FS2020 Keyboard Stroke Generation?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Sling

Re: FS2020 Keyboard Stroke Generation?

#11 Post by Sling »

frumpy wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:03 pm
Ralph wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:14 pm No, we're also not going to introduce that, sorry.
May I ask for the reason behind this?
Speaking of me, I'm running several sims. I've got an old Saitek panel with gear lever and gear LEDs, which I would like to interface using AM.
Having a keyboard functionality would allow me to use only one single chip in the whole thing across simulators (okay, except LEDs in DCS).
This would greatly increase utility to me.
I’m yet to find anything that really needs this. If there were something it would be an edge case and there are other features that could be implemented before this that would better serve the wider community IMHO.

frumpy

#12 Post by frumpy »

To answer this question, AM would basically just be the interface to allow keyboard input. So everything a keyboard could to, AM would be able to do too.
This means there is less sim-specific programming needed, just "pin A2 high" = "A" or so. Once programmed, I can use this button across sims - just
by changing the input settings in the sim.
Second advantage would be some basic input to sims which are not supported, like DCS or PSX.

I see the point that this is not a perfect overall solution and there may be other ways to accomplish this (haven't checked message port yet), but overall this
would just make the software easier to access and more versatile.

jph

#13 Post by jph »

When I get time I will make a messageport HID keyboard using a PICO so you can send keystrokes from within AM in a simple manner
I can give no schedule on it though as I have a lot on at the moment.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

#14 Post by jph »

Edit to the above -
I had a brief look at this and it is not something I will pursue.
The HID driver is limited and also the resulting keystroke output during development is potentially destructive and I am not prepared to run the hid keyboard unit driving another machine for development.
However, If I ever find a personal use for it, I will revisit it.
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.