is there a way to save a text or csv file from AM ?

Peer support for Air Manager desktop users

Moderators: russ, Ralph

jph

Re: is there a way to save a text or csv file from AM ?

#11 Post by jph »

Keith Baxter wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:16 pm Wow Joe,
That last post grew as the day got longer.😂

I get the path you are exploring.

For me, I do not understand why AM has to use arduino library and load them taking up memory.

Simply loading a .json pointing to a chip make and configuration could save memory and provide ease of adding many chip types.

But I am not clever enough to know the ins and outs. Just my thoughts.

Hmmm :?: :?: :?:
Watch this space...

Keith
HI Keith
Without a control program on the micro end it knows nothing and can do nothing.
You can't send a command to a an arduino from am to, for example, turn on an led without several things being in place.
for example,
you would need to have an established communication protocol in place. 'Serial' is just the envelope in the mail system, what is inside the envelope is what matters and that all has to be completely defined in advance.
Then you would need to tell the arduino which pin to use and make that pin an output
Then know when to turn it on and off.
Without the code on the arduino it is as much use as a chocolate fire guard.
That code has to be written so that it works on different micros as each is programmed in a similar way but the actual underlying machine code program that is compiled is specific to that model of processor and board so you cant really have a one size fits all approach.

Corjan has done just what is described above. He has written a program that is compiled for different processors that allow basic functionality and communication between AM and the micro. That is what you flash onto the micro when using AM functions.
For general use it is fine, for something like a 737 cockpit then a completely different approach is needed (in my opinion of course) .
Luckily that is available in messageport and by having dedicated input boards and output boards doing specific tasks.
A button, a switch, an encoder - it doesn't matter - it is an input. Inputs can be handled in many many ways. Having a robust cheap board that just does digital inputs (of any kind), is cheap and robust and is large enough to have all the types of connectors you may desire is a far better option. This also leads to the ability to import lists of data supplied with Zibo, also to enumerate the actual list in code - as it is written - and pre convert to function calls prior to entering into AM (I am using excel at the moment).
If you have 200 inputs and 200 zibo commands / dataref calls then basically all you need to know is which input number applies to which enumerated position in the master command / dataref list that we have imported and have another simple table lookup prior to the call.
So if our setup program tells us that input 72 on out board is active when we turn on 'eng starter 1 right' and that enumerates to, say 54 in our master list then an input on input 72 now calls the function / command at enumeration 54 in the table.

A PROPER user setup option is available then and the user doesnt really have to care about the wiring or trying to trace it out with a multimeter etc etc, just wire it and then worry about what does what and have a nice visual representation of when something is active (as most professional cockpit hardware stuff does)

The above is somewhat simplified - but not much! .This to me is perfectly logical ? - maybe it's just me :D .

Part of the excel formatting directly from the published zibo data (ignore the 'toggles' - they will be removed with a selective search and replaced with datarefs where they are preferable. This is - again, an early test with adding the required formatting - there are still a few lines to add, but it gives you an idea.
Changes to Zibo can be easily accommodated. Changes to commands / datarefs etc are a breeze.
zibo test excel1.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

jph

Re: is there a way to save a text or csv file from AM ?

#12 Post by jph »

Here is a part of the setup for 'sismo' hardware
you can see a similar thing in operation. Simplicity for the user, but we can also have all these nice features with AM, and a hell of a lot cheaper, and better with more options and more flexibility ;) - we just have to do a bit of DIY . :lol:
sismo setup example.jpg
Joe. CISSP, MSc.