Doesn't work with X-Plane 12 (but works with MSFS 2020)

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

wohnlich

Doesn't work with X-Plane 12 (but works with MSFS 2020)

#1 Post by wohnlich »

I have a weird problem with AirPlayer for Raspberry Pi. It doesn't work with X-Plane 12, but in that combination. The AirManager running on the PC does work, and the AirPlayer on Raspi does work with MSFS2020 as well. So it doesn't seem to be due to the X-Plane plugin (it's reported as installed, is listed in the Plugins menu in X-Plane, and it displays correctly on the PC.) It also doesn't seem to be a problem with the Raspi itself because it works with MSFS 2020.
There is a network connection to the AirPlayer on Raspi - I can change panels and download the log. It looks normal.

Again, as an overview:
AirManager on PC with X-Plane 12: works
AirManager on PC with MSFS2020: works
AirPlayer on Raspi with MSFS2020: works
AirPlayer on Raspi with X-Plane 12: doesn't work

Any ideas?

Ralph

Re: Doesn't work with X-Plane 12 (but works with MSFS 2020)

#2 Post by Ralph »

Has nothing to do with X-Plane or our plugin. That's just a plain old security (firewall) issue.
Please see our wiki.
https://siminnovations.com/wiki/index.p ... n_problems

wohnlich

#3 Post by wohnlich »

I still don't understand how, in this combination, it can be a firewall issue, but I bit the bullet and spent a good part of the weekend migrating to the new AirPlayer for ARM, and now it works.

As a feedback, @Ralph , the migration from the old AirPlayer on Raspi to the new AirPlayer for ARM is a tall order. While the first one just involved ironing an image onto an SD card, with the new one you have to do a complete Raspi install and modify the installation. I'm lucky that I have some Linux skills, but if someone never worked with Unix, they'll have A LOT to learn. I hit a couple of problems with the Autostart and screen resolution and spent a good part of the weekend googling and configuring a Raspi I never wanted to have as a standalone device.

Once that it done, it's tedious work to clone the panels from the old Raspi to AirManager on the PC and then back to the new Raspi, then push each personal instrument individually to the Raspi. AirManager lacks a simple backup and restore solution for panels that encompasses the Raspi.

All that to have what I had before.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

It isn't really aimed towards novice users. It's the consequence of using Linux and different boards, there's always something to tinker.

I don't see why there would be a difference in 'storing' or making a back up of your panels?

wohnlich

#5 Post by wohnlich »

I don't see why there would be a difference in 'storing' or making a back up of your panels?
To backup panels from an Airplayer on ARM, today I have to clone each of them to the AirManager on PC (from where I can back them up).

After having installed the new Raspi, you have to clone them back to the Airplayer from AirManager on the PC and push each of the instruments individually.

Ralph

#6 Post by Ralph »

Uh yes, so...? :)