using the G5 displays
I guess this is rather the aircraft addon and perhaps the real one, which is not able by default to perform level off at selected altitude, by itself. Not checked for the moment, how it could be performed in the virtual cockpit, without running any other additional internal or external instrument, though

[EDIT] Made clarification in the text, to explain better what I meant initially, in any case
Last edited by SimPassion on Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keith Baxter

#26 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

I suppose it should work like this.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01112-12_A.pdf

But.... MOST Sims and DEV house do not model correct. Many short cuts are taken. Data is required to dev these instruments. I will leave the rant there.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

SimPassion

#27 Post by SimPassion »

Keith Baxter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:37 pm Hi,

But.... MOST Sims and DEV house do not model correct. Many short cuts are taken. Data is required to dev these instruments. I will leave the rant there.

Keith
Thanks Keith for the reminder. In the documentation, it looks like the recommended devices to use in conjunction with the G5 is the Garmin GMC 507, so the nearest is the GFC500 from the Online Store which unfortunately doesn't handle MSFS (will try later to add required commands) So, it's possible to use the Garmin GMC305 autopilot from the Online Store, which is MSFS compliant. Just a few features less than the GMC507. Here the GMC305 is on screenshot bottom :

image.png

RyanK

#28 Post by RyanK »

Ralph wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 5:48 am To emphasize, the G5 has no influence on the autopilot whatsoever. All it does is display data from the simulator. So with or without the G5, the result will be the same.
And that's how it should be. A G5 is not an autopilot, it just interfaces with certain Garmin autopilots (like the GFC500) to display and control parameters like HDG, ALT, VS, etc.. Similarly, the Air Manager GFC500 doesn't change the aircraft's autopilot logic, it just sends commands to the sim engage modes or change parameters. If you want it to work like a GFC500, the sim aircraft needs to have a well-modeled GFC500.
SimPassion wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 4:43 pm
Keith Baxter wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 12:37 pm Hi,

Keith
Thanks Keith for the reminder. In the documentation, it looks like the recommended devices to use in conjunction with the G5 is the Garmin GMC 507, so the nearest is the GFC500 from the Online Store which unfortunately doesn't handle MSFS (will try later to add required commands) So, it's possible to use the Garmin GMC305 autopilot from the Online Store, which is MSFS compliant. Just a few features less than the GMC507. Here the GMC305 is on screenshot bottom :

image.png
The GMC507 is a control head for Garmin autopilots like the GFC500 or the G3X's built-in AP. The 305 is basically the legacy version of the same thing.

Ralph

#29 Post by Ralph »

As Ryan mentioned, there's no control logic in the instrument, so it does not matter which one you pick.