Video_stream_add

Support for Air Player desktop.

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: Video_stream_add

#21 Post by jph »

That will definitely be interesting to see. There is good reason for hope in what you are saying if you don't have to have the virtual cockpit enabled.
It would be interesting to compare frame rates with VC on, VC off, and VC off with streaming.
On some general aircraft I even tend to remove all traces of the virtual cockpit from the air config so that I can use trackIR ;)

Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#22 Post by jph »

Corjan wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:29 pm

If they where smart about it, they wouldn't render any avionics if the virtual cockpit is turned off and no requests have been done through the API.
But then again, I am not a X-plane programmer :)

Corjan
I wish you were !
I am sure then we wouldn't have had the homage to Brian Eno's third album in 1975 that we have had with X-Plane since inception. 'Another Green World' ;)
(great album though)
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Puukka

#23 Post by Puukka »

I´ll definitly give it a try as soon it´s implemented in a stable version, as I understood, it´s not recommended at the moment?
Thanks and regards,
Herbert
Herbert Puukka

MSFS - CRJ, X-Plane - Citation X, Air Manager, FSHud, Navigraph

JackZ

#24 Post by JackZ »

Ralph wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:10 pm It's on some way the same. But in this case you can directly request which texture you want, the user doesn't have to search for the right texture.
The streaming across the network is already working. This means that you can also show it on for example an iPad.
It uses H264 compression, so there's very little data going across.
Wow. Always thought this kind of trick would be a killer (I recalled suggesting the use of a process like this in AM a couple of years ago), glad you can finally implement it now that it’s part of the XPlane 12 API.

The H264 texture compression is a neat trick, does it maintains the crispness of a PFD ?
My YouTube Chanel on the A320 (Real SOPs by an Airline Pilot IRL):
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 0Q6SBASRqJ

Corjan

#25 Post by Corjan »

Hi,

Yeah, the image is quite okay I would say.

But you can judge for yourself,

Corjan

Keith Baxter

#26 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

@Corjan At the moment LR only have the 18 odd avionics. There are 3rd party dev's talking to LR to allow for creating their own callbacks.

Should this happen I foresee pressure on you guys to add these callbacks every time a new airframe is made available. Would it not be better to have a "subscribe" system rather than a fixed callback system? This would stop continuous requests to add 3 party xplm_device_xxx.

Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#27 Post by jph »

What is the native resolution of the video stream ? - for example a G1000 PFD ?
A lot of the 'quality' will depend on that as opposed to the encoder as the H264 is excellent and will not be a source of issues.
I presume you the only option is whatever Laminar give you ?.
Then it will come down to the device you are displaying in on and the size of the output window in relation to the size of the actual video stream (in regards to quality).
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#28 Post by Keith Baxter »

Hi,

The quality is pretty good. This img shows the pop-out on the left and video on the right.
Screen is a 32' 1080P TV monitor.

IMHO the video seems better than the pop-out
ice_screenshot_20221008-105151.png
Keith
AMD RYZEN 9 5950X CPU, Corsair H80I cooler, ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS AMD Ryzen Mother Board,  32Gb ram Corsair Vengeance 3000Mh, MSI GTX960 4G graphics card 

jph

#29 Post by jph »

Hmm, yes Keith, that is definitely clearer in that image.
Is there the same difference when watching it directly ? - (I am wondering if there is some blurring due to the screen grab and timing ?) If it is the same when watching them side by side then that is pretty incredible. Is that on full screen ?
Is it possible to view the codec information giving resolution and timings ?

A 'real' 737 PFD, for example, is - from memory - around 1100 x 1100 pixels on 180mm x 180mm (254mm diagonal) display. Very few use anywhere near that as most are using HD monitors - 1366 x 768 @ 18.5" diagonal works out with an actual resolution of around 600 x 600 over the 180 x 180 area. On a 1080p 18.5 monitor it would be an actual size of 845 x 845 over the same 180 x 180 area. It will be interesting if Zibo take this into account when and if they build in the feature.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Keith Baxter

#30 Post by Keith Baxter »

HI,

This clip is with the instruments size 960 x 720 running on a 1920 x 1080 screen . left is the pop-out. Right the video

Keith