Minimum RAM for Air Player

Support for Air Player desktop on ARM devices, like the Raspberry Pi.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

FlyerDavidUK

Minimum RAM for Air Player

#1 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

The requirement spec for Air Player on Linux states 1 GB

Is this RAM or Flash Memory?

Some threads below suggest it would work on a 512MB board and I am wondering if that is still the case?

It’s also a little unclear whether a single board can be used for both Air Player and I/O. Is this possible with only the Raspberry Pi or can other Linux SBCs be used?

I want to access some buttons and outputs via a network connection rather than USB, but no need for remote display or keyboard. Am looking for a simple minimal solution that is available in stock.
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

Corjan

Re: Minimum RAM for Air Player

#2 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

That would be RAM.

Air Player itself only needs about 50 Mb to run. But note that when you run graphical panels, it requires additional GPU memory for textures, approx. 120 Mb or so for a 1080p panel. CPU and GPU memory are shared on most SBCs.

You can indeed only access Raspberry pi I/O through our API.

You can however connect an Arduino to the SBC through USB, and create I/O that way.
That should work with any SBC.

Corjan

jph

#3 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:15 am Hi,

That would be RAM.

Air Player itself only needs about 50 Mb to run. But note that when you run graphical panels, it requires additional GPU memory for textures, approx. 120 Mb or so for a 1080p panel. CPU and GPU memory are shared on most SBCs.

You can indeed only access Raspberry pi I/O through our API.

You can however connect an Arduino to the SBC through USB, and create I/O that way.
That should work with any SBC.

Corjan
Hi @Corjan - Can I just clarify that please ? - it is possible to run Arduino via USB on a pi with Air Player ? :shock: I thought that only the on board I/O was accessible ?. Good news if an Arduino can be used as well. I was under the impression it was not possible.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#4 Post by Ralph »

That is possible, it behaves like any other Air Player device.

jph

#5 Post by jph »

Well, that is very impressive. Thanks for the feedback.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

FlyerDavidUK

#6 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

That's very helpful. My older Pi only has 512MB RAM so will need to get a newer model.

Pi's seem to be very much out of stock at the moment. There is a Rock Pi 4 equivalent though.
I already have an Arduino MEGA so can plug it in for the I/O if required.

However, I wondered if Siminnovations or anyone else has tried this product and is there any possibility it support the I/O pins too?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rock-Pi-Comput ... 0B927D21G/

There's a lot of choice of these boards around now, but much less immediate availability.
UK Private pilot and flight instructor with CPL/IR/FI/IRI approx 2000 hours offering remote flight instruction via Zoom
See my FlyerDavidUK.com website for trip reports around Europe/US, my training experience and services offered

jph

#7 Post by jph »

David, I must confess I don't understand why anyone would want to use a hugely overpriced and slow 'pi' for AM ? - (I am sure some must have their uses in someone's mind .. - but ... :shock: )

A far better proposition unless you have some very specific reasons for the pi is something like -
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125559402010 ... R4bZ2Jz_YA

You can hook up dual displays directly and add as many Arduinos as you like.

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Ralph

#8 Post by Ralph »

GPIO is only accessible on Raspberry Pi's. But you can connect Arduino's and Raspberry Pi Pico's.

FlyerDavidUK

#9 Post by FlyerDavidUK »

Rapsberry Pi's either seem to be out of stock or quite expensive (£200 for a starter kit), as jph points out. However they do drive 2 HMDI screens plus I/O onboard, whereas other options would need additional hardware to do that.

A recycled older PC is cheap but would take up space, so for a similar amount £50, I see I can buy an Intel Compute Stick with 2G RAM, 100GB Flash Drive, USB 2 & 3. The downside is that it only natively supports one screen whereas the Pi can drive 2 and needs the Arduino or Pico interface board (which I already have).

I suppose it depends if you want to drive more screens (I am considering driving two more tablet sized ones) or more I/O (the arduino has tons of I/O ports).

The Intel Sticks come with Windows 10 pre-installed. Would you recommend sticking with that, or installing Linux instead.

jph

#10 Post by jph »

Hi David, the pi might have 2 hdmi outputs but that doesn't mean it can drive 2 screens in a useful manner unless the resolution is quite low. What resolution are your 'tablet' sized screens ?
The pi was designed as a 40 USD SBC and at that price it is interesting. Above that it is a different proposition. The compute sticks are ok for video streaming but I have no experience of doing anything else with them unfortunately.
Have a look at a Q190 or an M92 or M72 as another option if space is of that much of a premium.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.