Trying to understand LUA and Xplane

Help creating logic scripts for Air Manager Instruments

Moderators: russ, Ralph

Kaellis991

Re: Trying to understand LUA and Xplane

#31 Post by Kaellis991 »

Loads of fun, even with the less expensive components, building a 737 cockpit is an expensive and time intensive hobby.
Maybe in my next life or even better yet learn to fly the real thing.

jph

#32 Post by jph »

Kaellis991 wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 5:45 pm Loads of fun, even with the less expensive components, building a 737 cockpit is an expensive and time intensive hobby.
Maybe in my next life or even better yet learn to fly the real thing.
Here's an idea for you....
Give United Airlines in Denver - HQ / Training centre - a call and ask about booking some time on one of their mode D simulators - full motion.
I spent a couple of days with them there in 2001 on the 200 and also the 300 MODE D sims and also classroom time.
You may be surprised at the price if they still do it ?. It wasn't outlandish at all. I think the flights across the pond cost more.

I was a LOT younger then though ..
This was their 200 -- what a beauty - I even got the high dive (depressurisation) certified in my log book as it was a mode D. (it is 21 years ago though)
Joe United Denver July2001.jpg
Joe
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#33 Post by Kaellis991 »

A friend of mine here in town that I fly right seat with in his Piper Arrow, used to attend that training center every 6 months in Denver when he was with United flying 787s. He says those are some great sims they have out there.
He couldnt get me in for a ride, and now hes retired.

jph

#34 Post by jph »

The room with the sims in was enormous, like a hanger, there were, I am guessing, possibly 15 or more. Some static, some full motion. Also the classrooms had static main instrument panels - fully operational - and overheads, no quadrants and pedestal as they were purely procedural. He will know if they still do it. ?
Many people have set up ther own businesses with home built cockpits but the real job has to be the best as they have all the control loading and forces set superbly and it just IS right. As soon as you take your seat you are there. You can also get the jump seats when others are training. Best money I ever spent. I was going to go to British Airways but it was actually cheaper to fly over the pond to Denver, have a week there in a nice hotel, spend 2 days at United, then a week in Las Vegas at the Pyramid (via Pheonix to see some flightsim buddies from the Avsim and flightsim forums.). Far cheaper.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#35 Post by Kaellis991 »

I could drive 5 hours north to the Delta Air museum in Atlanta and for $425.00 get a 1 hour ride in a full motion 737-200 sim.
All steam gauges. no glass in those.

jph

#36 Post by jph »

Theres an option!.
The pic I posted is the 200, it is awesome, you would love that. :D
I would still try the big airlines first becuase if you go wth a group you will get more time in the sim. We had 10 hours classroom on systems and 5 hours each in the sim. It was less than a grand as it was organised for potential pilots to get a taste before paying big bucks ..... thats what you need to look for, not joy rides as some call them. You get inredible value for money. Approach it like a student looking to a career. Age isnt a barrier. They kmow they will get some flight enthusiasts.
Joe. CISSP, MSc.

Kaellis991

#37 Post by Kaellis991 »

According to United website thay have an auction deal for high mileage frequent flyers, but do not offer anything for the general public.

Kaellis991

#38 Post by Kaellis991 »

Vegas has some 737s with glass.